It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fringe' Discussion...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Official site...

From J.J. Abrams ("Lost"), Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, the team behind "Star Trek," "Mission: Impossible III" and "Alias," comes a new series that will thrill, terrify and explore the blurring line between the possible and the impossible.

When an international flight lands at Boston's Logan Airport with no signs of life, FBI Special Agent OLIVIA DUNHAM (Anna Torv) is called in to investigate as part of an inter-agency task force. After her partner, Special Agent JOHN SCOTT (Mark Valley), is nearly killed during the investigation, a desperate Olivia searches frantically for someone to help, leading her to DR. WALTER BISHOP (John Noble), our generation's Einstein. There's only one catch: he's been institutionalized for the last 17 years, and the only way to question him requires pulling his estranged son PETER (Joshua Jackson) in to help.

When Olivia's investigation leads to multi-billion dollar corporation Massive Dynamic and its manipulative corporate executive, NINA SHARP (Blair Brown), our unlikely trio, along with Department of Homeland Security Agent PHILLIP BROYLES (Lance Reddick) and FBI Agents CHARLIE FRANCIS (Kirk Acevedo) and ASTRID FARNSWORTH (Jasika Nicole), will discover that what happened on Flight 627 is only a small piece of a larger, more shocking truth.

Sounds fun! The first episode will air this Tuesday. Let's watch and then discuss!

[edit on 7-9-2008 by they see ALL]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is one of the first new series that I've actually look forward to seeing. Mostly because it is something both myself and my husband would probably enjoy.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Big fan of Lost, big fan of this kind of story too. Can't wait to check it out, hope it's good.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Tomorrow's the big night! I hope it's enjoyable!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
Tomorrow's the big night! I hope it's enjoyable!

I'm quite happy so many shows are coming right now, theres this, prison break, dexter, a new show called True Blood, Terminator, smallville etc

I'm actually glad that they put Lost in January because I love lost, and it's easier to focus when you don't have all these shows out of the way lol.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Chris Carter should sue J.J. Abrams for opening credits infringement.

The piano music (minus Mark Snow whistling) and the flowing montage of paranormal events gave me an "X-Files" flashback.

Then I saw the white Kirlian handprint. Minus the spot of red, it was the EXACT one from the X-Files opening.

Hopefully it's intended as an homage, not a rip-off.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
warner brothers producing...

I suspect more mind control in relation to subjects on ATS. From the commercials on the radio it sounds very suspicious.

Im gonna watch it and check it out and then Ill post more, but as it stands warner brothers is no stranger to placing strategic propaganda in its films.

"The Motion Picture Industry could be the most powerful instrument of propaganda in the world, whether it tries to be or not" --Franklin D. Roosevelt

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

the show was entertaining. the dawson's creek dude needs to talk to jj about writing some lines for him that aren't one liner zingers (and lame ones at that).

good stuff jj, we'll be watching but, since you're scouring our site for ideas, how about a shout out?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
the show was very entertaining.

Full of fringe topics found here on ats, and you can surmise that future episodes will be as, if not more, entertaining.

I noticed a lot of propaganda and other elements sympathetic towards a NWO-esque future. Almost allowing the viewer to accept the future of warrantless searches and centralized gov't / information.

Also the bit about multinational corporations with their own c.i.a. agents was a bit revealing.

The one thing I enjoy about watching mainstream propaganda is the entertainment value and the educational value.

When one is able to see tactics being used, one becomes amused by them.

This show is a must watch for all who frequent ATS, IMO

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
OK, I watched the pilot last night, and I have to comment on this. The X-Files was a MUCH better show. By far!

The dialogue last night was very poorly written, cheesy, and at times made me want to gag.

Come on, the female agent goes around barking orders to everyone, and they all do what she wants, even her supervisor?

The dusty Harvard basement was renovated into a sophisticated lab in about 5 minutes, and the mad scientist's son who supposedly had not been in contact with his dad somehow knew exactly what to do to help. Oh, and they synthesized '___' in a couple of hours.

I can suspend my disbelief when the show is good, but last night's episode did NOT leave me wanting more. The best part of the show were the special effects, which did not make up for the bad writing or lame plot.

If they were going to spend all this time, effort, and money to make a new show, couldn't they have at least hired some decent screenwriters?

Anyway, my .02. YMMV.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Pretty good.

Pilots are usually slow and the characters are trying to develop.

Time will tell, but this has a lot of potential.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I actually liked the plot, even though it may be way too science fiction for my taste (or is it?). Actually, I loved the science fiction aspect of it so I don't think this will be a problem for me. I liked how the pilot had twists, like John Scott being an antagonist and how Nina Sharp stated to question the dead (?) John Scott. I was surprised that this episode was so long and I was happy on how few commercials it had during its run. That's a positive. The episode started off 'Lost'-like (people being on a plane, at least) and that was cool (and did I hear a 'Lost' reference, something about 108 something?). As a side note, here is a link to Fringepedia (I was hoping there would be a site like this, as Wikipedia didn't suffice for information). Also, what's up with The Pattern? This sounds very interesting!

