It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One-Way Trip to Mars: Would You Go?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Let me set the scene for you.

It's 2020, NASA, as usual, is suffering from budget overruns and internal political issues. Expected time until launch is 5 years with no more problems.

Russia and China have joined together to put a man from either country on Mars by 2022 and their Mars program is right on schedule for a successful launch.

With the risk of embarrassment looming, NASA comes up with an ambitious plan to put a man on Mars before the end of the year using what they have completed thus far. The catch is; it's a one way trip. NASA can get you there but the system that was planned to create fuel on the surface for the return trip is not yet complete.

You will be sent with the means to extract O2 from the atmosphere, liquid water from the ground and enough food to last for the trip there plus one year on the surface.

NASA would send a resupply ship, unmanned, but by the time it would be ready, Mars would be at it's furthest from Earth and unable to reach you before your food runs out.

Being the caring individuals they are at NASA, you would be provided a cyanide capsule to use as an alternative to dying a painful death due to hunger and malnutrition.

Of course you would be an international hero, go down in history as the first man to walk on another planet and be remembered for making the ultimate unselfish sacrifice for your country and man kind. Schools, bridges, stretches of highway, libraries, stadiums, parks, etc. would be named after you.

Part of the deal is also that your immediate family would be taken care of for life.

So, would you volunteer for a one way trip to Mars? Why or why not?

PS: Try to refrain from poking holes in my back story
Only on ATS would that be something I would expect to happen lol. The story is there to aid in setting the scene for your line of thought. Assume: Your death is certain, you can't make the food last longer to say wait for the Russians (see that one coming
)

[edit on 8-9-2008 by ANoNyMiKE]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Bizarre yet interesting question, I don't think I would unless I had more reason too, the fame is not enough motivation, being the first man on Mars would be pretty cool and I would certainly like to see the sun rise and set on another world, experiencing zero g in space would be cool also but still I could most likely have a better time down here on Earth.

If I found out I was going to die in only a few years I would go, no reason not to, otherwise most likely not.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Here's my thinking.

First what do you expect to come of your life? What is it that qualifies your life as a success? Money? Starting a family and having children? Recognition? Gaining knowledge?

I would go. Because although I feel that thus far my life has been fairly successful and I'm happy with it; there's nothing I could do that could top that kind of accomplishment if I lived much much longer. I'll never be able to acquire more recognition for my accomplishments than in doing something like this, I'll never be able to contribute more to society in the form of new knowledge and understanding than in doing this, I'll never be able to make a more significant difference in any sense.

I feel if I embarked on such a mission it would allow me to do so much more in a thus shortened life span than I could in a longer one otherwise. I would be happy contributing more in a shorter time than insignificantly in a longer one.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

wow, part of me would love to go, but I don't know if I would be happy all alone. Maybe if I were to go with a few friends(with a high ration of women to men) with several thousand mre's, and plenty of cool stuff to keep us entertained, I would go.

But I enjoy life here on earth for the most part and love meeting new people and traveling so I would most likely have to decline.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
In this scenario, you left out what other tech and science would be allowed. If the means to extract water and air are available, then there is a chance to create a greenhouse habitat. In the year left of the packaged food, there is a chance to grow enough food to sustain, in some fashion, until the resupply ship arrived.

As well, imagine the science and archeology that could be accomplished in a year. Are there means to transmit information back to Earth? If so, even without the extended food supply, the amount of information that a person could send back from just one square yard of surface beats anything a static robot could ever discover.

Imagine finding a cave environment that perhaps tunnels down into the planet. It would be amazing to finally be the one that proves once and for all what type of lifeform did or still does live there.

I would do it. Regardless of my families long term benefit and having my name immortalized, I would do it for the simple fact of being the first to do something of this magnitude. Beam me up Houston.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Yeah if I had a terminal illness, I'd sign up in a heartbeat. but if I was fit and healthy. I must admit it would be hard to turn down the chance to become one of the most famous people in human history.

And as 'Wheresthetruth' said, If I could take water reclaimators, and hydroponic planting systems, whats to stop me growing my own food. If you could survive a couple of years, you might be able to thumb a lift back with the Russians/Chinese.

Peace.....

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I'd do tit in a heartbeat

I'd ask only one personal thing... a solar powered internet connection sturdy and made to last for many years so i could video blog my experience and access the net (albeit slowly siiigh)

I am 100% certain with what you list and a few items I could establish myself and survive long enough until supplies came

Poster up top had it right, caves, I'd have my own fresh water in weeks, I'd have shelter not long after that (so long as I could pick landing destination)

I can think of many things to bring I could grow under ground... My wants technologically would be solar panels and the line to go as much as a couple thousand feet into a cave if need be, for light, for UV light... I'd want to deal with algae, mushrooms and other very basic organisms

basic sustinance, water is plenty,

and thats it... wouldn't take much...

a simple robot to clean the solar panels outside in the event of a dust storm would help, oxygen being extracted would need power...a storm could leave me with an empty suit...

I could survive, there would be more...

and you know the price is low anyway, something the size of a nuclear sub that could land, carried a nuclear power supply and built for 3-4 people would be perfect

doesn't need to be able to lift off again, just land and make water and air and have a good grow room...

beats the heck out of a cave... that's ideal

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Wouldnt it make more sense to send someone who was nearing the end of their natural life maybe someone in their 70's etc... someone who may not have anything to keep them here.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
One question: Are Martian chicks freaky-deaky green cosmic babes who are desperate to get it on with manly James Tee Kirk space-hunk types like me? If so, then I'm there dude.

