It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increased Aircraft Activity ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Hello,

The reason why i thought i would make a thread on this subject is that i have noticed it for a couple of weeks and it seems to be getting more frequent.

I am living around western Sydney at the moment and over the past couple of weeks i have noticed quite allot of aircraft flying around.

Not only planes, but there are heaps of police choppers flying around too.
I thought they might be doing something at first but its a far sight worse now then it was when it started.

I have been spotlighted a couple times by the police choppers while walking at night and the other week me and my mate heard what sounded like a very powerful plane, i was at the shops at this time but my friend who was elsewhere actually saw what it was as well as hearing it (It was really loud) and he said it looked like a millitary jet and it was flying really low .

So yeah, Has anyone else noticed this in your area? and if so does anyone know why theres police choppers and such buzzing around near our homes all of a sudden?

Just curious .

Omega

This isnt just for people in Australia or near where i am, i am curious if this is happening abroad aswell

[edit on 8/9/2008 by Omega85]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Dude, I live in CA and I can definitely say I've seen an increase in military aircraft. And for that matter, the train seems to be much more frequent as well. At this rate, I'll never get any sleep.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MrGrieves

CA? thats California right??

So its happening there too?

The whole thing seems strange.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Well, as we are moving into more troubled times, some locations may be increasing their air sweeps over populated areas in particular. Are you able to tell what kind of aircraft they are besides jets and helicopters? Just night, or day too?

As to the train matter, that may just be to increase public transporation and reduce carbon emissions, not necessarily in relation to any form of national security, other than that of air quality.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Reply to Shugo

Um, Theres definitely police choppers during the day and at night aswell (You can tell because of there lights) but i have seen a couple of black army looking ones too during the day, so its a constant thing day and night.

There are 2 army bases and a RAAF base in my general area.
I have seen alot of commercial aircraft but lately theres alot of craft that you dont see on a day to day basis generally . At night you can hear them aswell and they sound like there all over the place, but you only see a couple.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
It could be a number of things, including training, or air patrols. As said, times have gotten more dangerous so the air force may find it necessary to run more patrols. There are frequently helicopters here, as we have a nearby national guard station.

I wouldn't think that it's something to be concerned about per say. But it's certainly something that can freak one out if they are not used to it.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Yeah,

I mean, its not that im freaked out about it im just curious.
Its interestin, ya know.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
you have to keep me posted on this. I live in western sydney and I have been feeling this situation for months now. Especially since my encounter one night at the start of the year. The noise some nights of the planes fly-over are pretty noisy and I keep getting this uncomfortable feeling. I can understand if its a chopper because we have a hospital close by and they have a helipad, but the frequent fly overs by what i am pretty sure are military planes because of the low altitude i have not been able to explain.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The military is always flying around here. Nothing new about that. There are some Five large military bases around here and several smaller bases too.

What I have noticed is that the ammunition and various ammunition components for reloading have significantly increased in price.

What has also happened around here is that the ammunition budget for the local constabulary has doubled in price. They are finding themselves under difficulty meeting their training requirements on the shooting range due to price increases.

All the valuable metals have gone up in price. Steel, aluminium, copper, lead, etc etc..all of these have increased in demand ..and is reflected in price increases.
What I also see is a continuation and increase of people selling scrap metals...all across the board....even to more people saving once again...aluminium cans.
You are seeing more stories in the news of people getting caught steeling copper, steel, and all the metals..for scrap. Most alarming to me was the story of someone up north getting caught steeling the tracks right of the rails to sell for scrap metal.

What was also disturbing to me was something told to me by a fellow worker who also invests extensively in the stock market commodities. He told me that numerous new companies have sprung up in the nitrate market.
Nitrate as a commodity is on the increase in demand.
Nitrate is used extensively as a fertilizer. Nitrate is also used extensively in the making of smokeless gunpowder.
I don't believe the demand for fertilizer is going up as fast as is the demand for gunpowder across the board.

