It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 years on, Sept. 11 is so far and yet so close

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

7 years on, Sept. 11 is so far and yet so close

www.usatoday.com

It is not a tidy anniversary this year. Seven years between that awful day and this Sept. 11, the terrorist attacks linger somewhere between the immediate, a conscious part of our days, and the comfortable remove of the distant past. No longer yesterday and not yet history.
What happened seven years ago colors American life today. There are the two wars, of course. But in smaller ways, too: We sing "God Bless America" at the ballpark. We weigh "evil" as a campaign issue. We slip off our shoes at airport security, buy the zip-top bag for liquids and gels.

And yet there is an unmistakable distance now. No one speaks of the "new normal" anymore. All of those things are just normal.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Does the "new normal" mean we are forgetting that day?

I remember the patriotism, the cries for justice, the American flags flying the bipartisinship and unity that followed that day.

I remember that day as if it was yesterday, with a surreal clarity, a kind of horror and feeling of vulnerability, a real measure of loss of what was the great United States of America.

I remember watching the news coverage while my mind seemed detached as if what I was seeing wasn't real.

I remember watching the collapse of the first tower, and the horrific thoughts of all of the people who were trapped inside.

I remember all of those who died such horrible deaths, those who had to choose between jumping or burning.

I remember deep thought for hours, days, weeks, over a simple one word question... WHY?

Everything from that day to this seems to have changed, the world seems to be a much more dangerous place.

7 years on, life goes on, a new visitor to ground zero in New York would hardly know where the twin towers once stood.

Has it really been seven years?

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
just like here in n.ireland the victims and family's of victims are not allowed to remember there loved ones in case the terrorists get upset and start killing again..we remember the dead but are not allowed to cry for justice because the peace we are now living in is nothing but an illusion..the terrorist give and take peace at there will and theres nothing governments can do about it.. 9-11 will become just another terrorist attack that will be washed over by government money and promises to terrorists to buy peace...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
i believe it is vital that we remember the horror that day unleashed on the free world...

to help refresh our memory, and in sound context, i offer:

Fitna Part 1/2

Fitna Part 2/2

"If the West wants to have peace, then they have to accept Islamic rule."
- Indonesian cleric, Abu Bakar Bashir

[edit on 7-9-2008 by feydrautha]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Change, a political motive, change for the better, moving on, a new world, a new leader, promises...

We have already changed, the shadows of the past may be distant, the future less bright. From the darkness, the spirit of the United States will shine its light of true freedom and peace on this world again one day.

We should never forget that day, no matter what we believe really happened. Rather than being a calling to war it should be a call to reflection and peace in honor of all who died needlessly on that day.

Seek justice where it is just, and return the USA to that greatness that was before September 11, 2001.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Remember?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I remember.

But now I feel foolish for believing the story that was handed to us. Wether or not you believe that there was any sort of domestic complicity, you have to at least admit that it is possible that we were sold out by our own leaders. And that is shameful enough that such a possibility even exists.

The "why" has still not been answered.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
The "why" has still not been answered.

That "why" may never be fully answered, the absolute unknowns of that day have been forever clouded in shrouds of conspiracy theories.

For a brief time following that horrible day, we seen the best among all Americans, there was hope for justice... A great deal of admiration, respect and immortal thanks should be given to all of those brave firefighters and rescue workers, too many died on that day, just like so many, doing their jobs, living the American dream.

Most of all, we should never forget the families of all who were lost to them forever on that day, their endless pain and sorrow should not go on in vein.

There are no clear answers, only memories, good and bad.

Like everything, I suppose the memories will fade.

Life goes on...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I for one, will never forget. I can still smell it. Much like my grandfather who was at Pearl Harbor I suppose. People will remember the day, but the feeling and details of the memories will fade into the pages of history. We will try to share it with our children and grandchildren, but really they will never know what it meant to be there that day, or to be an American on that day wherever you might have been.

I can say one thing though, I don't think that there is an American alive that doesn't remember where they were on that day.

[edit on 9/7/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
I for one, will never forget.

Nor I, and I think it is safe to say nor will millions from all walks of life, cultures, religions and nations all over this world.

