It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Looms Over Scientist's Experiment to Uncover Secrets of 'Big Bang'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Fear Looms Over Scientist's Experiment to Uncover Secrets of 'Big Bang'

www.foxnews.com

Evans' ambitions, however, have brought widespread concern among scientists who say the experiment could create a shower of unstable black holes inside the Earth, and subsequently bring destruction to the planet.

"Nothing will happen for at least four years," retired German Otto Rossler told the Mail. "Then someone will spot a light ray coming out of the Indian Ocean during the night and no one will be able to explain it."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I know we have many discussions on this site about the end of the world in 2012. I couldn't help but think about this after reading this article. Could this be 'The Beginning of The End.' Will this experiment start things in motion for what is to come in 2012? This is 2008 and in the article he is quoted as saying "at least four years" for anything to happen. Any thoughts?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Discussion is already on going: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jimboyng

God, that article is a crock of dung...

For centuries, scientists have sought unsuccessfully to unlock the secrets of the Big Bang Theory

Er, the BBT has only been around for about 60 years and wasn't even accepted as the dominant theory until very recently.

That snippet was added by FOX as it doesn't appear in the original Daily Mail article they link too. Not that the DM is a good paper anyway, I wouldn't even wipe my arse with it.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Here is this comment from the Daily Mail article too:

One of them, Professor Otto Rossler, a retired German chemist, said he feared the experiment may create a devastating quasar – a mass of energy fuelled by black holes – inside the Earth.

Now, I thought Quasars were Galaxy sized, ancient objects in the far distant Universe?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

A Quasar (contraction of QUASi-stellAR radio source) is an extremely powerful and distant active galactic nucleus. They were first identified as being high redshift sources of electromagnetic energy, including radio waves and visible light that were point-like, similar to stars, rather than extended sources similar to galaxies. While there was initially some controversy over the nature of these objects, there is now a scientific consensus that a quasar is a compact region 10-10000 Schwarzschild radii across surrounding the central supermassive black hole of a galaxy. Contents

source

You are correct stu. So basically the Daily Mail doesn't know what it's talking about lol. And really who cares what a chemist has to say about physics. He's obviously not very aware of the subject if he thinks a galactic core sized object is going to erupt from the center of the earth because of some atom smashing.

And really i don't see the big fuss about the LHC. We have to take great risks if we want to make great advances in science. And if it does happen to destroy the planet...well i guess we'll be getting the answers to a few questions anyway, so it's basically a win-win as far as i'm concerned.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by optimus primal]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I wouldn't even wipe my arse with it.

Oh, I would.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This topic is currently being discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Feel free to add comments and opinions in the existing thread.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join