It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: Where did the whole "2012 Mayan Calender, End of the World" scenario come from?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
My question is for anyone who has been following this for a while (like 10+ Years)

Where did the whole "2012 Mayan Calender, End of the World" scenario come from?

Now, correct me if I'm wrong when I say that 2012 isn't the end of the Mayan calender, but instead is the end of a cycle (like a very very long year).

The reason I ask is because I am 21 years old and I first heard of 2012 maybe 3-4 years ago. Back then I don't think a lot of people were familiar with 2012, but now most 8 year old kids are up to date with the whole situation.

I am starting to wonder if the whole 2012 scenario is government DISINFORMATION.... (For what purpose I'm not sure)

[Bonus] For anyone who hasn't read "Zeta Talk - Safe Places for 2012" it explains about what they believe will happen with Planet X manipulating the earth's magnetics and where the 'Safe" locations will be.
It is defiantly worth a glance.

Thanks for reading, any input?

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Barrere42]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Barrere42

You're right, the calendar doesn't end in 2012 it ends in 4772 AD on October 12/13. The whole 2012 thing is just a myth created and promoted by people to drive traffic to their websites.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Barrere42
My question is for anyone who has been following this for a while (like 10+ Years)

Where did the whole "2012 Mayan Calender, End of the World" scenario come from?

It started in the 1990's, if memory serves me. As it has grown in popularity, even the Mayans are beginning to think it's one of their old prophecies. It most certainly is not, for there are stelae that refer to dates long after 2012.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong when I say that 2012 isn't the end of the Mayan calender, but instead is the end of a cycle (like a very very long year).

Right. They would have had festivals and so forth (if their culture had survived) and then the calendar would restart. They would have had no need for Staples or Office Depot because the same calendar worked for the next "long count" cycle.

I am starting to wonder if the whole 2012 scenario is government DISINFORMATION.... (For what purpose I'm not sure)

Nope. New Ager/End of the Worlder disinformation. It sells books, so everyone's eager to publish on a doomer prophecy.

[Bonus] For anyone who hasn't read "Zeta Talk - Safe Places for 2012" it explains about what they believe will happen with Planet X manipulating the earth's magnetics and where the 'Safe" locations will be.
It is defiantly worth a glance.

...for the amount of humor there. Dear Nancy has been predicting "Planet X" for 8 years now. First it was coming in 2000, then 2003, then that was a practice run and now it's definately here but orbiting the sun and being cloaked and any second now it's gonna bust loose for 2012.

I'm sure she'll have another round after 2012. There was a great falling away after her 2003 charade (it was DEFINATELY coming in April... no, wait.. the Zetans decided to lie to avoid panic, it was coming in June after all and you could see the cloud of moons like a stampede of cattle trailing after it (I kid you not. I read all this stuff and was one of the debunkers trying to reassure the hysterical that Planet X did not and could not exist.))

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
~ Popol Vuh ~

Part IV of the Popol Vuh, ends with the genealogies of the tribes of Quiche
'who finally come to an end' !

IMHO: ( i suggest that the popol vuh 'end' of the Quiche Maya,
was intentionally sensationalized to mean the greater macroworld...)

source: www.utexas.edu...

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
For the record, the end of the world scenarios that some people spout is very wrong. The end of the Mayan calendar is the end of an age, or era. It means that their calendar has run out and they have to start over in the new age.
Astrologically speaking, we are currently in the age of Pisces. The next age, beginning near the end of 2012 begins the age of Aquarius. The doomsayers want this to signify the end of the world, when really it is just (as the song says) the "end of the world as we know it".

Astrological signifigance pertains to the way in which the cosmos aligns itself in each age. Will this enhance the cosmic enlightenment of the masses? Will it bring an age of reason or disillusion? Will it come and go as quietly as a solstice?

No one knows. There is only speculation. There are a lot more prophetic symbols built into the world that conclude in the same time frame, such as the Great Pyramid of Giza, whose corridor map ends around the same time.

Anthropologist, archeologist, and astologists have all studied the Mayan calendar, as well as other time symbols and there is no real conclusion that can be made, only speculation.

I am looking forward to seeing what will happen. I am personally hopeful for the best and hope that if something cosmic does happen, it brings with it a spiritual enlightenment beyond that of modern religion.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Barrere42

I have thought about this myself. From my personal research I think the end of the Mayan calender, is just that, the end of that calender. I think everything goes in cycles. 60 sec in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 365 days in a year ... etc.

Right now my desk calender ends on December 31st, 2008, but I would be labeled a "nut job" if I went around spouting off end of the world senerios because of the "proof" that my desk calender ends in 2008.

That being said, it was an extremely "long" calender and I would open to the possibility that some sort of rare occurance (not necessarily something destructive) may happen or as was previous stated the end of an era. I think we are in an "enlightment" era right now. Websites such as ATS have certainly open my eyes to new and amazing ideas.

Though I expect the year of 2012 will come and pass just like any other year, I am open to the idea that something extrodinary will happen, just as I am open to the idea that something extrodinary will happen today if I keep my eyes and mind open.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The Maya didnt invent the calender that they used, that honor goes to the olmecs, but they did add on to it and refine it.

The maya didnt believe that the world was going to end, sort of.
The Long Count calender does reset ,reaching the count of 13 b'ak'tun, on dec 20 2012, and the 14th baktun starts on dec 21 2012.
The previous creation lasted for a count 13 b'ak'tun before the gods destroyed the world and recreated it. That does not mean that the current world will end on that date.

What I find interesting is that, in the Mesoamerican creation story, and what follows is a very quick and loose telling of such.
The gods created man from wood but he had no soul, and didnt worship the gods. So, in anger the gods destroyed man with "a resinous black rain" and the Great flood ensued.
The previous men who survived were made into monkeys.
Then theres monkey twins and Hero twins and the hero twins defeat
the under world houses of Fire, Gloom, Cold, Knives, Jaguars and Bats.
The the first real men are born and then there are the first tribes that speaks one tongue. Then the languages fragment and the tribes disperse.
And so on.

They remembered the great North American catastrophe 12,000 years ago.

Clearly the earliest mesoamericans had an interest in watching the skies going a long way back.
Parts of the calender are based on astronomical observations that could only be made over a very long period of time.
Maybe they saw a comet in the night sky and kept track of it, one of the gods moving in the heavens.
Then then one time it comes back around and WHAM, and the world they know ends.

top topics

join