7 years on now, reflection for me also includes a measure of disgust. How the attacks of that day were used to invade Iraq, to advance a war agenda in a direction that used the attacks on 9/11 as a vehicle to gain support for the wrong war.

I suppose that is another discussion, out of place here. Yet it is related.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Nearly 3,000 people, lives, families, each has a page, a profile, and a common, similar tragic ending.... As much as we should remember the events of that day, we should also remember the people.

www.cnn.com...

Look at the number of pages, click some of the names, read their profiles.

Never forget.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Remember the truth...

projects.publicintegrity.org...

President George W. Bush and seven of his administration's top officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, made at least 935 false statements in the two years following September 11, 2001, about the national security threat posed by Saddam Hussein's Iraq. Nearly five years after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, an exhaustive examination of the record shows that the statements were part of an orchestrated campaign that effectively galvanized public opinion and, in the process, led the nation to war under decidedly false pretenses.

On at least 532 separate occasions (in speeches, briefings, interviews, testimony, and the like), Bush and these three key officials, along with Secretary of State Colin Powell, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, and White House press secretaries Ari Fleischer and Scott McClellan, stated unequivocally that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction (or was trying to produce or obtain them), links to Al Qaeda, or both. This concerted effort was the underpinning of the Bush administration's case for war.

It is now beyond dispute that Iraq did not possess any weapons of mass destruction or have meaningful ties to Al Qaeda. This was the conclusion of numerous bipartisan government investigations, including those by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (2004 and 2006), the 9/11 Commission, and the multinational Iraq Survey Group, whose "Duelfer Report" established that Saddam Hussein had terminated Iraq's nuclear program in 1991 and made little effort to restart it.

In short, the Bush administration led the nation to war on the basis of erroneous information that it methodically propagated and that culminated in military action against Iraq on March 19, 2003. Not surprisingly, the officials with the most opportunities to make speeches, grant media interviews, and otherwise frame the public debate also made the most false statements, according to this first-ever analysis of the entire body of prewar rhetoric.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

Not only did Saddam not have ties to Al-Qaeda, but al-Qaeda itself never existed in the way that we were meant to believe. There was no hidden Army of terrorists just waiting for orders from bin-Laden much more than Al Sharpton has an army of brothas waiting to set an American city to burn in riots. OBL's followers are indeed a bit more militant, but again, not organized as a real Army. This is not to say that there wasn't some level of a legitimate threat, but certainly not what we were led to believe. Given the right circumstances, I'm sure Big Al knows enough dangerous people to tear up an American city too.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Wrong war right time?

We should also remember the 4155 US soldiers killed in Iraq. Along with 30568 wounded. The 314 coalition deaths and unspecified wounded, countless thousands of Iraqi civilians and others that may not be listed, as they also in many ways are all victims of the 9/11 attacks.

All of those lost in the fight against the Taliban and Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. The apparent right war, though those who fight under the flag of freedom no matter where are ALL heroes.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
A 9/11 survivor's story not to be missed and is available right here at abovetopsecret.com...

length: 1:44:37
file: atsmix_2711.mp3
size: 49041k
feed: atsmix

PART 1 Of The William Rodriguez Interview

PART 2 Of The William Rodriguez Interview

LISTEN To Stories From The AboveTopSecret.Com MEMBERSHIP

Full thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Wow you are right and I was telling the kids tonight that this will be the 5 year anniversary, dumb me, it just seems like yesterday in so many ways, that was the day my world here in the US really changed for good.

For the families and friends of the brave and the lost, it must be like yesterday too.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
www.rense.com...

February 13/14 1945: Holocaust over Dresden, known as the Florence of the North. Dresden was a hospital city for wounded soldiers. Not one military unit, not one anti-aircraft battery was deployed in the city. Together with the 600.000 refugees from Breslau, Dresden was filled with nearly 1.2 million people. Churchill had asked for "suggestions how to blaze 600.000 refugees". He wasn't interested how to target military installations 60 miles outside of Dresden. More than 700.000 phosphorus bombs were dropped on 1.2 million people. One bomb for every 2 people. The temperature in the centre of the city reached 1600 o centigrade. More than 260.000 bodies and residues of bodies were counted. But those who perished in the centre of the city can't be traced. Approximately 500.000 children, women, the elderly, wounded soldiers and the animals of the zoo were slaughtered in one night.

