It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror, Gore, Dark Humor and Everything Morbid…

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This thread is for those that have dark cinematic tastes. Share what’s new, what is old and possibly undiscovered by the masses; what films and series you really enjoy.

Please play critic. Share why you liked it (acting, visuals, gore, emotion, shock value, tension, artistic expression, humor, etc…) so that others can decide if it is something they might enjoy. The genre is so varied; there are so many titles out there, many of which are not worth viewing. Help others with dark tastes weed through the rubbish and find the jewels.

If it worked for you (or didn't work at all and you believe others should be warned off) post why you liked it!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
i have heaps of horror movies (trying to get every horror ever made
)

Favs:
Saw Series (wife refused to watch Saw 4)

Hostel 1 & 2 the concept portrayed in the movies were very disturbing

See no Evil was a bit cheesy but pretty gory thumbs up

i love all George Romero moviesonly one of his i havent got is the remade version of night of the dead and i cant wait for Diary of the Dead to be released in Oz

friday 13, elm st and halloween series are always good for a laugh.

Wolf creek messed with my mind abit cause i do abit of driving around the Australian outback

house of 1000 corpses rocked but devils rejects sucked

dead silence wasnt a bad movie

rest stop kicked ass

unrest apparently used real dead bodies in the movie.

i could go on and on for pages but they are the one that come to mind for now

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred
Hostel 1 & 2 the concept portrayed in the movies were very disturbing
Wolf creek messed with my mind abit cause i do abit of driving around the Australian outback

house of 1000 corpses rocked but devils rejects sucked

dead silence wasnt a bad movie
rest stop kicked ass
unrest apparently used real dead bodies in the movie.

Yeah the Hostel movies were fun. Especially the second one, lots of dark humor. Wolf Creek was too realistic for my tastes! Sheesh. I thought Devil’s Rejects was better than House. Loved both of them, but both are more about the killers than the victims. Rest stop was HORRID. I know some say they liked it, but the actress was so bad I wanted her to die sooner than later, and then just stopped watching halfway through. Ugh.

Unrest was an interesting film, Part of the “Eight Films To Die For” Series. The producer was obviously really into the “dead female” thing. Sadly a lot of the yearly “8 Films” really aren’t that good overall, some are okay but not has hard hitting as one would expect. Unrest was one of the more creative ones. The Death of Ian Stone was interesting too.

Have you see the Masters of Horror Showtime series? A lot of those are dark and humorous. Some are just dark. Cigarette Burns by John Carpenter was quite twisted. Its an entertaining series worth renting.

Another non-classic film I recently watched was Sweeney Todd. It is a musical, but done in the class dark Tim Burton/Johnny Depp style. Humorous, dark, tons of blood, and pretty good emotional content as well.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
im pretty sure ive seenthe masters of horror ones

not sure ive heard of Sweeny Todd or death of Ian stone.

i didnt thik reststop was too bad, the next day i saw a yellow pick up exactly the same driving around, for days afterwards id see it everywhere i started thinking this is weird, i prolly seen it before i saw the movie too but just never noticed it though my friends found it to be a great source of amusement when i told them and they still dig me about it.

have you seen the move Bugs? im not sure if it was supposed to be a horror/thriller but to this day i still dont understand what the hell was going on.

Also have you seen Diary of the Dead (latest romero release) ive heard its out but i cant get it here in Oz

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The Guinea Pig series out of Japan was a bit too much for me, with regards to the hyper realistic gore. I attempted to watch 'Flowers of Flesh and Blood' once, but got about 20 minutes into the movie before I had to turn it off.

Cannibal Holocaust is one of my all-time favorite horror/gore flicks, although I haven't seen it in years.

I enjoyed the Hostel series, a very scary sort of scenario which isn't too hard to believe.

Never really got into any of the Saw movies, although I've been meaning to watch them all. I remember seeing the first one when it was new and enjoying it.

I haven't seen Wolf Creek, but I've heard good things.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I loved the First SAW movie, the rest just seemed too be made too cash in on the original (Yes I know that is why sequels and movies are made in general.) and it was too obvious.

Poltergeist 1, one of my all time favs... "They're hereeeee." Classic!

Amytivile 1,2 and 3. Awesome for their time.

American werewolf in London... excellent effects, also for the time.

belive it or not... The Blair Witch Project, simply because of the budget and the media hype. The second one was awful.

The Ring, good concept.

Silent Hill, good transition from game too movie... but in saying that, too much CGI.

I have heaps and heaps....

But that will do for now.

(Flag and star, for something relative to my intrest.)

Cheers, Fox.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Wolf Creek is the typical college kids on a roadtrip meet a psychotic killer in the outback and get chased around. The violence is brutal, but the killer lacked much personality. Plus it was too realistic, there is nothing amusing or sexy about a man punching a girl in the face and nearly beating her to death (that would NEVER have been allowed in American horror films).

