It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olbermann and Matthews dismissed as election anchors

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Does Fox not bother you then? I mean they're chalk full of McCain "shills". Hell, everyone on the network repeats the mantra that if you're not a card carrying member of the GOP you hate America, want to lose the war, and should be tried for treason.

Oh, has anyone ever figured out what it actually means to "win" the war in Iraq, as they're so fond of saying on Fox?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

O'Reilley is what he is, Matthews/Olbermann are what they are....the problem IMHO, is that TRUE journalism in America is DEAD!!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is too bad. I liked some of the things Olbermann had to say and that he was addressing so many people. I never really watched Chris, but I am sure he was probably similarly opinionated.
Oh well. Not like I watch much TV nowadays anyhow. Spend too much time on ATS.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
gotta wonder if Chris Matthews 'felt a thrill go up his leg' when he got the notice that he'll be having a lot more free time in the coming months.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Not Dead but truly an endangered species. Tom Brokaw is probably the best at reporting events without giving you his own opinion of the events. He is a class act as was Tim Russert.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Someone else mentioned this in regards to O'Rielly and the Malmedy tragedy. I used to watch his show until he said that, and then tried to call Wes Clark a liar when he called him on it. After that I stopped watching. If you cannot even get your facts right you have not done the most important aspect of journalism.

Oberman is no doubt a left winger, but even his commentaries about Bush are factually correct.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I am new here. Hello. This is not overly complicated folks. I'm a 20 year old and while I am no wiz, I can see the reasoning for the change. McCain is winning in today's Gallop. Everyone knows that the Media is hurting Obama more than they are helping. And the libs are frantically trying to fix the problem, which they will fail to do. McCain won this election because of MSNBC, CNN, the treatment of Hillary, I could go on. The Libs couldn't help themselves. Now people like Matthews and Keith get the # you treatment. What have you done for us lately? NADA! I am shocked that the *snip* is getting her own time slot at 9, Maddow. That's really going to help The Messiah, *sarcasm*

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

[edit on 8-9-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Everybody has a bias. There's no such thing as completely objective reporting or a completely objective viewer. What each of us perceives as unbiased is that which we most agree with.

So let there be Fox and let there be NBC. To each his own.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Follow the money. Their ratings were in the tank. They have entire twenty four hour periods where they have less viewers than Fox has in one program. Like I said, follow the money.

They don't give a crap if their shows are left or right. They do care if it makes money. Far Left is a money looser. Even most Democrats are not Far Left.

For me, I watch CNN and Fox equally to get the story from both sides, but I never watch MSNBC because of the low quality of reporting and commentary.

The Left wants nothing but Left Wing reporting and the Right wants nothing but Right Wing reporting. The intelligent want to hear both sides and the middle. Those who only listen to one side are handicapped and information challenged.

By immersing yourself in information from one side and only one side, you become the sheep you are so fond of accusing others of being.

The Producers at MSNBC care about one thing, so their job is easy. The ratings are bad, so they clean house.

I just polled my office for kicks and giggles. 7 people here today. 4 watch CNN mostly. 2 watch Fox mostly. I watch them both about equal. Nobody watches MSNBC.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
So let there be Fox and let there be NBC. To each his own.

Yes indeed my friend...

And let there be ATS, so we can hash out any reporting from any of these networks for 5 days and 20 pages, until finally, we the public, arrive at the facts our journalists should have been kind enough to provide in the first place.

While there's plenty of left and right, liberal and conservative, red and blue on this board, I think the entire community deserves a pat on the back, because regardless of our own biases, I think we do a great job here of separating that which is, from that which is not.

We've got posts both for and against Olberman and Mathews, but I think we all agree that we can't really trust any of them.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by centurion1211

By immersing yourself in information from one side and only one side, you become the sheep you are so fond of accusing others of being.

No... by continuing to reinforce the idea that there are only two sides, you become the sheep you are so fond of accusing others of being.