EDIT:

On Sunday (I think it was), I wondered if there was a leaked episode of this show (so I could see it before the official air date). It turns out, there was a leaked episode!

[edit on 10-9-2008 by they see ALL]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

I agree, the show's first ep definitely was well below my expectations.

First, the casting was Horrendous! C'mon, 'Pacey' from Dawson's Creek as some kind of edgy 'Agent'? Yuck!

Of all the hot chicks they could pick for the female role or even edgy chicks who were good actors, they pick that one with the thin greasy looking hair?

And the old scientist guy? Too damn goofy with the 'I just squirted pee in my pants' line when he was in the back seat.

Fire the writers, the director, the cast and re-do the whole thing.

/rant.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
reply to post by keeb333

I agree, the show's first ep definitely was well below my expectations.

First, the casting was Horrendous! C'mon, 'Pacey' from Dawson's Creek as some kind of edgy 'Agent'? Yuck!

Of all the hot chicks they could pick for the female role or even edgy chicks who were good actors, they pick that one with the thin greasy looking hair?

And the old scientist guy? Too damn goofy with the 'I just squirted pee in my pants' line when he was in the back seat.

Fire the writers, the director, the cast and re-do the whole thing.

/rant.

I don't see why your so negative.

I thought it was pretty interesting. I think it needs a little more time to be sure if it will be good or bad.

"Of all the hot chicks they could pick"
? What makes you think it has to be a hot chick thou?

Anyway she IS attractive, and there is NOTHING wrong with her hair, it's not greasy or thin, and it's actually quite nice. I'm not really sure why you were looking for a superhot supermodel. I really don't understand this comment lol. I'm guessing your a woman.

And he is not Pacey from dawsons creek, he is Joshua Jackson and "actor" who plays "different" roles.

LOL I'm not picking on you, I just don't see what you see.

Keeb, I don't know why your comparing this to the X-files, this show has nothing to do with the x-files. If people are expecting x-files, then surely your setting yourself up to be disappointed, watching this show from a fresh point of view would be wise.

But I agree it wasn't THAT great. But pilots are hard to judge because of the way it has to introduce us, the second episode will give us a better idea I think.

So I'm hoping the next episode will be good and that it will give us a better understanding of where this show is heading.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
I don't see why your so negative.

Let the haters hate .

I thought it was pretty interesting. I think it needs a little more time to be sure if it will be good or bad.

Exactly.

I'm guessing your a woman.

Or a horny male teen

[edit on 11-9-2008 by they see ALL]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I specifically logged on to say something about this show. I actually enjoyed it even though they got through things they had never experience such as translucent skin in a hurry. But I understood the point.

I also watched upcoming episode and my initial thought was that JJ Abrams and crew got some ideas from the Montauk projects i.e time teleportation, mind control experiments, genetic sequencing, Philadelphia experiment and such. All tried at Montauk back in the 70's and then shut down. These experiments have already been tried and with some sucess although we will never know "for certain" so I think incredible television isn't just Sci-Fi but you would be hard pressed to convince the masses that anything like THAT could take place HERE>

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The only reason i watched the pilot is because JJ Abrams co-wrote it. And i am so freaking happy i did. That man is a freaking genius!!!!

As i was watching it i saw some connections to lost, one was the seat the guy was sitting in the plane that injected himself was 108.

OH YEA I FORGOT... the show is like lost, lol.... theirs a company just like Dharma that is split into different sections and each section has its own symbol.... silly jj

And its like lost because the whole Ben and widmore past connection is like the crazy scientist and Massive dynamics creator( they said they shared a lab aong time ago)

Ben=crazy scientist guy....Both misunderstood
Widmore=Massive dynamics creator....both big shot rich people

[edit on 12-9-2008 by ucanneverdie]

[edit on 12-9-2008 by ucanneverdie]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
I specifically logged on to say something about this show. I actually enjoyed it even though they got through things they had never experience such as translucent skin in a hurry. But I understood the point.

I also watched upcoming episode and my initial thought was that JJ Abrams and crew got some ideas from the Montauk projects i.e time teleportation, mind control experiments, genetic sequencing, Philadelphia experiment and such. All tried at Montauk back in the 70's and then shut down. These experiments have already been tried and with some sucess although we will never know "for certain" so I think incredible television isn't just Sci-Fi but you would be hard pressed to convince the masses that anything like THAT could take place HERE>

Yes for example that shared dream bit, it's has been reported to happen by some people, especially with the idea of lsd added to it too, also check out the experiments they did in the monroe insitude with OBE. So it's all very possible I think.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ucanneverdie

I'm not sure but I would say the camera style is similar to lost too, similar way of movement, closeups etc. ? It definetly gave me the feel of lost.

Don't think it can beat lost thou, but you never know!

[edit on 12-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

did you watch the 1st episode? mention of 'above top secret'.... coincindance hhhmmmm.

i started watching and got the drift of what it will be about and it does sound very atsish.... will keep watching and see where is goes, so far so good.

top topics

join