It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Static Sky's Cipher Game

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SpookyVince

Well done Spooky!!

I tried so many different ways, but as per usual, not that one.

Thats a weight off my shoulders.

Good cipher Static.

Fox.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
In about an hour fifteen, "Zero" hits 1000 points. A (small) clue......

Think of a clothes line. Similar idea. Cheers and good luck all.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Thanks a lot
Of course, like said already, when you spot it, it instantly becomes so very obvious! But I must say that "Zero" one is quite strange!!

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
"Zero" hits 1100 points in about 15 minutes. Another small clue. The number of letters in my name is as important as my name. Good luck and thanks for playing.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
"Zero" has been at 1200 points for a little over half an hour now. To solve it you must keep in mind the a-b-c=1-2-3 system as well. A few different methods combine to make this type of cipher. Thanks for playing and Good luck.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
In about an hour twenty, "Zero" hits 1300 points. I suggest you review all the clues I've given on it so far. Particularly the first couple clues. And with that, perhaps the word 'Kangaroo', will come to mean something. (But only if you look in the right places).

Thanks for playing and good luck everyone.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
EDIT: Sorry double post, solution displayed incorrectly and most of post was missing.

Fox.

[edit on 14/10/08 by fox_3000au]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
OK.

The answer to "ZERO":

THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE ISNT HATE RATHER ITS DISINTEREST

Solution:

Take the cipher,

eppstohoiooletvefittarsenhaetidtshrinresseitt

The number of letters = 45

StaticSky = 9

45/5=9 so we divide the cipher up into groups of nine:

E_O_T_E_N
P_O_T_T_R
P_L_A_I_E
S_E_R_D_S
T_T_S_T_S
O_V_E_S_E
H_E_N_H_I
O_F_H_R_T
I_I_A_I_T

Staticsky being the key, number the letters of the key in alphabetical order:

S T A T I C S K Y

S T A T I C S K Y
***1***2

And so on, till you get:

S T A T I C S K Y
5 7 1 8 3 2 6 4 9

With the rearranged cipher that we have above, number the rows as such:

1 E_O_T_E_N
2 P_O_T_T_R
3 P_L_A_I_E
4 S_E_R_D_S
5 T_T_S_T_S
6 O_V_E_S_E
7 H_E_N_H_I
8 O_F_H_R_T
9 I_I_A_I_T

Back too the key:

S T A T I C S K Y
5 7 1 8 3 2 6 4 9

Starting with S which equals 5, row 5 in our rearranged cipher becomes the first row in our solution. T = 7 and becomes our second row. A = 1 and becomes our third row.... etc etc.

So we have:

5 T_T_S_T_S
7 H_E_N_H_I
1 E_O_T_E_N
8 O_F_H_R_T
3 P_L_A_I_E
2 P_O_T_T_R
6 O_V_E_S_E
4 S_E_R_D_S
9 I_I_A_I_T

Reading down the columns, we have the solution.

Sorry about the long explanation...

Cheers, Fox.

EDIT: Solution came out horribly wrong, and most of my post was missing.

[edit on 14/10/08 by fox_3000au]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fox_3000au

Brilliant job, fox_300au! Wow! I thought it would last a little longer but you nailed it. Perfect explaination, too. Well done, my friend. I'll let MemoryShock know that you're due another 1300 points. I'll also start work on a new cipher. Thanks for playing fox. Be well.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

Thanks Static.

Too tell you the truth I knew what the cipher involved from the start and was about too give up tonight, you wouldn't belive the amount of work I had too do on this. Just so happens that I was doing the columns the wrong way all the long!
I even went through double transposition and rails and in reverse and EVERYTHING! Grrrrr.

I knew that I was still on the right track from the clues you gave... the last one KANGAROO was a reference too the text that I had read a few days prior, but I still don't get the "clothesline" clue, unless it's one of those pull out space saving ones?

Cheers, and thanks for the bad nerves. lol
Fox.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fox_3000au

For the "clothesline" clue, I just wanted to plant the image of a long horizontal line, with things hanging verticaly down off of it. Too vague? And I love that you knew what "Kangaroo" was refering to. And I thought that clue was vague. LOL.

I've already sent MemoryShock a U2U in regards to your points. No word back yet but no worries. MS always comes through. Thanks again for playing. Cheers.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Alright. A new code. I call it "Janus 3" or "J3".

***Janus 3***

VBIARJ EB VJFIBV, KQA VJFIBV FQ VXME K VRUW
HY CM BL GUJE'K BCGYLFM, HTK YJUXT'K BCY YVCXCZ
PLEP GXQCH FI DXRIH PX ODMCI EP EWUPLMWK

As of now, "J3" is at 500 points and growing. Thanks for playing and good luck.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
WOW!! Well done fox_3000au!! That's a brilliant job! I was very far away from it...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Man, I was making that WAY too complicated. Thanks as always for detailing out your work so thoroughly

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
In about 45 minutes, "J-3" will go to 600 points. The title of this code is very important to its solution. Good luck all. Peace.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Thanks for the cheers everyone.

I think I'm a little greyer now than I was. lol

Cheers, Fox.

...and good luck all.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
"J-3" is at 700 points. I'm thinking of adding another on the weekend sometime but we'll see how busy I end up being. Anyways, a clue for J-3.

One key will solve this, but not just one time. Maybe redundancy is the key. Good luck and peace.

[edit on 10/16/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Janus was the roman god of gates and doors and could see both forwards and backwards through time at once

i figured 3 meant it was three letters shifting either forward or backward so lay out my alphabet

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

then i stared at the whole quote for a little bit

VBIARJ EB VJFIBV, KQA VJFIBV FQ VXME K VRUW
HY CM BL GUJE'K BCGYLFM, HTK YJUXT'K BCY YVCXCZ
PLEP GXQCH FI DXRIH PX ODMCI EP EWUPLMWK

i decided the best way to do it was to drop one word down at a time and try to crack it by trying each option of shifting the letters forward and backward

VBIARJ EB VJFIBV KQA VJFIBV FQ VXME K VRUW

SELDOM HE SMILES, HTY SMILES CN SUJH H SORT
YYFXUP BY YPCFYY, KND IT YAPB E YUXZ

like so. some of the letters didn't directly translate but i broke the cipher enough to realize it was a quote from Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

"SELDOM HE SMILES, AND SMILES IN SUCH A SORT AS IF HE MOCK'D HIMSELF, AND SCORN'D HIS SPIRIT THAT COULD BE MOVED TO SMILE AT ANYTHING"

hope i got the quote right lol

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Barathrum

Hi Barathrum. Great job! You're exactly right! This is the first time someone has cracked a code partially, but figured out the solution without fully cracking it. Nicely done.

For the record, (and a great description of Janus by the way), I layed the alphabet out in front of me. I devided it in the middle, between M and N, as I recall. A-M are shifted 3 to the left. N-Z are shifted 3 to the right. For the second line of the code, I used the shifted alphabet I'd made and applied the same shift again. And I shifted it again for the third line.

I will let MemoryShock know that I owe you 700 points. Congratulations again, and thanks for playing.

Edit to add- I wanted to mention that I used the 'Caeser' quote because Julius Caeser himself is thought to be the likely inventer of the 'shift' code type, that is the basis of the"J-3" code. Cheers.

[edit on 10/17/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
cool! that was a lot of fun

my gf makes me watch television so my brain needed a good old fashioned workout

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join