Nonetheless ...tie in the extensive military maneuvering/flight patterns and the demand for other of the commodities of which I spoke...what kind of picture does that paint for you folks??
I am not just talking about our military here in the United States..but all the militaries ..world wide...exerting a demand for these commodities in the marketplace.

Think about it instead of being amused by the nonsense on the boob tube.

Any of you Aussies near Alice Springs or know anyone in that area?? I notice from the Google Earth Satellite..that there is an extensive shooting range south of the city. Looks like they even have a 1000 meter range. Not many places even have 1000 meters available for a shooting range. That's a long shooting distance. 1000 meters.
Some of you might want to find out if extensive shooting is going on there.

The local police range is not far from me here in this city. Many of the surrounding police departments from other cities use this same range.
Even here the shooting seems to have slacked off some due to the price increases. A year ago ..it seemed like shooting was going on till late at night. Now it has slacked off somewhat. I think the ammunition price has caught up with them.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Good posts, both OP and Orangetom.

I've got a fair stock of 7.62 x 39, but haven't bought any for a while.
Nor reloaded - except for a pound of powder I bought last year.

Got quite a few 22 long rifle bulk boxes though.
Nice to have an assortment to find out what the new 22 likes.

Thought I'd comment on the aircraft & train bit.

We're not too far from the hospital and see quite a bit of heli traffic.
They are a godsend for some folks.
When accidents happen 40 miles out of town on some of our lonesome desert highways, it's just too far for the ambulances to get there in time to make a difference for some victims.

Here in Kingman, Arizona we don't get much military aircraft traffic so no comment there.

Since we're a bit of a crossroads of America town there is a lot of rail traffic.
A couple years back rail traffic slowed down and I attribute that to the economy backing off.
Truck traffic seems to have increased as well.

It does seem that rail traffic is on the upswing nowadays and I hear a lot more trains running at night as well as see more of them during the day.
Mostly container trains.

We're not back to the rate of one train per 20 minutes (two main tracks transit our area), but we may not be too far off.
Reading between the lines it looks like the economy may be on the upswing.
Hope so anyway....

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Hello Dawg,

Good to see your post again. Been busy here with the latest hurricane. Not much happened other than a medium wind and lots of falling debris from the trees. A bit of rain too but not unduly much. We got lucky again here with Hannah.
Ran out to buy me a good chain saw this time to replace my olde Homelite. I bought a Sthil this time..the saw I always wanted but never could afford years ago.

I too am buying bulk .22s and putting them away.

Just reloaded about 200 rnds of 5.56x 45mm with heavy match Serrias in 77 grains. I want so see what they will do in my 1 in 7 twist AR 15. Ive mostly been shooting 55 grain fodder in this rifle before I figured out what the twist is on the barrel. Gotta squeeze in some time for shooting too. Range time is at a premium with my overtime schedule of late. Lots of overtime available now..so I am taking advantage of it while it is here in preparation for more lean times.

Never knew you were out there around Kingman. Thanks for that. I am across the bay from Norfolk, Virginia right outside the gate at Langley AFB. The F-22 Fighters are here in mass now. Very noticeable the louder engines they have on them.
In addition to that base...Fort Eustis..as major transportation facility for the US Army is just across town. Several Coast Guard Stations are around here of course as are some smaller Navy bases and of course shipyards and cargo ports. Lots of military activity around here.

I remember visiting some people out in Yuma some years ago. A major rail line went across town a mile or so from their home. I was astonished at the volume of traffic that came through that rail line...daily. It seemed like every 15 or so minutes long trains were coming along that line and going East. From LA or San Diego I believe. Lots of cargo...looked like anything from A to Z was on those trains. And I mean all day and all night. You cannot mistake the sound of that many of those diesel engines in tandem. It is the sound of raw power...steady gettin it!!! Steady gettin on down the line!!

Gotta get ready for work now...

Good to see your post again
Keep them in the X ring!!

Orangetom

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Hear you on the noise factor from the F-22s.
They fly out of Nellis in Las Vegas and we've seen more than a few when at the L.V. Speedway dragstrip.

