It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror, Gore, Dark Humor and Everything Morbid…

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Yes, I saw youmention the cottage before and made a note of it. Could you describe it a little more?

I thought Hot Fuzz was also funny and it too was a Simon Pegg movie. Not as good as Shaun of the Dead tho.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DDay

Well the film trailers make The Cottage look more like a slasher/horror film but it really isn't. These two brothers come up with this plot to kidnap the daughter of a mobster and hold her for ransom, and they drag her out to this cottage. But she turns out to be the hostage from hell, and then the mobster sends some sadistic asian gangsters after them...and then the psychotic axe murder from the farm down the road shows up. It all takes place in one night out in the woods.

It is mostly humor with suspense, and the last bit is classic slasher horror. But it is a funny film, very clever, lots of little plot twists and off beat british humor. Very likeable characters.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It's not horror....but for dark humor, I like Grosse Point Blank...a hitman goes to his High School Reunion... great flick...

For really dark...there's always the Cell with J-Lo... Man that was dark....and just eerie...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
i still think of michael myers when alone in a big dark field or outside in the dark alone

i saw it when i was 6 and has had a lasting effect

the scene where he's being transported dead in ambulance,,, wakes up and starts slamming the guys head into the wall

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Another dark humour one: The Cable Guy

Love it

[edit on 17/1/09 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Watch Mirrors. It is one of the better horror movies that I have seen in a while.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
"Severance" was a pretty good film.
Also liked the zombie Big Brother,"Dead Set"

I love just about all zombie movies,and have a huge collection!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Who's seen "1408".
Watched it for the first time last night.
I haven't felt that un-nerved over a movie in a long time.
It's very well made and it's as creepy as you like.

John Cusack is good in it and so is Samuel L Jackson in the short scene/'s he's in.

It's very claustrophobic but I have never seen a film that makes you feel so trapped.

There are some pretty good shock scenes, (the ones that make you jump), but not too many.

It's just a really good ghost story IMO.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Chukkles]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
Who's seen "1408".

I''ve seen it and someone else mentioned it on this thread. It seems to be one of those movies that really freaks some people out, but leaves others cold. Personally that sort of "fantasy" weird stuff that goes on mostly in the guys mind never gets to me, but as stated some people really liked it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Don't know if this has been mentioned in here, but I just got done watching "Funny Games" I know it's a year old by now but I had never seen it.
www.imdb.com...

What a truely disturbed film, it's really quite horrific, not gore but actions.
It's not pleasant to watch at all, but i'm not saying it's a bad film.

It's actually quite an accurate portrail of human nature, "What do you do in that kind of situation?", well you do whatever you can to the best of your ability.

Tim Roth and Naomi Watts play their parts very well, as do the psychos Michael Pitt and Brady Corbet, although I had never heard of them before this. They play their roles very well and they come off extremely disturbing.

There are some odd parts were Micheal Pitt's character talks to you through the screen, I'm guessing that is to reasure you that your watching a movie, but even that is quite un-nerving.

I recommend you see it but I can't guarantee you'd like it.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Sounds interesting, I will watch Funny Games.

Just saw The Orphanage, by the director of Pans Labyrinth, Guillermo Del Toro.

EXCELLENT old fashioned ghost story. Drama, great acting, subtitles, huge old house (orphanage, an orphan that was adopted buys it as an adult), creepy child ghosts, etc... If you have ever seen The Changling with George C. Scott, this movie is similiar and better, and original. If you like ghost stories this movie rocks! Great ending. All all around very satisfying film.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
i also liked Wrong Turn\

where kids get stranded in the woods of west virginia,,,
scary people chasing them,,,they were gory and real looking

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I found something some of you may enjoy. A bunch of full length hour long episodes of Showtimes Masters of Horror series. For those that are not familiar with that series, each episode is a different story directed by one of the top horror film directors. Fun stuff. The video quality is fantastic.

Not sure how long they will be up, but they are up now...

www.guba.com...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I guess you might call this 'dark humor' ...

(click to open player in new window)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Death Valley: The Revenge of Bloody Bill. Its a very B-rate movie that I think you'd have trouble finding at a video store. If you can though, worth the renting fee. If you appreciate independent effort, you'll enjoy it and if you don't like low production value movies, you will like it for all the wrong reasons.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hi Sonya610,

Heres a couple for you:

Martyrs (2008,french)about girls getting kidnapped.

www.imdb.com...

and

Men Behind The Sun (1988,Hong Kong) about Unit 731 in WW2.

www.imdb.com...

Both are off the chart in terms of gore and sick horror,but the latter is extra sick as its based on truth-not for the faint hearted.
It is in fact one of the most horrific depictions of how horrible humans can be,DO NOT watch it if you are sensitive/unstable.

Not really my kind of films,but they stuck in my head so I thought I would share.

edit sp

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Men Behind The Sun (1988,Hong Kong) about Unit 731 in WW2.

www.imdb.com...

I think I have seen a bit of that movie on a gore site, if I recall there were scientists "experimenting" with bugs on a woman strapped to a chair? Possibly shot in black and white?

If that is the same movie yeah it was hard core, also seemed rather fetish oriented. I forgot about it (not sure if i knew the name) and will check it out.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
WOOHOO! im a HUGE horro movie fan, i was anturally attracted to horoor ever since i was a kid. LOVED the old blobl movies, the balck and white dracula and wearwolf movies By majority i love zombie movies
return of the living dead, night of the living dead, The thing remake(kurt russell), day the earth stood still(1950's), dawn of the dead remake rocked! dead alive.... and i lvoe underground horror
those kinda movies have the most blood and gore ever! too bad mainstream cinemas wont play them lol...
Hostel part 1 and 2 were very interesting..saw kinda got overplayed in my opinon, like the nightmare on elm street movies. i loved horror movies form the 1980's..cause it wasnt all fake and computer animation. Well fake yes, but at least it took REAL design , ingenuity, skill and creativity to make those mosnters and zombies in that time phrame
literally made you wanna jump outta your seat in fear

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Sounds like the same film yes.About bio weapon experiments in ww2.Although I think my brain has selectivley removed the bugs scene you referred to.
I saw a colour copy of the film,but maybe theres B+W version as well.
Just be careful with that one though,
Theres a particular scene with a woman,and ice cold water(youll know it when you see it)-when i watched it my mate whos a big hard as nails martial arts teacher actually turned green and left the room gagging,soon to visit the toilet for some quality puking.Not a nice film at all.But at least it teaches you something real,unlike many other horrors films.

Like I said,not for the faint of heart.
Regards,SS

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Some new to me ideas,thanks so much!

"Eden Lake"...interesting and totally disturbing,the ending freaked me out.

"Let the Right One In"...Vampire flick like I've never seen before...thought provoking and chilling.

LOVED "Funny Games",very un-settling!Also enjoyed "30 Days of Night..."

"The Serpent and the Rainbow" and oldie but always creeps me out.

"Phantasm"...STILL can't pass a cemetary without thinking about the "Tall Man",LOL!

The Clive Barker based "Hellraiser" series: who can forget "Pinhead???"

"Jeepers Creepers"...real "monster movie" and honestly like the 2nd one better! The actor who plays the "Creeper" is a friend of mine,gorgeous and sweet guy! They are doing the 3rd installment soon.

"Audition" ...totally creeped me out!

[edit on 20-6-2009 by irishchic]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join