It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had enough of Stupid Comments and Baiting on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Why do people usually get angry when they hear something they do not like?

Either they feel they are being told something that they feel is a lie, and take it personally. Or have righteous indignation regarding what "they" feel is truth.

They have buttons that are being pushed and unknowingly you pushed one.

Or they have anger because they actually feel fear. Fear is often a response to something that rocks someone's reality or world.

There are a lot of challenges that surface anytime we attempt to rock the boat!

We have to develop a hard shell whenever we attempt to stand up for what we feel may be truth.

Hang in there!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
When you log on to a forum such as this; to expect everyone to abide to your standard of etiquette and decorum is foolish.

Its not foolish

Its expected

And having been a member here since 2005, you should know that as well as anyone else does.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Im just glad that there is BTS, which is now where I will spending most of my time thanks to the lack lustre quality on some (but thankfully not all) threads.

And to those members that act like adults and are capable of intelligent discussion on a variety of threads.....keep up the good work

And on behalf of the BTS welcome wagon we are glad to have you hanging out with us, Oz.

It's never a bad idea to step away from something that is really irritating us. I should know...I have kids. lol

Rush

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Does anyone else feel that what passes as flaming and attacks sounds alot like younger members who are used to posting in chatroom listings on other forums? The manner of speach takes the tone of locker room jargon and " your momma wears combat boots " type slurs. Very childish and totaly uncalled for. To disagree is one thing, to debate in a civil and informed manner is what gets results and some form of change in anothers thoughts. Not just to make yourself heard but to sway opinion takes tact and intelligence!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

When you log on to a forum such as this; to expect everyone to abide to your standard of etiquette and decorum is foolish.

Its not foolish

Its expected

And having been a member here since 2005, you should know that as well as anyone else does.

Well, I don't expect, with the variety of personalities, backgrounds and educational levels that everyone is going to be nice, nice and if they were I would find a forum where diversity of thought and expression was encouraged. You gotta accept the trailer trash along with the PHD's.

Banality sucks!!

It's the "edge" that makes ATS exciting and stimulating.
Personally I find the crybaby, thinskined whiners much more irritating than the stupid comments.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There are several actions you can take to avoid this. Here is what I try to do...

1. Pay no attention to it or answer it.

2. Repeated offender gets iggy

3. If it continues, through quotes, then I will report it.

4. If this still doesn't satisfy my sensitivities I guess I will not come back.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhc_70
There are several actions you can take to avoid this. Here is what I try to do...

1. Pay no attention to it or answer it.

2. Repeated offender gets iggy

3. If it continues, through quotes, then I will report it.

4. If this still doesn't satisfy my sensitivities I guess I will not come back.

Thats why I said Im going to be spending more time on BTS instead. I would report it if it breaks the T & C, but like I said many things like that just slip through as borderline breaches

Thanks though

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Well, I don't expect, with the variety of personalities, backgrounds and educational levels that everyone is going to be nice, nice and if they were I would find a forum where diversity of thought and expression was encouraged. You gotta accept the trailer trash along with the PHD's.

And again...someone else tries to link this to education.

Education has NOTHING whatsoever to do with manners and civil decorum, in fact some of the most humble and genuinely nice people I know don't have any qualifications at all.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
People are naturally sensitive Oz.
Thats why people make 'off the wall' comments and attack.

Its not personal - egoic comments never are personal...either side of the fence on any issue.

The ego is seeking to protect itself from the opposing view - regardless of which point that is. After all the ego is like the wind, here one minute...and gone the next...yet it wants a sense of feeling immortal.

Different view points are threatening to the ego.
It, again, either feels threatened...or frustrated. "Why do they not believe me??? Why do they not understand? This is important...", etc.

All the while it ignores the ultimate truth.

The biggest conspiracy is that there isnt a conspiracy of anything.

Life is a dancer and we are the dance, as Eckhart Tolle put it.

When we realize this, the ego is a tool we can use to enjoy this 'game of life'.
The conflicts, joys, etc. are all part of the simulation as it were.

Its easy to feel defensive...and easy to attack and not know we are even doing it.

The best we can do, if you want a real solution, is not to take it seriously.
There is an ignore button...but use the one in your mind.

Once you state your case, your not going to get anywhere with anyone who isnt already on the path to your belief system. And if you do get change...then its just on the egoic level - in which the ego is searching for a newer and stronger identity.
Kind of like the bit from Jesus when he said, "you make them twice the son of hell".

Why, what happened that Jesus said that?
Well, true change only happens within - and when you "go over land and see to win converts" as Jesus put it...you are using egoic logic and pointing to things lower than the truth...the stories which point beyond themselves to the greater truth.

Does this mean that the stories are evil? No they are what they are.
But do we identify with them? Then this is the issue.

In the long run, all is good. You state your case, and move on.
Otherwise, it just feeds the sillyness.

