It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real CT's use Scanners.. do you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So a few weeks back I purchased a Radio Shack pro-96

At the time, I didn't know the first thing about Trunking systems, analog or digital. There is a learning curve, but it's not really that steep. I've since learned. And now I'm actually adding TalkGroup ID info to my local scanner database.

I also had to learn Police codes/signals in order to understand conversations like...

A220 Signal 89...
...A220 Code 10

I'm still in the process of weaning myself from my reference cards... but It's much easier now.

I currently can receive transmissions from aircraft, police, fire, rescue, School buses, FedEx, The Airport, Detectives, Courts, Animal Control, you name it. This gives FOIA a whole new meaning, and in Real Time.

As I speak, someone just held up a Dept Store down the road from me, and the police are chasing him down.

Now, with Trunking systems the way they are today, I can hear everything around the entirety of Atlanta and all of it's suburbs. That's quite a lot of coverage.

Anyway, I completely recommend anyone who wants to really know what is happening around them ala RF, go pick up one of these. Mine cost $379.

Then go to Radio Reference and Scan America

Now you CAN get Scanner feeds from this last site, but I recommend getting the scanner, so that you can control the Talkgroup IDs and pick up TONS more than are offered in these feeds; as well as take it with you.

Are you really a Conspiracy Theorist? Then you need to get a scanner.

As an added bonus.. run this thing around your Microwave when you are cooking something.... Yep.. now you know where NOT to stand.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
What a great idea! Always wanted to have police scanners.
Now, I've just got to save up my money.
I bet if you looked into it, you could overlap military communications.
Also, short wave radio picks up radio broadcasts from around the world (of course, I'd be limited to news in English (aka American).

(My neighbor used to have a police scanner in his garage, maybe some of the older ones, that are not portable, cost less. Or used ones.)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by counterterrorist

I actually can pick up stuff from the local military bases as well!

I'm really really enjoying it.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Evidently there aren't many folks with scanners out here.

How do you perform investigations without scanners?

I'd like to know.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Good thread and idea!

When we lived in the U.S., we always listened to our scanner. We still have it, but there's nothing to pick up here.

The military channels used to be near the microwave frequencies, and they also used frequencies that were not receivable without precision crystals (chips). We were able to glean a lot of info from police, fire, etc. Of course, at that time, I was part of a S&R team, so needed to know what was afoot. Because this was a government-sponsored team, we also had transceiver ability and various hierachies of command and control were imposed.

I agree, it's a great tool, as during an emergency event, you can often get info that doesn't make the mainstream airwaves. Just one caution: Sometimes people will report or say things that are later found to be an errant and subjective statement, so try to not take everything as gospel, unless confirmed by another source. This is particularly true for initial reports of aerial observations, and law enforcement actions. In regard to law enforcement, officers often ask questions, but their deadpan manner of speaking doesn't always make it sound like a question. Listen for words like "confirm" or "copy" or similar things after a statement to figure out questions. That'll save you from taking a question of something potentially fantastic as a statement.

happy listening

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I completely agree. It should be standard equipment for doomsdayers and CT's

It would help with evacuation and police activity when sit-X occurs.

I would suggest craigslist for used scanners for those of us low on funds.

Good thread

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Tuebor]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I am a self-confessed total radio nerd, and also the owner of two 96s. You have to understand that just about any scanner (with a handful of exceptions) that RS sells is more of a "consumer-grade" one than a "hardcore hobbyist" model, and the 96 is being cleared out now to make room for a newer scanner coming in a couple months that looks much better. If you like what you are experiencing now, the hobby will only get better with nicer equipment.

That said, if you become seriously into monitoring, look into a receiver made by AOR, in my opinion they make the finest ones on the market. I have an AOR 5000 base unit and an 8200 handheld, but those rarely leave the house (would not want to risk theft); I use my cheaper but decent RS 2096 when mobile and the 96 for event scanning.

But before you even think of a better receiver, get the best antenna setup you can.

I do not want to derail the thread; if you want to learn about radio there are a zillion sites out there to help you. I would recommend joining a local amateur radio club and learning the hobby hands-on as well, you can find ARRL affiliated clubs on the ARRL website, while many others are listed on the QRZ website.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by therainmaker

RainMaker,
Thanks for the input!
I am definitely loving my 96. I've pretty much got the key sequences memorized, and am having a great time memorizing the PD Codes/Signals.

I've already got the bug to try some other equipment. I have the "Practical Antenna Book" that I purchased a while back. Hoping to do one of those wires in the attic antennae.

Thanks again for all the info.

I definitely recommend people get into this hobby.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Ouch cough 2500 for the base station and 800 for hand held anything else you can recommend a tad cheaper for those getting interested or do you need to get the best to start with?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by drift393
Ouch cough 2500 for the base station and 800 for hand held anything else you can recommend a tad cheaper for those getting interested or do you need to get the best to start with?

My hand held cost $379

That is with Digital Trunking, which is what you need in most metro areas.

top topics

join