I may see if I can rent the Guinea Pig series. I have never gotten into Asian horror but I have heard good things about it.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
30 Days of Night

I watched that last night. Decent flick! A small town in Alaska gets cut off during the month of darkness, and attacked by a gang of vampires.

Sounds hokey, but it was pretty good! The vampires were pretty darn creepy and not at all romanticized, the acting was good, the film created some honest tension. The setting of a remote little town being cut off was realistic.

Worth watching.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
A few personal favorites of mine are more psychological horror than gore.

Mr. Frost
This movie is nearly 20 years old, but I still get the hee-bee jee-bees when I watch it. Jeff Goldblum does a wonderful job as Lucifer in the flesh.

Shaun of the Dead
I'm generally not a zombie enthusiast, but I enjoy this flick each and every time.

Dressed to Kill
Definitely old school. The whole stalking serial killer theme still keeps me on edge.

Frailty
Interesting mission-from-God premise. That and Matthew McConaughey didn't hurt either.

Otherwise, I'm not a big fan of the slasher/gore genre.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Sadly a lot of the yearly “8 Films” really aren’t that good overall, some are okay but not has hard hitting as one would expect. Unrest was one of the more creative ones. The Death of Ian Stone was interesting too.

Actually, I think most of them are pretty good, especially when one takes into consideration that they are independently made.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred
not sure ive heard of Sweeny Todd

I have seen Sweeny Todd... I didn't care for it. They basically tried to mix horror with a musical and a comedy, not a good mix. Of course, in my opinion, anytime you try to mix comedy with horror, you're asking for problems. Also, I am not a big Johnny Depp fan. About the only movie he has ever starred in that I really enjoyed was Secret Window.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust

Ooohh…Mr. Frost looks good. I have never even heard of that movie. Will definitely rent it.

If you liked the british humor in Shawn of the Dead I would suggested watching The Cottage. It is too funny, has some horror/gore too but the characters are hilarious.

Yes, Frailty was a good movie!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Sadly a lot of the yearly “8 Films” really aren’t that good overall, some are okay but not has hard hitting as one would expect. Unrest was one of the more creative ones. The Death of Ian Stone was interesting too.

Actually, I think most of them are pretty good, especially when one takes into consideration that they are independently made.

Some of them are okay. Some of them have HORRID acting, like the one about the Lake. But yes they are fairly entertaining.

You don't like humor with horror? Oh I love it. Some folks like horror movies featuring hot girls running away in skimpy outfits, I prefer horror films with witty, sexy bad guys that have a sense of humor. For me if the killers/monsters aren't entertaining the movie had better be REALLY scary or I will lose interest. The victims usually don't do it for me.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

You don't like humor with horror?

To me, comedy ruins a horror movie. A horror movie, at least by my standards, is supposed to be frightening, not humorous. But, hey, to each his/her own.

I have always liked movies like

The Shining

Cujo

The Ring

Et cetera. I am a horror film buff, so, it would be difficult for me to list all of my favorite horror flicks. I have a lot of them.
Unfortunately for the horror film genre, they are beginning to run out of freash ideas. They all seem to play off of a nother one. I mean, you are really limited as to what you can make a horror film about. The worst Horror fest 8 film I ever watched was Penny Dreadful. It was horrible.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
A horror movie, at least by my standards, is supposed to be frightening, not humorous. But, hey, to each his/her own.

Well there aren't a lot of truly scary horror films (not a fresh and constant supply at least). I mean scary is relative, but most don't strike me as scary so if it is well produced and entertaining I am happy. Plus I truly love dark, colorful, evil characters. Not because they are scary, but because they are sexy and so darn fun. I understand where you are coming from though, humor does often change the tone of the movie.

I have a hard time even THINKING of movies that really creeped me out as an adult. Ghosts can do it, if people like ghost stories "The Changling" (old George C. Scott Film) was good. "Skeleton Key" was entertaining, as was "What Lies Beneath". Ghost stories scare me because after watching a good one I can imagine those things happening in my house (it is harder to imagine a zombie invasion suddenly popping up).

Often people bring up movies that scared them when they were 12, because it stuck in their head. That is fine and all, but realistically a lot of those films are NOT all that scary when viewed today by adults.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sonya, yeah, I have seen so many horror films that they have little to no affect on me. However, one that I did see relatively recently that creeped me out was Shrooms. I recommend you see it if you get the chance. It's good.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
i loved 30 days of night it rocked

having a few horror buffs here i have to ask it....

have any of you seen eraserhead?

and what the hell was that movie about???? :bnghd:

its on my all time weird list....

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I have never seen eraserhead. Heard about it (chicken spewing blood) but I never thought it was really a horror movie. Always thought it was just a weird cult classic type film.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
For gore I think nothing will ever beat Cannibal Holocaust. Very disturbing and stomach turning
In more traditional horror I loved blair with the first.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ginger Snaps Series. Canadian Werewolf series of movies. Adds humor, but its dark humor, with death, ripping people apart, so forth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join