It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror, Gore, Dark Humor and Everything Morbid…

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Just watched "Pathology". Good movie! Not really "scary" but dark and twisted. Imagine the crew from CSI, now imagine they like to kill and make each other guess how they did it. They also enjoy kinky sex and drugs.

Very clever and entertaining film. Good acting. I recommend it.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'm a sucker for oldies. I can't stand Jason because the guy can't die, so in my opinion, that takes away the whole purpose of the movie. I mean if he can never die and he just goes around killing people, then there's no chance for humanity, and therefor he automatically wins every single time... what's the point? I like Freddy and Scream is one of my favorites. Seriously, the whole Chucky-thing.... NOT SCARY. When it comes to live-dolls, The Twilight Zone did it best with "Talkie-Tina"... that's about it.

Anywho... I LOVE the original Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Mummy, The Wolf-man and all those classics. I just can't stand Dracula. Seriously, Bela Lugosi scared the crap out of me when i was little, and it's never been the same :w:

Favorite horror movie, though: The Bride of Frankenstein, hands-down. It's just so touching, it really is.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Sorry to see this thread dwindle.........

I like the film "Descent" about a group of women who go cave exploring.
Good job. I've seen a million horror films but refused to go downstairs to get cookies f during this film cause i was so creeped out.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

I too like horror films that deal with psychology - I guess most do in a most basic way, but if you really want to mess yourself up for a while, get into the head of the main character in "Maniac" from 1980. Dear God, not a film to be seen more than once.

www.imdb.com...

Also, I can't say if it falls in the horror category or just plain vile category, but "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" is about as tough a film to stomach as the old "I spit on your Grave" type of films...eeeshhh.

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
I too like horror films that deal with psychology - I guess most do in a most basic way, but if you really want to mess yourself up for a while, get into the head of the main character in "Maniac" from 1980. Dear God, not a film to be seen more than once.

www.imdb.com...

Also, I can't say if it falls in the horror category or just plain vile category, but "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" is about as tough a film to stomach as the old "I spit on your Grave" type of films...eeeshhh.

ColoradoJens

Thanks. I will watch Maniac. Not sure I have seen it.

Henry was pretty good too. Bit of trivia, Henry Lee Lucas was the ONLY death row inmate to have their death sentence commuted by Texas Govenor George W. Bush.

On the fiction side, I watched two amusing movies about serial killers recently. Now keep in mind I really enjoy it when killers are shown as multidimensional, funny or philosophical or whatever. Both were "documentary" style films in which the killers film their crimes. They would make a great double feature.

The Last Horror Movie Pretty well done, has fairly brutal scenes and some witty dark humor. A serial killer hires a homeless guy to follow him around filming his kills and his philosophy about killing and life.

Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon -- More twisted humor. Imagine if you could follow a slasher around and interview him as he prepares for his great crime spree slaughtering teenagers. Not really scary, not much gore, but truly hilarious, especially if you are into slasher flicks.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I own Behind the Mask. I thought it was pretty cool. Its pretty much a 'how to' on slasher films. Then the ending gives it a nice little twist.

The Descent was a great movie as well. I saw it a week before its premeire at an early screening. Neil Marshall is a great director and writer imo. He also has done Dog Soldiers, which is an awesome werewolf movie, and Doomsday, which was intended to be an homage to movies like the Road Warrior, and Escape from New York. Although it got mixed reviews, I thought it was amazing, definetely worth putting on your 'to watch' list.

I don't know if it has been said on here, or if you have seen it, but if you like science fiction/horror movies, you have to check out Even Horizon. Here is a snippet from wiki about the movie:

In the year 2047, a signal from the starship Event Horizon is picked up on Earth. The ship had disappeared without trace beyond Neptune in 2040; her loss was considered the worst space disaster on record. The ship has reappeared in a decaying orbit around the planet Neptune, and the rescue ship Lewis and Clark is dispatched to investigate. The ship's crew is commanded by Captain Miller (Laurence Fishburne) and carries the Event Horizon's designer, Dr. William Weir (Sam Neill).

When the Lewis and Clark arrives, the crew are informed by Dr. Weir that the Event Horizon had actually been built to test a secret, experimental gravity drive. The drive would create an artificial black hole to bridge two points in space to significantly reduce journey time. The ship had been on its initial test flight, intended to reach Proxima Centauri; it subsequently vanished without a trace. Weir plays to the crew the only signal received since the ship's reappearance, which is a series of confusing screams and shouts, embedded in which is the Latin phrase liberate me ("save me").

