It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women's Rights Advocates Oppose Palin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
"WASHINGTON, Sep 5 (OneWorld) - Alaska governor Sarah Palin -- John McCain's choice for vice-president -- may be a woman, but she is opposed to most policies that women's rights advocates espouse, say feminists and reproductive health experts. "
"Eleanor Smeal, president of the nonprofit Feminist Majority Foundation, states:

"Sarah Palin strongly opposes women's abortion and family planning rights. She is a proponent of teaching creationism in schools; a global warming skeptic, and an opponent on key environmental issues, such as protecting the polar bear in Alaska, and is for oil and natural gas drilling in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). Sarah Palin stands with John McCain, who is opposed to affirmative action for women in public employment, public education and public contracting, is opposed to legislation fighting wage discrimination for women (the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act), is opposed to the Violence Against Women Act, authored by Senator Joe Biden [the Democratic vice-presidential candidate], and has a zero rating with women's rights groups." "

"Further elucidating Palin's anti-feminist politics, Marcy Bloom, civil liberties advocate and executive director of Aradia Women's Health Center, Seattle's first nonprofit abortion and gynecological health center, writes:

"[Palin] is a self-described hockey mom, mother of five, is in favor of capital punishment, does not believe that global warming is human-made, is a long-time member of the National Rifle Association, and supports the teaching of both creationism and evolution in public schools. As would be expected, Sarah Palin also opposes medically accurate sexuality education programs and stated in 2006 that "she would fund [only] ‘abstinence-until-marriage' education.""

us.oneworld.net...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Most women are not so dim as to vote a candidate into office based on their sex organs.
I am a woman and I am tired of being led and labeled by our politicians and media to fit their agendas.
While I am not a hardcore "feminist" I believe that the issues in the above article are the one's we should be discussing about Palin. Who cares what she has between her legs!! I want to know what she stands for and how she will heal our nation and help keep my family safe and healthy.
At this point she has shown me nothing and shame on the Republicans for thinking they can put a woman on their ticket and win, it pisses me off. The underlying meaning of their choice is the unspoken demeaning opinion of women, that we are shallow and stupid and can't think for ourselves.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Why is it that groups like Feminist Majority, National Organization for Women, NAACP, only represent their liberal members?

Where was NOW and the NAACP for Condi Rice? Where was NOW for all the women raped and molested by Bill Clinton? Where was the NAACP for Clarence Thomas?

These groups who claim to be for women or blacks, then come out and slam them when they do advance their cause are just hypocrits.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have a lot of friends who are women's rights advocates. They LOVE Palin and have called McCain headquarters asking how they can volunteer.

The question is why does the media ONLY cover the liberal women's rights advocates?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Why is it that groups like Feminist Majority, National Organization for Women, NAACP, only represent their liberal members?

I can't speak for the NAACP, but the feminist groups are far more concerned with where candidates stand on women's issues, not their party. NOW and the Feminist Majority are both strong supporters of a women's right to choose when it comes to abortion; Palin opposes that.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by matttheratt

I can't speak for the NAACP, but the feminist groups are far more concerned with where candidates stand on women's issues, not their party. NOW and the Feminist Majority are both strong supporters of a women's right to choose when it comes to abortion; Palin opposes that.

I also know a black family who is 100% pro life and supports McCain and Palin. Maybe I should start my own paper and write a story: "Blacks Support McCain!"

Seriously, NOW doesn't speak for all women, as much as they try to make people believe that. There are tens of millions of women who are for women's rights who also oppose abortion on moral grounds. Abortion isn't the only women's issue.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Some of the "right's" opinions and views on women:

Jim Quinn:

Summary: On his syndicated radio show, Jim Quinn referred to the National Organization for Women as "the National Organization for Whores," and said of Philadelphia Daily News columnist Fatimah Ali: "[Y]ou know, Fatimah, what's your real name? Come on, seriously. I mean, get an American name, will you, if you want to be an American." He then asked: "You don't suppose she's a liberal black Muslim, do you?"
source

Mark Levin:

HANNITY: So that's the official liberal feminist position. Sarah Palin is not a woman. She's a man. Now, folks, these people are just -- they're not connecting. You know, Gloria Steinem -- well, the only thing she shares with Hillary is a chromosome. You know, folks, fear has now literally taken over the Democratic Party. Someone needs to start -- you know what? There's Happy Housewives, they were quoted in The New York Times, we're going to have -- maybe we'll have them on tomorrow to counter this nonsense.

But anyway, let's get to our phones. I see Mark is in Washington, D.C. Uh-oh. Is this him? Is that --

LEVIN: Dr. Hannity?

HANNITY: Dr. Levin. Thank me. How am I?

LEVIN: It's not the National Organization of Liberal Women. It's the National Organization of Ugly Women.
source

Chris Baker:

On the September 5 broadcast of his Minneapolis radio show, host Chris Baker asserted that the Code Pink protesters who interrupted Sen. John McCain's acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention on September 4 "ought to have all their tubes tied." Baker stated of McCain's speech, "I'll tell you, though, in the speech -- the best part of the speech was when those Code Pink nuts -- another bunch that ought to have all their tubes tied. All right? I can't stand these Code Pink broads."
source

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The same reason none of them have supported womens lib in Afganistan.

