It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is school intended to kill creativity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm just curious if school is intended to kill creativity for people who think outside the box so they won't rebel against the NWO. There are people at school that get made fun of. They have ideas people think are crazy. These are the people that need to be successful. But school laughs at these people. Was the institution of school created intentionally so that people that are creative don't get the jobs they should?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I had horrible experiences in school, and I'm a musician. I would say you're pretty on the spot. Whenever I got creative, I got an F and sometimes got suspended.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I kind of made this thread because I realized that when I started college I was really excited because I was going to be learning a lot. But I realized that college offers limited times when you can be creative. So you know... like I just have to follow the established rules in school or I won't get an education there. I don't feel that college allows you to be as creative as you should be neither does a regular public education for that matter (thank god I went to a private school).

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Its true that schools stifle creativity and that teachers are usually a bunch of ego tripping blowhards who like to hear themselves talk.

I wouldnt bother trying to fight the powers that be on this one, at least not yet. They employ tons of workers to back them up and they brainwash students to fight for them against anyone who questions them.

Its like fighting racism in the old south. Change may come but not for years and years. Schools are evil but are way, way to big to take down.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I think you may be on to something, but I think more and more there are teachers who promote creativity, as opposed to having the conservative knowledge stance. For instance, I am terrible with math and science. I shine in English/Literature/Arts and especially History. I have a great memory, though not photographic, and communication skills that can blow the doors off the best salesman. In my last year at college, my roommates were both Finance majors. To me, they were two of the biggest losers (for lack of a better term) I have ever encountered. They were always quiet, never talked, and never would do anything. It was shameful to call them my friends. To this day I truly believe they are a part of the upbringing of an NWO system in the schools.

This was especially prevalent during the cold war with the emphasis on math/science. I am not saying that these fields are irrelevant, by all means they are FASCINATING, especially to me. Quantum physics, chemistry and biology have always been "hobbies" of mine, but it just takes me longer to understand them because I'm always questioning "Why?" Although, I think that scientists are extremely arrogant, with their "know-it-all" attitude, and sometimes you just have to laugh at them and shrug it off. A lot of them live in a deluded world in which they think they can provide all the answers. There are some things man will never understand, and most likely we were never meant to understand them.

In any case, it does seem to me that the more creative students are always shunned in schools, and it's really sad. Some of the most genius minds in history have been "creative" in nature.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Hey, with all of the Standards of Learning (no child left behind), who has time for creativity? As someone who teaches college classes, I see students who don't know what to do without "rules." Gray area is scary! But, once they get over the fear of stepping out of the box, they do very well. I also see a laziness that I can't figure out. Could it be that they do what they are told to do and never learn to think on their own? It's as if it never occurred to them that they can take charge of their own education. They’re still sitting around waiting to be told what to do…what hoops to jump through.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by Pamie]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It is my honest opinion gleaned from years of experience and observation that schools have become a training ground for thugs and teachers are trained to usurp the authority of the parents. Most parents are happy to relinquish responsibility for their offspring because they have far more important agendas in life like owning a McMansion, luxury cars and other toys. They are motivated by money and material gain at the expense of spending some time with their children and teaching them manners and morals. Manners and morals are not taught in school...that is the responsibility that comes with being a parent.

They send their little darlings off to these government institutions (under threat off breaking the law) everyday to be brainwashed and turned into sheeple, non thinking entities devoid of any compassion who see any sort of deviation from the norm as an opportunity to ridicule, shun, mock and physically hurt.

Two of my sons went to a government school until I refused to send them back and tutored them at home myself. Our whole family has horrible memories of the constant physical and psychological abuse that my two youngest endured on a daily basis by students AND teachers. I happen to have three highly intelligent sons and school was like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

The truly gifted and most unusual of our children suffer in the stifled environment of a school. Schools do nothing to celebrate the uniqueness of each child.

There is no solution...as a parent you just have to try and help your children understand that different is normal, unique is not weird and to be proud of the person they are.

There needs to be more discipline in schools but creative genius needs to nurtured.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Are you kidding? I did some of my best artwork at school!
Heh, of course i should have been paying more attention is class...
A lot of what goes on in school depends on the teachers you have, and what they are allowed to do. Good teachers promote both creativity, and tradition.
A good phrase I've heard is, don't think outside of the box, but make the box bigger. Basically, use what other folks have one, and rework them to build something better.
Unfortunately, the system we have in place makes it easier for bad teachers to be prevalent than good ones. Plus, most of our learning is repetition. You end up with a lot of general knowledge, not neccassarily practical stuff.
In the end really, school is what you make of it. You can either let it kill your creativity, or use it to sharpen your creativity.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
You guys have something here.
Three things:
~Curiosity and creativity aren't really valued by many as anything more than frivolity, or perhaps, distraction?
~People in school do treat eachother very badly over individual beliefs, but it's not only a school thing. It's a history-of-mankind thing.
~Any decent sociology teacher will state straight-out that a school is one of thee most influential institutions to do more than educate: to drill the conformity to society's values into each little skull. ("Elementary, my dear Watson"~)
Poor little kids.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
we have to remember that this si called INDOCTRINATION. you dont go to school to become independent off the system/matrix or whatever ist is called now. you go to school so you can serve a function on an already stablished society to keep the elite where they are.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Levita
...It's a history-of-mankind thing

Yes Levita...I agree with you on that point too

Schools try to make all beleive they are the same but cultural differences
dictate otherwise

res

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Interesting!