Churchill, the monster who ordered the Dresden slaughter, was knighted, and the rest is history. The cold-blooded sadism of the massacre, however, is brushed aside by his biographers, who still cannot bring themselves to tell how the desire of one madman to "impress" another one let to the mass murder of up to a half million men, women and children.

Yes our leaders will do these kinds of things. Yes "normal" people can do this, your ordinary elected president will do it, I mean it's war it's "justified".

We must remember the victims of 9/11, we must also remember who did it.
It was not Irak or Afghanistan who did it. It was not Osama Bin Laden.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by pai mei]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

Thank you Alarmist....
That is a much more fitting tribute to 9/11. In stark contrast to the person who posted the "Fitna" crap (Which is nothing more than a Zionist extremist video which perverts the peaceful muslim religion) .

You, Sir. Alarmist, actually share with us an actual TRUE hero from that day.
to you my friend.

I will never forget 9/11. I was winding down from working the night shift at the E.R. Actually, was starting to doze off - when family came yelling to me: "Our country is under attack!". In my sleepy haze I mumbled "Leave me alone..Yeah, Yeah, country under........" Then woke right up.

I will never forget.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Someone told me to let go of Sept.11,2001. “Just forget about it” they said.
I had this to say to them:
“IF you can remember shortly after September 11th, 2001,
there was this common phrase that was ringing my ears and
I’m going to assume it was ringing YOUR ears too.
In fact, there is a very strong chance that you uttered
the very exact same phrase I am writing about.
The phrase I am talking about, I thought, was a promise.
A promise that I had personally made to myself. I have kept my promise. Have you kept yours?”

“We will never forget” - Every True Patriot, September, 2001

We will never forget the most horrific crime in United States history,
We will never forget the airplanes that hit their targets with pure precision,
We will never forget “W” being informed,
We will never forget that “W” said he saw the first plane hit the first building,
We will never forget the most sudden and exact collapse of two skyscrapers in NYC,
We will never forget who did security at the WTC,
We will never forget who was leasing the WTC,
We will never forget the report;”secondary explosives”
We will never forget William Rodriguez’s testimony,
We will never forget he refused to be bought,
We will never forget the statements made by hundreds of EYE witnesses,
We will never forget the most sudden and exact collapse of a third skyscraper in NYC.
We will never forget who occupied WORLD TRADE CENTER SEVEN
We will never forget who decided to “pull” WTC7,
We will never forget a countdown to the collapse of WTC7,
We will never forget the expedited shipment of evidence overseas,
We will never forget who didn’t see a plane fly into the Pentagon,
We will never forget who did see a plane fly into the pentagon
We will never forget the small round hole in the outer ring,
We will never forget the small round hole in the inner ring,
We will never forget the witness who spoke of an aroma of cordite,
We will never forget the confiscated videos,
We will never forget the released video,
We will never forget the plane in Shanksville, Pennsylvania,
We will never forget who was in charge,
We will never forget that the “order still stands!”,
We will never forget the NORAD exercise,
We will never forget the confusion during the chain of commands,
We will never forget the TOTAL disintegration and disappearance of an airplane,
We will never forget who was accused,
We will never forget being told that alternate theories will not be tolerated,
We will never forget Project for the New American Century pg 63,
We will never forget the “War on Terror”,
We will never forget the “weapons of mass destruction”,
We will never forget the “unknown unknowns”,
We will never forget who “W” appointed to head the 9-11 commission
We will never forget what the U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. A.C.T. stands for,
We will never forget that our freedom to speak is a right,
We will never forget the failure of our intelligence agency to cooperate with our bureau of investigation,
We will never forget who was promoted,
We will never forget who was fired,
We will never forget the true heroes are,
We will never forget the innocent victims,
We will never forget the first responders,

Will you never forget?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join