It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liver Disease Surfaces as Latest Complication Among Obese Adolescents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Liver Disease Surfaces as Latest Complication Among Obese Adolescents

rawstory.com

TRENTON, N.J. -- In a new and disturbing twist on the obesity epidemic, some overweight teenagers have severe liver damage caused by too much body fat, and a handful have needed liver transplants.

Many more may need a new liver by their 30s or 40s, say experts warning that pediatricians need to be more vigilant. The condition, which can lead to cirrhosis and liver failure or liver cancer, is being seen in kids in the United States, Europe, Australia and even some developing countries, according to a surge of recent medical studies and doctors interviewed by The Associated Press.

The American Liver Foundation and other experts estimate 2 percent to 5 percent of American children over age 5, nearly all of them obese or overweight, have the condition, called nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
YIKES...

Add to coronary Artery Disease, LIVER FAILURE as the possible next widespread health epidemic.

Hopefully this serves as a wake up call to parents who regularly frequent the fast food joints with their kids. Sadly, I doubt it will.

I'm happy to say, my kids have all CHOSEN to be vegetarians, so hopefully I won't have to worry about these stats...But it is something that mainstream america better sit up and take notice of IMHO.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Eveybody is always picking on the Fat Kid, enough already!

JK, It's actually a very serious issue, I highly doubt that these kids are obese from how much they eat but rather what they eat.

Fast food, TV dinners, foods packaged in plastics... there are many factors here, but the liver damage isn't just from the fat, it's part of a more complex issue of eating dead foods and foods conaminated with chemicals, particularly imho, microwaved products in cheep containers

Soory for jk, just can't help myself sometimes

Stared and flaged

[edit on 7-9-2008 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I'm happy to say, my kids have all CHOSEN to be vegetarians, so hopefully I won't have to worry about these stats...But it is something that mainstream america better sit up and take notice of IMHO.

Being vegetarian won't save them, though it might slow down the process of extermination. Even veggies are being genetically modified now. Then there is the irradiation that they undergo before hitting the market which wipes out most of their nutritional value. And then there is the farming practices themselves. Take for example the humble potato, the salvation of the Irish. In the past few decades it has lost 70% of its nutritional value.

The truth is that we are being starved to death, even the fat people. Especially the fat people. More on that over here...

"Let them eat cake!"

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I had seen a newscast last year that some doctors now actually think that a fast food meal is WORSE for your liver than drinking alcohol!!!
As to the vegetarianism though.... My lady is going to school for naturopathic medicine. As many hippy types are attracted to these kinds of schools, many of the people she was in class with began their school career as strict vegans and vegetarians. However, once they actually took the nutrition class in second semester, all of them incorporated some form of animal protein into their diet, as they saw the deficiencies that are inherent in the vegetarian diet. Many dont realize that animal fat, that most reviled of substances, is the only real source of ESSENTIAL fatty acids, such as vitamin A, D, E, and b-12. Now some of these you can get in small amounts from one veggie or another, but not in necessary levels for optimum health, and b-12 is STRICTLY from animal fat.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

I think that perhaps some people are too reliant on meat as a food source when they should indeed be fortifying their diet with more fruits veggies and grains, but nothing is good for you if you have too much of it. Stay away from the Baconator diet, but go ahead and have a nice greasy baked chicken thigh, some mashed taters, and a big pile of peas with butter on them. (Not margarine either!) Snack on fruits too.

There's nothing that says you have to have meat at every meal either, but you shouldn't cut it out entirely. Humans are meant to eat the widest possible variety of foods, and that is what will make us most healthy.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Being vegetarian won't save them, though it might slow down the process of extermination. Even veggies are being genetically modified now. Then there is the irradiation that they undergo before hitting the market which wipes out most of their nutritional value. And then there is the farming practices themselves. Take for example the humble potato, the salvation of the Irish. In the past few decades it has lost 70% of its nutritional value

The assumption here is that people are buying produce from large grocery retailers. Personally I buy my produce from local farming markets. Most adhere to an organic only formula but there are certainly exceptions. Plus I like to think I'm helping the local economy somewhat. Sure nothings perfect but there are steps one can take to help themselves a bit. I'm not advocating a vegan lifestyle thats a personal decision, but the meat industry is questionable at best.

Back to the topic......this is hardly a shock. Most kids are borderline fat asses these days thanks to the fast food industry & local corner stores selling 3 liters of pop for a buck. A lot of kids though have dual working parents who can't take the time to prepare common sense and nutritional meals hence the quick packaged garbage.

brill

[edit on 7-9-2008 by brill]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

What you say makes sense, but even growing your own is going to become more difficult, and less safe. Thinks about Monsanto and Codex Alimentarius.

Mandate That Will Starve 3 Billion People to be In Place by 12/31/09

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I wouldnt say MOST adhere to organic, rather id say a few do. Most dont even know how to get true organic food. As to the buttered potatoes and peas, yes, its sad how everything they have manufactured to be "better" for us then the original natural version, ie eggbeaters, margarine, artificial sweeteners, HFCS, etc are all far worse for us than the originals.

new topics

top topics

join