It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is school intended to kill creativity?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Be creative.

But more importantly, be careful with your creativity.

Because a person is smart. But people (as in, group of many individuals) are stupid, and whatever they know now, is COMPLETE knowledge, and therefore dismiss any "possibility" outside of what they perceive to be the total truth.

So, when I say be careful with your creativity, I do really mean that. The more rock-standing ideas you shake, and how you express that "shakiness" (is that a word), the more you'll be dismissed. Sometimes you'll be dismissed, just because. When people are out of ideas and means to dismiss you.

From my 22 years on this planet, and from the age of 5 spent in public schools, and going through my second run on college (Enterprise Management, first one was Computer Engineering from age 19 to 20), this is what I've learned.

Make the difference. One mind at a time.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
'' be creative but be careful with your creativity''

couldnt have put it better myself...

the further we progress through the education system we are told that we are thinking for ourselves and becoming independant thinkers or workers but is it not blindingly obvious that ( from my experience at least) that the emphasis from teachers is to 'stick to what they know' ??

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I read a article in the Boston Globe about how school DOES kill creativity. I am a bass player (have been for 7 years now). All my friends are musicians. Music is what saved us. It's #ED how "zombish" people are that go to school.

They all wear the same clothes, listen to the same #ing music. And most of all, the music is so "NWOeyyy".

School - Prison.

That's why I dropped out. My school dumped every good "elective" in place of more blow you head off than be in school "cirriculum".

After six years of earth science, that was enough. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If they had something INTERESTING like Neurology, Programming, Psychology etc I would've stayed in.

And now my school has full time cops on patrol and they are installing cameras. I live in a small town, there has never been any history of violence besides a few fistfights here and there but EVERY school has those and EVERYTIME they happen, a teacher has no trouble breaking them up. There is NO need for pigs in schools.

I rest my case.

<< 1   >>

join