By "picking a side" it gives people the illusion that they made a choice and are participating. It works the same way in sports. People have their favorite teams, root against each other, get excited and feel like they're a part of it. They get so into it you would think they are out there on the field playing on one of the teams! Obviously they aren't, and it is the same way with politics. You pick Democrat or Republican, you watch them on TV, you pick up some buzz words from the talking heads on TV and you feel like you actually know what is going on. Sadly you are never really a part of it, merely a spectator rooting for either side.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Personal political views aside - their commentary was broaching on the absurd/ Matthews called Obama a 'gift from the world' (or something close to that).

Oberman's continuous pontification isn't a problem for me, as long as he isn't pretending to be unbiased. That's not to say I agree with him; I don't. However, if he's commentating, as a commentator - that's fine. It's when commentators attempt to pass themselves off as unbiased news anchors that I (and others like me) get fidgety.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Let me get this straight... MSNBC thinks these two are way too far left to anchor... In other words their thinking is not mainstream or indicative of what most of America thinks of Obama. This does not look good at all for Obama and his left wing agenda to turn this country into a Venezuela...

I would bet that the actual numbers that support Obama for President are actually equal to MSNBC ratings.

The left in this country better get ready to make up another excuse why they lost again... "They stole the election" is getting old. Better find another one...

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by northof8

More like "We screwed ourselves because we couldn't keep our mouths shut and let the right hang itself"!!

Bias is part of the main stream media and both sides have their outlets that appeal to our ideals, be they what they are. When I step back and look at what's happening, it's clear the divide and conquer concept is in play.

An old concept but used through out history. Most religion is based in the "us and them" ideology. Think like us and your "saved", think like them and your "damned".

So will this election come down to less than 1% of the vote again? When will we get to vote for someone 70% of the people want as POTUS?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlightlyAbovePar
However, if he's commentating, as a commentator - that's fine. It's when commentators attempt to pass themselves off as unbiased news anchors that I (and others like me) get fidgety.

Truer words haven't been spoke more often here. I don't mind their bias when in commentator role, but when they are supposed to play anchorman and show that bias then all you are doing is slanting the news.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I consider myself neither a Rebublican nor a Democrats because it is all a big farce. Given time, Democracies morph into Oligarchies.
I mean Bush and Kerry are both Skull and bones and claim different sides of the aisle! ... HA!

Anyhow,
O'reilly does not have to tell me he is an entertainer. I can use my common sense to figure that one out. See, I never turn him on to get my news. I only turn him on to be entertained. Olberman is just plain sickening to try and stomach. He and other Obama sympathizers did their 'party' a dis-service during their nomination process.

Hilary would have whipped the old man hands down and Palin wouldn't be stealing the spotlight from their boy.

In this day in time you cannot rely on any one source for news. You must take it in from all sides and then decipher with your own mind what is right and wrong.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Basically I gotta give this a thumbs up. I like Olbermann, but if you can't sing the same tune for two different people then you gotta pass the mic.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
yea great idea, lets get rid of Keith Olberman.., the very last little shred of credibility the MSM had.

Only in America.

I wonder if security is gonna taze him on his way out and say, he made a "suspicious move".

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
TRUE journalism in America is DEAD!!

EXACTLY!

Get used to Left/Right - Democrat/Republican - Liberal/Conservative networks cause that's the wave of the future.

Along with deregulation of the broadcast industry and rampant conglomerate mergers comes special interest, agenda driven programming (thanks a lot Michael Powell). If you want an unbiased media maybe you should put down the mouse, pick up a pen, write Congress and tell them you want the Telecommunications Act of 1996 repealed.

Otherwise ... get used to it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but at least someone in the industry is speaking out:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
KO, KO'ed himself when he ranted on how disgusting it was for the GOP to run "9/11" footage and apologized on behalf of mankind... Hmm, I guess it was ok for the Dems to run continuing footage of Katrina Victims exploiting them for political gain.
KO says he was disgusted by the blantant opportunistic exploitation of so many dead people...

WTF???

Ultimate Hypocrasy

It's ok to have an opinion on the matter but to pontificate nightly and then on a national stage like the GOP Convention to grandstand a position so blantantly hypocritical could not be ignored. Say what you want about Bill O, he didn't try to pull that kind of crap.

I was FLOORED by wht he said and more importantly, how he said it.
So for the partisan blind fellow who asked earlier in this thread where KO had been hypocritical..

There is your answer and finally it cost one of these windbags a job.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join