It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN says eat less meat to curb global warming

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

UN says eat less meat to curb global warming

www.guardian.co.uk

People should have one meat-free day a week if they want to make a personal and effective sacrifice that would help tackle climate change, the world's leading authority on global warming has told The Observer

Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which last year earned a joint share of the Nobel Peace Prize, said that people should then go on to reduce their meat consumption even further.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
How exactly is eating less meat going to curb global warming? I doubt it would even have a slight impact.

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Are they stupid? Or is this like Dick Cheney's suggestion?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I guarantee.. If I have to switch to a brocolli and sprout diet.. Global warming will be the least of the environmental problems.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Some people don't realize how much water it takes to grow even one kilogram of beef - 50, 000 to 100, 000 litres.

And that's from the Australian CSIRO website, not some hug-the-trees hippy site -

www.clw.csiro.au...

I'm not a vegetarian, but unfortunately meat just doesn't grow on trees

[edit on 7-9-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
First of all, there are plenty of people in the world who would be lucky to eat meat once a week, much less abstain from it for a day.

I didn't bother to read the whole article, because I already know that it is propoganda. They're probably trying to argue that less cow farts will save the North Pole, but it's still bull-poo.

The real reason they want you to eat less meat is because it happens to be one of the least modified foostuffs that we still consume regulalry. They cannot profit enough from it for one thing, but there is an even more sinister plan afoot...

"Let them eat cake!"

[edit on 9/7/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
LOL who is this aimed at, the USA

Why doesn't the UN reccomend we stop shipping free food to nations that refuse or have no ability to use birth control pills so there are less people, drinking water and eating meat?

The UN seems to think America should solve all the problems of the world, tax our water, eat less meat, send our food to the 3rd world, buy foreign oil, rescue nations from invasion but let out soldiers die like sitting ducks "peace keeping" rather than fighting a war when do, Control our resources by demanding even owning our countryside

I really hate the UN, I'm having Burgers tonight

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

. 'Give up meat for one day [a week] initially, and decrease it from there,' said the Indian economist, who is a vegetarian.

And there you have it

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
And

Brilliant thread btw Jack

You can actually correlate the rise of fast food with droping education and test scores in the states from the 60's to today

People think they can think when they can't actually think and not being able to think is why they think they can think

But really, Has anyone ever asked if Trans Fat can clog the Big thumb sized Arteries in your Heart, what does it do to the capillaries in my brian?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

How exactly is eating less meat going to curb global warming? I doubt it would even have a slight impact.

www.guardian.co.uk

I can't believe there exists people so dense that would have no idea why ANY FORM OF PRODUCTION would lower pollution levels were it to stop producing as much.

There is pollution and greenhouse gases emitted throughout the entire phase of meat production, from the factories that create the feed all the way down the line to the supply truck delivering it to the supermarket and everything in between.

Supply/Demand, ever heard of it? Hint: When people stop eating and buying the beef, the whole industry will have to adapt or else lose tons of money in wasted product.

Jesus Christ....

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

But the question is then, why would anyone want people to stop eating beef? The answer is, to make them eat something else, which will turn out to be something more profitable, less healthy, and far more dangerous to the environment. Enjoy your partially-hydrogenated cabbage-flavored synthetic-soy pocket. Soylent Green here we come!

[edit on 9/7/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Hello all! My point here is to say that I currently live in Central Valley of California where dairy farms are prevalent. I will tell you for certain that cow "emissions" or "poofs"
if you will, contribute a great deal to the pollution here.

There is some proof that it does affect the ozone layer as well. Also as a previous poster stated, the water and food it takes to raise one cow is very expensive.

The more you know about how cattle/beef (pigs, lambs and chickens) are raised for the commercial market you will want to eat less of it for sure. At least buy Free Range chicken and eggs and Organic Beef if you must eat it.

It was Albert Einstein who once remarked:

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." —Albert Einstein

He was definitely a forward thinker and had tremendous knowledge in many areas.

Here is a link to a very funny and informative 5 minute video worth watching...

www.youtube.com...

AND OF COURSE THESE AWARD WINNING VIDEOS ARE A MUST SEE:

www.themeatrix.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
i'm cetain the obamadroids see this as a victory for unshaven, birkenstock wearers everywhere.

could the u.n. be any more of a worthless joke?

i dont buy into the whole 'nwo' thing, but if i did, i would say this is more evidence of it; the eletist left agenda being foisted on the world, by 'authorities' like the u.n.

political correctness will be the downfall of civilisation, for instance, the u.n. just made it illegal to criticise islam!

now its no longer legal to warn infidels of the danger they're in...

it is politically correct thought-policing!

we are forced to accept that meat is bad, global warming is real, islam is a religion of peace...

and its surprising the sheer number of pseudo-intellectuals who consider themselves 'progressives' who eat this crap up like a gospel sandwich...

bloody robots.

now, if you'll excuse me i have a steak to grill over mesquite charcoal (its okay, it was a criminal cow who deserved to die)

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well this should really scare everyone...

I Eat Cannibals

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sweet Paula

most of the methane from cows come from moo-burps...

and what of all the animals in the wild? and humans?

and organic breakdown in nature?

add all that up to the methane total...

probably still cannot compare to an average volcano eruption... which is natural, too.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sweet Paula
The more you know about how cattle/beef (pigs, lambs and chickens) are raised for the commercial market you will want to eat less of it for sure. At least buy Free Range chicken and eggs and Organic Beef if you must eat it.

all it takes for chickens to be certified 'free range' is for them to be let out in a small area in the open for maybe an hour a day....

the upside is you get to pay twice the cost per lb for this fashion statement!

organic is just groovy, man!

by groovy i mean highly profitable...

and dont forget, kids, organic cane sugar still makes you as fat as the regular stuff...

but you'll be organically tubby

so, at least there's that

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
when the rich stop flying around the world \ driving \living in a house big enough for 20 i might start listening to all this b.s... but when i see governments telling us to use our cars less while they drive big gas guzzling cars at my expense it makes me want to punch faces...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
the reverse is true! if you want to make a personel sacrifice to help global warming only eat meat, If enough people do this the population will lower helping slow global warming lol!!! sarcasam off!!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Ignorance is truly bliss!! The more you know about how and what to eat the more you will understand. Haven't you seen the latest thread on teenage obesity?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Come on...it is clear that the eating habits of most people (young and adult) contribute to the huge rise in Diabetes, Obesity and other serious health problems. We are the only generation who may have children that will not live longer than we do. What a terrible thought!

The fast food industry in America and unfortunately many other countries as well has contributed to this rise.

Processed, packaged and otherwise genetically altered foods are digging early graves for the masses.

Contrary to what you have been spouting here....the conspiracy lies in the fast food and commercial food industry NOT in the organic and health food industries!

High fructose corn syrup and commercial additives are poison to our bodies and are in almost EVERYTHING!!! I challenge you to read the labels of the foods you buy and do a little research for your own health.

Everything marked organic is not 100%. As an informed consumer I have educated myself on those which are 100% organic and those that are not.

Of course it is more expensive to purchase things that are healthy for you since they are not produced en mass by large commercial means(with pesticides, hormones and other poisons).

Some comments on this thread show how ignorant many people are about nutrition and disease. We are a whole being. What we eat makes a BIG difference on our health. They cannot be separated.

Just Google "Nutrition and Disease" and see what you come up with....

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Once again the global environment impinges on our personal environments, and guess which loses (again). Somebody, can't remember whom said 'ask not what your environment can do for you, ask what you can do for your environment.' Or was it country, my history is a little shaky today.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join