I'll have to shoot some train pics for you.
3-5 engines are common.

Record so far is eleven engines, figured the train would be a long one.
Turned out to be short then we realized all the engines weren't running and were from different lines.
Probably headed to the San Bernardino or L.A. rebuild center.

Some of the east bound trains with three engines many times will have two more in the back and all engines pulling.
And other times they'll pick up 2-3 more engines at the Kingman airport so as to pull the eastbound grades with some speed on.

A couple pics shot from Hwy 66....

Headed north, then east later on.

Headed west then south.

Top eliminator at the Airport drags last year.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Hey Dawg,

Thanks for the photos. Yes ..very nice skys and the train. But the B25 Mitchell....now that is great!! Ive seen one here at the Langley Air show named Pancho.. along with other olde warbirds. It is great to see the old birds still flying. Saw my first operational B17 bomber at the air show there too. Up to that time all the B17s I had ever seen were in photos and calendars. Got my first close up look at the ball turrent position under the belly. No thanks ..what a death trap waiting to happen!!
One of the most unsual sights I have ever seen is one of the P51 Mustang at this show flying formation with an F15 and an F22. Very unusual and nostalgic both. Gotta get me a photo of that flight. The olde and the new.

Just got off Dawg...time to raid the fridge.
Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
wow i am shocked,
i live in florida and i too have notice what you are calling increased air activity...

sometimes they are military, i can recognize as my naval officer (ret) father has taught me well haha, but mostly they are civilian cesnas

i have no clue what it means, but there has def been a sharp rise in the number, usually i can look up every 5 minutes and spot a new plane somewhere in the sky!

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
To the OP;

Are you sure no-one has gone missing in your area recently?

I know here in Canada, when someone goes missing, the military aircraft and helicopters come out in droves.

When hiking through the local forest as a kid, I had a helicopter hover near me for a few seconds, the crew at the door checked me out for a sec, then they headed off over the treeline. Later when I got to a large flat clearing, there was the same chopper on the ground, some of the crew were obviously preparing to move out on foot. One of the crew, came over, showed me a photo of a girl and asked if I've seen her.

Basically, you might have been spotlighted simply because they're looking for a missing person. They didn't ID you as the missing person, so off they went to continue looking.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Around me, I can usually look up and see about 3 aircraft at any given time. They are mostly commercial jets.

I notice an increase of very low-flying aircraft whenever the weather is bad; the planes are re-routed then and just happen to fly over me.

This weekend I saw a few military helicopters, which is unsual, but I beleive they were headed to Houston, nothing spooky there.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Just thought I'd bump the thread and give the reason why there's increased military traffic in the US. It's called "use it or lose it money". They have to use all the money allocated for flight training by the end of the fiscal year. So they keep some held back then use it up at the end of the year, and go right into the next fiscal year. So they fly a lot at the start of the fiscal year, and a lot at the end of the fiscal year, and keep the flights down in the middle.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I have lived by the base here for a long time. I moved the the northern tip of my area and for the first time since ive lived here we had blackhawks patrol several times over the past week.

I was going to post here almost a two weeks ago but decided not to. Seeing its apparently typical I thought I should just say it.

Definitely odd for my area and everyone is saying it here.

Something is cooking, whether or not it's going to be served is a different story.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
wow i am shocked,
i live in florida and i too have notice what you are calling increased air activity...

sometimes they are military, i can recognize as my naval officer (ret) father has taught me well haha, but mostly they are civilian cesnas

i have no clue what it means, but there has def been a sharp rise in the number, usually i can look up every 5 minutes and spot a new plane somewhere in the sky!

i posted this a month or so ago... and now the air activity has decreased to normal again, except the commercial airliners have a new route that they follow

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

We live in Branson Mo, and there are virtualy no military bases around us. And in the last couple of months we have seen lots of military aircraft jets, choppers, and large military transport air craft. They are deffinetly preping for something

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join