It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Static Sky's Cipher Game

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Still stumped... :bnghd:

What about an hint on the lights, Ian?
Come on... we want to hear something about the lights... "enlight" us, please!

[edit on 4-3-2009 by danamoon]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by danamoon

Okay.

Clockwork Orange

Hints

1. There are 25 letters in the ciphertext alphabet.
2. There are 18 letters in the solution.
3. Don't be distracted by the lights.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

I was so hoping those lights were the key

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm sorry folks, but I've got to say, that's hilarious! I've been chasing the lights around for most of the last couple days. Turns out I was doing something similar to a cat chasing a pen light point on the wall or floor. LOL. I love that third clue! Good stuff, Ian. LOL.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
In a little under an hour, "Clockwork Orange" will be at 1300 points! Starting to get up there now. And I'm back to the drawing board......

I think Americandingbat put it pretty nicely when she said ":bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:"

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I've got it!

QUINTESSENTIALISED

How I solved it:

First, I figured that the 25-letter cipher having no Q is the clue that the coded word begins with a Q.

Then, since every letter represents a different letter, I replaced all the other letters until I made a word.

Very clever, Ian!

P.S. Just kidding. I'm still as lost as ever on this one.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuning Spork

Interesting! I'll have to look and see if that matches, but that is not the answer the puzzle was made to represent.

Besides it being a sort of tradition in cipher-making, I omitted the letter 'Q' from the puzzle because it's the only uppercase letter that has a descender and it didn't fit neatly into the little boxes I modeled.

Edit: LOL, I see you were just kidding - but there ya go, another clue for all.

[edit on March 5th 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
In less than an hour now, "Clockwork Orange" moves up to 1400 points. As always, good luck to all and keep at it. Cheers.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Good afternoon, puzzlers. Hmm, does the term 'puzzlers' refer to puzzling people, or people solving puzzles? Well, moot point, I guess.

I hope everyone is still having fun with "Clockwork Orange", and hasn't given up in frustration more than, oh, two or three times yet. Keep at it!

An addition hint has been added. Good luck, everyone!

Clockwork Orange

Hints

4. The puzzle title contains a key piece of information.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Thank you Ian. I never give up. Not sure if it's because I'm just that determined, or if perhaps I'm not quite smart enough to. LOL. And we will hit 1500 points in about 2 hours. So thare's a bit of incentive, too. Good luck everyone! And have a great weekend!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Is it relevant that each letter is always the same number of letters away regardless of when the 'rotation' is stopped (pressing the Esc key)?

Example: After pressing the esc key the first letter will be, say, a "P". The second letter will then be a "T", seperated from the first letter by three (using the chronological alphabet as a guide). Regardless of the letter, the spacing is consistent.

No idea if that means anything though...

Edit: Sorry. I think Tuning Spork already made that observation...

[edit on 6-3-2009 by TrustMeIKnow]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Would it be the same puzzle if the letters never changed? Can we play 20 questions with this one since I'm still stumped? Do we have to rewatch the movie if we haven't seen it in twenty years?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrustMeIKnow
Example: After pressing the esc key the first letter will be, say, a "P". The second letter will then be a "T"

Welcome to the fun TMIK!

Good observation, but allow me to point out: the specific example you give is inaccurate.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Just wanted to say hi to all (Static... ) and further declare I have no idea how any of you can solve these things...

Edit for spelling.

[edit on Fri, 06 Mar 2009 22:38:57 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Hints

4. The puzzle title contains a key piece of information.

Okay. So Ian suggested that the example I utilized was inaccurate which it was due to my laziness.

Now, if we count the difference between each letter based on the chronological alphabet we get the following sequence:

3, 17, 11, 17, 14, 21, 19, 1, 17, 16, 8, 11, 17, 22, 13, 24, 8, 8.

The example used in this instance was the following set:

X B T F W L H B D V
M V H Z W K J S B

If one refers to hint #2, one will notice that the answer is 18 letters in the solution which happens to be the same amount of numbers I provided above. Coincedence or an indication that the correct path is being trodden?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Welcome to the frey "TrustMeIKnow", and it's great to see you "MemoryShock"! For anyone who doesn't know, this thread was made possible by MemoryShock's efforts, working between myself and the Mods, to help me get the rulles worked out and points awarded. Thanks again "MemoryShock".

And in all honesty, it's since Ian McLean agreed to create some puzzles for this thread, that it's really gone to a new level. So thanks again Ian McLean, and I defer that 'cheers' to you.

Good luck all and thanks for playing!

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
1600 points and still rolling, now. Keep at it. Something's got to give.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I can feel people getting closer to the solution of this puzzle.

Keep at it, folks! I encourage everyone to re-read the previous discussion and ideas, as well as the hints.

-Ian

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
1700 points in a little over an hour, now. I agree, Ian. I feel like someones going to crack it soon, too. But it won't be me.
Good luck everyone!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
"Clockwork Orange" will be at 1800 points in about 15-20 minutes or so. Lets bring it down soon, folks. I'm excited to see what Ian's got in store next. Good luck everyone.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join