It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror, Gore, Dark Humor and Everything Morbid…

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GordonJQ
Ginger Snaps Series. Canadian Werewolf series of movies. Adds humor, but its dark humor, with death, ripping people apart, so forth.

Ohhh...sounds interesting. Are these made for television and pg rated? Or a bit rougher?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Not made for TV, very rough. Here's some details...

Ginger Snaps

[edit on 1-10-2008 by GordonJQ]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by GordonJQ
Ginger Snaps Series. Canadian Werewolf series of movies. Adds humor, but its dark humor, with death, ripping people apart, so forth.

Ohhh...sounds interesting. Are these made for television and pg rated? Or a bit rougher?

Certainly a 'rough' sort of series. Great movies.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
"Bad Taste" From the early '80s. Aliens eat people in England. Sick but funny.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Watch Night of the Demons. It was excellent and will always be one of my top favs. Its about a group of teens having a halloween party and one by one the are possesed. Very well made, Linnea Quigley co stars. Classic 80s horror flick. Also, so many bring up George Romero, but I have failed to hear any word of Martin. Great movie, possible tops Night of the living dead, and definetly my fav of all Romeros movies. Its about a young vampire. The cinematography is just amazing. If you haven't seen it, run to your video store and grab a copy. I think the Hostel series have strived for maximum gore, and therefore should have a place at the top of gore movies. The filthyness award definetly goes to Pink Flamingos, even thou its not horror, there are a few scenes in that movie that will make you close your eyes lol. The Thing by John Carpenter is probably the gooeyist of movies, and is also one of my top favs. It is one of carpenters best, and a must see for any horror film fan. These are my picks, I suggest seeing all of them. I think ginger snaps is like a teeny horror werewolf flick, I've never had the desire to see it, but I guess it has had good reviews. And Bad Taste is an awesome movie, very 80s and very trashy and gory. It was directed py Peter Jackson, and if Iam not mistaken, it was his first movie.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by schism85]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Speaking of "rough" I just watched Audition.

A very well produced, Japanese flick (subtitles) with good acting. It vascillates between soft/subtle and very extreme, the visuals and mood really offset the hassle of the subtitles. Think sweet submissive (insane) Japanese girl meets nice, gentle devoted guy.

Definitely something different; a fascinating movie that will not be forgotten anytime soon. Those that choose to watch it need to chill out and go with the flow, it starts off calm and then builds slowly, but it doesn't disappoint.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Very rough indeed. This movie was great. There are some scenes there that will make you grip on to something, or close your eyes. Not for the faint of heart or the queasy

When I think of rough movies, a few come to mind. High tension is one of them. It is a french horror movie (in english for those of you who don't like subtitles), that is just over the top brutal. The names says it all. Very cool twist ending as well.

Also, another brutal gem is Last House on the Left. Its an old movie made by Wes Craven, and if Iam not mistaken it was his first. Very brutal and sadistic movie about a kidknapping. If you like good old fashion brutality, and a great revenge ending, check out this flick.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by schism85]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I have heard of eraserhead being cool also, I have never seen it on the shelf to buy it though. Iam a huge Stanley Kubrick fan, and when he was shooting the Shining I believe, he made the crew sit down and watch erasehead to put them in the mood he wanted from them. I thought that was pretty cool. The only thing I have seen in the stores is a box set, don't know whats inside, but its like $50. Its on my wishlist. Ebay also has copies of the film.

As for masters of horror, I do not have showtime, but I have seen the entire first season. Some of them were weak. My favorites were Sick Girl by Luck Mcgee the same guy who did May. Angela Bettis stars in both. Jennifer was really strange, and messed with your head a little. And I couldn't get enough of John Landis' Deer Woman. It was halarious. Typical John Landis humor.

The 8 films to die for were weak imo. I watched like 2, and gave up on the films altogether.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by schism85]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I watched Funny Games last night. It was okay, not as good as friend of mine said it was though. It was kind of weird, but didn't do a lot for me.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by schism85
The only thing I have seen in the stores is a box set, don't know whats inside, but its like $50. Its on my wishlist. Ebay also has copies of the film.

The 8 films to die for were weak imo. I watched like 2, and gave up on the films altogether.

Yeah I agree on the 8 films to die for, they are okay for killing time but not all that great.

I have blockbuster online, its like $21 a month for 3 videos at a time through the mail. You can return them at the store too for free movies or use them as coupons and rent movies for $2 a piece.