Otherwise, no thanks. Mars is a rock. All alone on a desert planet with knowledge that your own death is but a year away and it's too late to change your mind? You would be regretting your decision within a week, stir-crazy within 3 months, and chomping down that cyanide pill after 6 months. All that so they can name some crappy bridge after you? A bridge which you will never get to see anyway? Bzzzt! Pass.

Would Armstrong have gone if he'd known for sure it was one way? I doubt it.

You'll need to make the package a bit more attractive, my friend. Now about them green space babes....

[edit on 2008-9-8 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsRus
Wouldnt it make more sense to send someone who was nearing the end of their natural life maybe someone in their 70's etc... someone who may not have anything to keep them here.

I would imagine the financial investment of such an operation would dictate that the candidate would have to be in top physical shape in order to survive the trip and accomplish the mission. Otherwise it would be a huge waste.

I don't think I could do it. One year in complete isolation on another planet would probably drive me to insanity. I bet many people would swallow their cyanide capsules before their mission was up.

Part of me would love to see it first hand and would love the idea of doing it. The realistic part of me knows that it would be a bad idea and I would end up killing myself.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I would go in a flash! No question man!!!! Thats my dream.... I believe in reincarnation so death is no issue for me... If I could I would!!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I would go on a one way trip, but id rather it be more organised than the shambles and rush of that scenario, still it would be worth thinking about at least and im sure there would be many takers.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I'm 74 years of age - pick me.

I would go in a heartbeat, but I could also drop dead at any moment.

At least you wouldn't feel guilty sending someone who's already lived a full and long life.

And I'm a veteran, a Doctor and a Grandfather - who better to present the human race - and our inherent schizogenesis.

There will be no masonic flag.

Edit: I only eat 1500 calories a day, and I'm slow. I know my age would be a risk, but so what? Old people are less likely to go nuts on the journey.

You need one of us there to hold the line against the communists. I am from a superior Generation.... and I'll be taking an extra round of ammo in that capsule, not a suicide pill. Did i mention I'm a former Lieutenant Colonel?

I'd bet money the communists are already on mars and the moon - You are Right OP, it will be a suicide mission

[edit on 9-9-2008 by TruthTellist]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I'm already there man. Thank god, finally some peace and quiet, and no more of those pesky homosapiens around. Maybe, just maybe, the IRS won't find me here.

As for water, the extraction system works great, and so far, it looks like it'll keep humming for years.

Damndest thing, I planted some of the experimental seed that NASA sent me here with, and in two weeks time there was the strangest field of green wheat up to my waist. I tell you, the marvels of science.

Oh yeah, and one last thing about Mars. If you really believe it's as dead as it looks, then stay on earth, because I'm keeping all the superfine martian women for myself. Kirk gets sloppy seconds.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I guess I'm ready to completely abandon my planet to go die 5 million miles from home. Sure, sign me up.

Oh, and if NASA can't fit me in the shuttle for the next launch, the next passing Saucer will do just as nicely.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hello ATS members, a first time poster here. - Long time lurker.

In regards to the question, it certainly is interesting and thought-provoking. Although I am only 19 and possibly have many, many years ahead of me I would almost certainly answer 'yes'.

I've always dreamed of touching down on a celestial body; be it Mars, the Moon or any other planet located deep within the Cosmos.

I could picture the initial excitement and hysteria of being chosen for such a experiment being out-of-this-world. However, I could imagine the vast journey also holding some serious psychological problems along the way which i'd quite obviously have to confront.

The thought of knowing you're going to die shortly as soon as that rocket blasts into the atmosphere along with the enormous time it would take to reach Mars could potentially be very unpleasant enough for me to reconsider my original choice on whether i'd want to go or not.

Although i'd take into account the possible effects it could have on me very thoughfully I would almost guarantee the answer would be yes. I know very well i'd die happy on Mars.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'd go. Legacy is the meaning of life and the first man on Mars is a hell of a legacy.

Does anyone remember "Virgle" in April last? Richard Branson did a short video claiming that Virgin and Google had joined to fund the first Mars colony. All you had to do to be potential pioneer was submit a short video on why you should go.

One of the best April Fool's ever.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Yes.

Please get me off this rock, it's full of crazy people who want to blow each other to bits because it makes them feel "tough."

I'd rather my fate be determined by my own efforts than by crazy people I don't even know.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

I would go in a heartbeat. Not for the fame or any other nonsense, but to have the opportunity to go to space and explore for my own personal benefit. I am completely amazed with space and anything involved with it. Sure I would have signed my own death warrant, but at least I'd die a happy person. My death would be the perfect ending in my book. Of course there is the family left behind on earth that would be sad, but they'd understand knowing space exploration is my passion.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
One-Way Trip to Mars: Would You Go?

Without a second's hesitation.

The only alternative is an arctic expedition or building a house underwater for a bit of fun

I'd also volunteer to do the Buck Rogers bit.. Blasted out into space,frozen and return 500 years later to hook up with Wilma Deering in spandex.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I would also go without hesitation. Fame would not matter one bit, just to be able to go to Mars would be enough for me. God, just thinking about it.....

I actually told my daughter this, without thinking how she would feel. She was sad, and then I felt horrible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join