Even Horizon Wiki

Things only get better from there on in. Great movie.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by schism85]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

The Rise of Leslie Vernon somehow reminded me of this little known cheap-o done right. I thought, for when it was made, it was funny and well done (and for no$) It's called "Series 7: The Contenders"

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I just watched "The Girl Next door" and its one of the most unsettling films I've seen in a while.

Sort of a "Stand by Me" meets "Hostel" and based on a very true story.

A recommend for anyone who's into the psychological type movie.

I still feel weird.......

[edit on 12-11-2008 by clearlight808]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by clearlight808

I like both of your last posts, with The Descent and The Girl Next Door, both good suggestions - I only thought the Descent started to drag at the very end, but talk about your tight spaces phobias! Girl Next Door is well paced and bizzarre. Just the kind of thing I like. Did you ever see Series 7 The Contenders? I posted a clip above - more dark humor than horror, but I had forgotten about it until this thread jogged my memory - check it out if not - it's funny and good.

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I've told people before...it doesn't get any darker, more morbid, more disgusting, more offensive, more throw up in your mouth disgusting than "August Underground: Mordum".

It just doesn't.

Please don't watch it. I'm begging you.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'll have too peep both of those in my Netflix account.

I'm lovin this thread....

I just got ASYLUM and ORGANIZM but havent watched them yet.......let you know gow it goes....

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Hope I'm not being a thread hog here. I don't know what to say about this - it seems no one has seen this film other than a handful here in the States -BAD BOY BUBBY - one of the most disturbing openers of any film - no gore, no blood, nothing other than a 35 year old man and his mum and cat. Dear God, this movie is AWESOME!: It is actually uplifting in a way I can't explain - it just gets better and better as it goes. I love this movie. here is a basic description:

Bubby (Nicholas Hope) has spent all of his 35 years locked in one room. His mother (Claire Benito) feeds and washes him like a baby, but she also uses him for sex. She has raised him to believe that if he goes outside the door – which is always locked – he will die from the poisoned air. She leaves him alone for long periods where he believes Jesus is watching him. Bubby’s only companion is a cat, which he torments. He is not malicious, more a naughty child.

Without killing the story, he escapes, becomes a rock star etc etc etc. A ususal, the Aussie are one step up on true cinema. The ominous soundtrack, in its total simplicity is awesome.

www.australianscreen.com.au...

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I saw about 10 minutes and it was enough. It is "Henry" x's 10. The degredation factor is off the charts. I cannot do these films anymore, personally. There once was a time I was interested in the fim making/stylistic approach of the gore, but yowza, this takes the cake. Also, it seemed the acting was farcial - at least from what I saw. Uggghh. Truly one that pushes the limits of freedom of expression.

CJ

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I agree with you on that.

I watched it all the way through one time, and swore I would never do it again.

Truly a disgusting piece of film.

Only for the extremely seasoned gore fan.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
Hope I'm not being a thread hog here.

Hog away! Flood me baby! I have read the posts and checked out most of the films mentioned (sadly some are not available through blockbuster) and loving it. Some very good stuff mentioned, can find the youtube trailers and that shows twisted genius.

This thread is about throwing out suggestions and providing others with new/undiscovered films!

[edit on 13-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJensHe will die from the poisoned air....Bubby’s only companion is a cat, which he torments. He is not malicious, more a naughty child.

Not that I am judging...but animal abuse is a hard limit for me. I have turned off a few good horror flicks when went that way. Everything else is fair game.

August Underground: Mordum -- that title is not available on blockbuster but it looks quite good.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Anyone see this movie called Alucarda?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just saw "Pathology"......liked it a lot. As was said before, not a "scary" movie but more of a horror drama".

Lets keep those requests coming.

For the classics, I'd recommend "The Shining" , "The Serpent and the Rainbow", and "Hellraiser"

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
If you want twisted or just plain gory:

Cannibal Holocaust
Faces of Death
Traces of Death
I Spit on Your Grave
ANY Takashi Miike film
Any Lucio Fulci film
Re-Animator
Xtro
Toxic Avenger films
Terror Firmer
Bloodsucking Freaks

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
I've told people before...it doesn't get any darker, more morbid, more disgusting, more offensive, more throw up in your mouth disgusting than "August Underground: Mordum".

It just doesn't.

Please don't watch it. I'm begging you.

August Underground was just plain silly in my opinion.

The gore: didn't do much to satisfy my hornyness for gore.

but the unsettling factor of it: score for the filmmakers.

Almost made me feel dirty afterwards just as much Salo did.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by GorehoundLarry]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join