They carry most of the horror titles (even Audition, they do carry unrated stuff). I just put eraserhead on my list. I don't work for blockbuster (even though it may sound like it!) but compared to renting or buying movies, it is a very good deal. I get 17 movies a month for $21 on that plan (could probably get more if i returned them promptly), then maybe rent a few more at $2 a piece, it is a good deal.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Yeah I used to do netflix for awhile, I'd get 3 a week for $20 something a month. But I ended up falling off track with them. I like building my dvd collection anyway. The only thing that sucks if I want to see how a movie is, then I have to either listen to critics, or take my chances on buying it, and hopefully liking it. I did notice though that sometimes netflix would have something blockbuster online didn't and vice versa, so its a hard choice to make between the two of them. I usually go to frys to buy movies, alot of good movies their are in the ranges of 5$-20$, so I bring $30 and I get a descent amount of movies to watch and add to my collection.

As for the horrorfest films, I watched gravedancers because fangoria magazine gave it their stamp of approval, and I said to myself okay, if fangoria gives it the stamp, then it must be worth watching, and I was sorely mistaken. Same with wicked little things, I fell asleep trying to tread through it. So I never watched them again.

I thought funny games was okay. Not much to the story. I wonder how the original one was. I think its in german, Iam not sure. Reeker was a decent newer horror movie. If I told you what it was about, I'd be spoiling it. There is a really cool ending. I kind of figured it out while watching it. But It was still really good. Here is the description from wiki:

When a lonely highway is inexplicably closed, five students sharing a ride to a party in the desert find themselves trapped at an empty motel. Refusing to let the new circumstances interfere with their fun, they settle in only to be interrupted by odd, haunting visions of severely mutilated travelers. The gruesome sightings may explain the sudden abandonment of the motel and diner, but the appearance of the retiree with a missing wife confirms their worst fears. He too has seen the dying people - victims of a killer, one that has likely taken his wife - a killer trailing a dark force of decay and rot.

It may sound like a slasher, but its totally not at all. You should put it in your list.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by schism85]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by schism85

Yeah see I never buy movies, well except Rob Zombie flicks, the first two I can watch again and again.

The only two 8 films to die for that I found interesting were Unrest and the Death of Ian Stone. Neither were really scary, but both were somewhat freaky and fetish oriented.

Oh and yeah, I will add Reeker to the list. Never heard of it before!

[edit on 12-10-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I thought funny games was okay.

It was alright. It's not something that I'd watch over and over, though.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Gravedancers is pretty good if you like supernatural horror. I personally like many of the horror fest films. I think they are pretty fair for independently made stuff.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I read like a 3 page article about Gravedancers, and when I was done I was pretty psyched, but then I rented it, and I was completely let down. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I din't like it at all. Kind of bland to me.

Yes, I have only seen funny games once, and thats enough for me. Not a movie to watch over and over. It really didn't deliver for me.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I tell you, right now there are three movies I really want to see.

Strangers

The Happening

Mirrors

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

You wont be let down with reeker I promise. I have heard good things about the Deaths of Ian Stone, but I was scarred from the first set of movies, that I really didn't bother with the second set. Maybe I will, after all, they are all from different writers and directors right?

BTW, I hope you didn't buy Zombie's Halloween. 2 thumbs down. T-Rex is his new film, based on a comic he wrote I believe, about a gang of crazy bikers. Iam not sure when it is supposed to be released, but Iam sure you could find out.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Strangers was okay, lots of people that I know said it sucked, but I can give it some props. Definetly worth giving it a go. The happening imao was good, untill the end. The end did not deliver the goods 4 me. Mirrors looks awesome, I love Aja, the director. He is the writer director of High Tension, P2 (which was great for those of you who have not seen it!), and the hills have eyes remake and Iam looking forward to it coming out on dvd.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

High tension is one of them. It is a french horror movie (in english for those of you who don't like subtitles), that is just over the top brutal. The names says it all. Very cool twist ending as well.

High Tension is quite good, though the dubbed voices are horrid. I would think it would be better to watch it in French with subtitles.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I think it was only partially dubbed. I really didn't catch it, but maybe i did because I have not seen it in awhile. It was a breath of fresh air to me at the time.

I really don't mind subtitles at all. I just bought an Italian anthology movie called Black Sabbath directed by Mario Bava, and Boris Karloff is in the wrap around. It was originally shot in english, but dubbed in italian. The U.S. release cut so much out, that the italian dubbed version seems to be the recommended version to buy. So that is on my list to watch. I guess that is where Black Sabbath the band originally got its name. And Tarantino claims that this movie was the inspiration for Pulp Fiction.

Audition had subtitles, and I thought it was awesome. It was directed by Takshi Miike, who also directed the MOH episode Imprint. I believe it was not aired on showtime due to its "extremly graphic and disturbing content". I thought it was pretty good. It was in engilsh though, and was said to take away from the story because it didn't flow the same way it would have in Japanese.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join