Though I'm willing to bet if Obama goes into Pakistan these groups will mention what a great thing he's doing over and over and over and over......

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
so now Sarah Palin is responsible for what other people say and do as well? That makes a lot of sense SD.. It's right up there with blaming John McCain for the shape of the economy.

It took a majority vote for the legislations to pass, and John McCain is just one cog in the machine..

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Some of the "right's" opinions and views on women:

Should I post all the comments about Palin and say this is how the "left" views women?

Also, Jim Quinn is a great radio host. You should listen to him even if you don't agree with him. He's very entertaining.

Here's what he has to say about abortion:

"Abortion is the Sacrament of the Feminist Church. It is the ultimate celebration of the separation of a woman from her nature. Feminists like this will go to any lengths to protect this so-called right. There is no abortion argument that is not rooted in feminist rage, personal inconvenience, or self loathing."

Source

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I don't think that was his point, I believe he was responding to my remarks on the right's unspoken (but now spoken) feelings about women.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

I also know a black family who is 100% pro life and supports McCain and Palin. Maybe I should start my own paper and write a story: "Blacks Support McCain!"

I'm not quite sure I get your point here.

Seriously, NOW doesn't speak for all women, as much as they try to make people believe that.

I have never gotten the impression they try to make people believe they speak for all women, and I'm not sure where you have. But, no, of course they don't speak for all women. They can't. They are an advocacy group that supports certain ideals and principles and not every woman alive is going to agree with them. I think they understand that. I think it's extremely obvious.

Do you think the American Family Association represents 100 percent of all American families? Of course not. Nor would I accuse them of trying to create the impression that they speak for every family in America. They might not even speak for a majority of them.

There are tens of millions of women who are for women's rights who also oppose abortion on moral grounds. Abortion isn't the only women's issue.

I don't disagree with anything you said there. That doesn't mean NOW has an obligation to support them or subscribe to their philosophy. It's rare that any advocacy group is going to be schizophrenic and support 2 totally oposing philosophies. They would become very dysfunctional very quickly.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by matttheratt]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

In all seriousness I wish you would post the Left's comments on women, I would love to compare the 2.
I am not a leftie or a rightie and I am still in the process of making my opinion so all info. would be appreciated.
If I got it all wrong I will be the first to swallow crow, just show me my error. If Obama had asked Hillary to run with him and the history was the same I would be coming down on that side and questioning their motives just the same.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
reply to post by LLoyd45

I don't think that was his point, I believe he was responding to my remarks on the right's unspoken (but now spoken) feelings about women.

That is correct.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO

In all seriousness I wish you would post the Left's comments on women, I would love to compare the 2.

Well here's what Joy Behar of The View had to say about Gov. Palin:

"As for Joy, she said "you can't trade a vagina for another vagina."

Nice, huh?

Source

And then there's Bill Maher who's in a class by hims... nevermind. Bill Maher and the word "class" don't belong in the same sentence.

Comedian Bill Maher cracked a tasteless “joke” involving Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s Down syndrome child — and referred to the Alaska governor as a “stewardess.”

In the monologue of his most recent HBO show, Maher noted that Palin has five children including an infant “that has Down syndrome. She had it when she was 43 years old. And it looks a lot like John Edwards.”

Then later in his show he was making fun of Levi, the fiance of Palin’s pregnant 17 year old daughter and held up campaign signs that Levi would be holding up on the campaign trail and one of the signs read “Vote for my Bitch’s Mom”.

Source

These people sound pretty progressive, don't they?

They are for women's rights until it's a woman who disagrees with them, and then they degrade and insult them.

I hate to say it but Hillary was right about the left's misogyny.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Well here's what Joy Behar of The View had to say about Gov. Palin:

"As for Joy, she said "you can't trade a vagina for another vagina."

Nice, huh?

I'm not offended by it yet. Maybe I would be if you could explain what she meant by that,

Source

And then there's Bill Maher who's in a class by hims... nevermind. Bill Maher and the word "class" don't belong in the same sentence.

Comedian Bill Maher cracked a tasteless “joke” involving Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s Down syndrome child — and referred to the Alaska governor as a “stewardess.”

In the monologue of his most recent HBO show, Maher noted that Palin has five children including an infant “that has Down syndrome. She had it when she was 43 years old. And it looks a lot like John Edwards.”

Then later in his show he was making fun of Levi, the fiance of Palin’s pregnant 17 year old daughter and held up campaign signs that Levi would be holding up on the campaign trail and one of the signs read “Vote for my Bitch’s Mom”.

Source

These people sound pretty progressive, don't they?

Do you realize how many right wingers have applied the word "bitch" to Hillary Clinton? George HW Bush's mother (our current president's grandmother) called her that, and Palin herself is alleged to have joked, when hearing that Barak Obama had wrapped up the democratic nomination, "looks like Sambo beat the bitch." Glenn Beck called her that. It seems to be okay to recklessly apply that term to any democrat (Pelosi, Feinstein, et. al have been called the same thing), but when it is applied to a republican!!! GASP!

They are for women's rights until it's a woman who disagrees with them, and then they degrade and insult them.

I wasn't aware female politicians had a special "right" to not be insulted and degraded. It certainly was never applied to Hillary Clinton.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The un named waitress who supposedly overheard an unverified conversation rumor just got spread some more, sad and pathetic.

new topics

top topics

join