And I agree.

Did you know that in a TED conference, a speaker gave a lecture exactly on this very topic, "Do schools kill creativity."

I think you'll enjoy this video. It's funny, enlightening and informative.

Creativity expert Sir Ken Robinson challenges the way we're educating our children. He champions a radical rethink of our school systems, to cultivate creativity

www.ted.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Einstein was most vocal on the matter of school killing childrens creativity, and stunting their education.

I was assumed it was largely a natural phenomena. But it is interesting to note that in america the general public did not want compulsory school, and were in fact very litterate before public schooling was introduced. The facts seem to point more towards a means of social control on the part of the rich elite.

End of the day the government pays for education and they are going to get what they paid for. My mother always complains that the government doesn't help out university students who have such huge debts. But at the end of the day it does the government good to have students in debt because it will ensure they keep working in the field they have choosen, in the manner that the government has decided they should work. The governments incentive is to control the economy, not create a happy life for you, that is your job, you can't expect them to do that for you.

If the government pays for the education they are going to teach you their point of veiw and teach you to behave the way they want you to behave.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I agree with your post, I have had some wonderful teachers in school who have promoted creativty, passion and learning. My experience though is that these teachers are often given to the "enrichment" class. I was picked up as being an intelligent kid through SAT tests and put in the semi-secret enrichment class in my second year of intermidiate and in high school.

Being in the enrichment classes seemed a much livelier more creative and richer learning environment.

You can't of coarse down play the social aspect of school, just having other kids to play with will teach you other skills.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
In the words of George Carlin, its purpose is to produce obedient workers...the secondary outcome is diminished creativity but it isn't the goal imo.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I spent 20 years locked up in those cages. Even 6 years in college changing my major 3 times due to disillusionment. I think you can safely say that I think it just appears so much a fraud. I mean I studied psychology and after 2 years of classes none of the teachers could answer any of questions or none could present satisfactory evidence to dispute my problems with the "field", hence I was laughed at, called a creationist and generally thought of as "not getting it" despite the fact that I went back and read and reread all the major works(not the textbooks) as well as studied the latest findings and decided still that it was a rip off.

Why spend money to study something that doesn't make any real progress that couldn't be found on one's own? Seems to me a waste of valuable time. We live something like 27,000 days or 75 years on average. To think that I gained something by devoting 7,000 days to thinking about school means I spent 25% of my life pursuing something that was a complete letdown, what could I have done with those days in my childhood besides waste them fulfilling someone's idea of what they think I needed to know, as if they could know what I need to know or what my purpose in life would be.

Plus I don't like the way educated people assume they have some kind of special rights that the rest of humanity doesn't hold. Or that everyone has the same Ideas or thinks about the same things or that it would be desirable for everyone to be the same. I can't recall but was it Kurt Vonnegut that wrote something about how what if everyone were forced to be the same in everything, and it was a crime to be unpredictable or different. One last thing, school seems to promote age discrimination or classification, which I also think has a major factor on humans inability to get along with each other.

If you have a belief system dependent on school, authorities, experts or media and family, you basically risk nothing and therefore will likely gain nothing in return for your abdication. If everyone would just listen to their inner dynamic maybe the world would appear a little bit saner and schooling if not providing a purpose should not be a glorified day care, despite some people and the states interest, people shouldn't be taught to be hyper consumers.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
In the book "Everything you know is wrong," there is an essay over this exact subject which was written by a New York teacher of the year. I let a friend borrow my copy so I can't copy it down in here, it's definately worth a read.
In the essay she points out that not only were we litterate before standardized schooling but we were actually MORE litterate and that illitteracy rates have only increased.
I completely believe this seeing as how I know, personally, 4 girls from my high school (they're 10th graders now) who can't read; nor do they want to.

I'm really tired or I'd post more, I'm really passionate about this subject so expect more soon.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think your onto something with school killing creativity and i have experience.

During history classes i have written essays that offer a section of conspiracy possibilty (just because it interests me) together with the basic 'read it and repeat it' info from the textbooks that everyone repeats for their grades

Each time i have had comments from teachers that examiners do not include these areas on the syllabus and therefore i would be wasting my time learning and writing about them.

It may well be though, that the teachers themselves were worried about my grade, or more likely their own assessments but it does seem to point to stopping people looking beyond the obvious...

anyone had any similar?

[edit on 9-9-2008 by clw99]

[edit on 9-9-2008 by clw99]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
I had horrible experiences in school, and I'm a musician. I would say you're pretty on the spot. Whenever I got creative, I got an F and sometimes got suspended.

Me too, i was last in my class, eerily my final report cards file number was 666.
Everyone is a douchbag anyway so I dont care, the only people to me who are worthy of my intellect are musicly inclined rockheads and gothoids. I dropped out because i realised they wanted me to fail. So i said F* them. Now my IQ is 182-187, I study way cooler subjects like antigravity and physics. My goal is to use my knowledge of music, science and interest in space, to explore it freely one day without nazi satanists manipulators here on this lonely stupid rock. I know its deep.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Test and quizzes tests and quizzes. Homework Homework Homework Homework. Rules rules rules rules rules. Standards standards standards.

When we let government take over school funding we doomed all of americas children to becoming drones, slaves to the workforce with little to no creativity.

All the schools care about is science math and english standards. They focus very little on the arts, and even less on social interaction. Which is one of the things school was first meant for teaching yopung kids how to be social with others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join