See, for someone to change, they have to first be open to your idea.
There are many sides to this. And when it comes down to 'earthly issues' (which dont matter past the grave), then its all a matter of perspective as to what is right and should be taken seriously.

Do you get spent your energy on topics like chemtrails?
Are you afraid that the world will not deny ignorance and become a darker place?
Our thoughts tend to help create the situation which we ponder and focus upon.

We project onto others, and situations that which we feel in ourselves...regardless if it is true or not from that opposite perspective.

For me, as I pointed out - using chemtrails as an example - in the end is it worth loss sleep? If one cannot proactively do anything either way (to prove or disprove it) what does it matter.

Again, for someone with my view point its easy.
Im pretty open and realize that whatever you dream is the limit.

The fact that planes do spray (like what I posted from the Hungarian holidays) means that the potential is there for it to spray anything. When people say (not saying you) that planes are incapable of spraying...thats like a struggling and grasping hope to try and debunk something.

The fact is, at this time, we wont be able to convince anyone either way.
Well, Im sure those involved in this already can hop back and forth between the fence, but it is as it is.

Either way - I go back to the theme of this whole post.
Dont let it bother you to much Oz.
As you know I believe that they may well be spraying - and I know you dont believe it - but thats not reason to build a wall between you and I. After all we share something deeper in common...are humanity.

I think the world would become a more peaceful place, quicker, if we could all take ourselves more likely and not have to try and prove someone wrong or right.

But then again, as I mentioned, the stories we have as a human race is like a thrill ride for most. Life would seem almost intolerably unbearable without a little drama.
However, as time passes you realize you can have the drama...but not be stuck in it.

If there is a conspiracy...then it is that someone has learned the above.
That its all a game, and therefore the sheep, who take the game as real, can be moved around quite easily. Is this evil? How can it be when we give our wills over to those to make decisions for us? (i.e., politics that go nowhere... except to let us complain. The ego loves, and mostly feeds of complaining.)

Take care...

Peace

dAlen

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

When I am out in the Real World, doing what it is I do, I have a friend that is homeless that visits where I volunteer. He has a 9th grade education and is one of the most kind and thoughtful individuals I have encountered in almost half a century.

On the other hand, I have a college professor that is one of the biggest JERKS in existence.

Education is not related to Courtesy and that is a fact.

Semper

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
On ATS, I have been called names, threatened with physical violence in U2U's, and I have never once put anyone on ignore or reported a T&C violation. Why? Because all you are, myself included, electrons in cyberspace, words on a monitor. If this in anyway affects you on a personal level; my heart goes out to you.

Uh, Oh that last phrase just negated my premise.

Nevermind....

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by headlightone

This looks like certain members applying elitist intellectual snobbery when a discussion argument forum doesnt slide in their direction.

If a Website is set up to cater for everyone then all creative educational classes of society will take part.The more the merrier.
I disagree with the Mods comments and find them very disappointing
Perhaps the founding fathers of ATS should of called the site UATS.
University Above Top Secret.
How about that Springer A Degree gets you ATS membership.

Are you feeling OK today headlightone? This is really not you, so out of character
Is something up ?

A University degree does not make us better than those that dont have it. It just means we studied something we found interesting to us at the time.

I too have noticed an increase in stupid comments, and this has lead me to post less, especially in threads were people are attacked for no reason.

The easiest thing to do is just avoid those threads all together, its very apparent early on if they are of this standard.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I personally find this to be representative of real world trends, and symptomatic of what's wrong with society today. Neither common decency nor common courtesy are common any more, and it seems as though the only respect is for superior power or physical might.

However, excusing such behavior because it's typical only condones and perpetuates it. I can tell you 15 different ways how you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about without resorting to insults or ridicule. I personally do not perceive that Oz has a problem with people disagreeing with him or offering opposing opinions, he has a problem with rudeness, disrespect, insults, and false accusations that amount to personal attacks. As he should, in my opinion. I certainly do.

ATS is not the street, and it's not the "hood." If people want to trash talk and make fun of people, there are plenty of places to do that other than ATS. If I want to hear that, I can go to lunch in the dining hall at work and listen to teenage boys come up with more clever insults than some I've seen on ATS.

I'm here to learn about things I can't learn from TV and the mass media, and hear different opinions on those subjects from people who know something about them. Insults and personal attacks don't teach me anything except that ignorance abounds everywhere, even here where we are supposedly denying it.

Making excuses for bad behavior because it's typical is just supporting and encouraging ignorance, in my opinion. Differing opinions and even passionate beliefs are to be expected in the venue of ATS. However, there's no reason they can't be expressed with basic courtesy and respect devoid of insult and malicious sarcasm. I suppose there's no reason that ATS has to be a sanctuary from that type of negativity, but it could be, and I will support anyone, member or mod, who encourages ATS to become that.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Unfortunately,following the old motto of 'Do not feed the Trolls' is leaving interesting discussions incomplete and unworthy of returning too.

Recent and valid threads have been inundated with insults,personal attacks and baiting.
Friendly attempts to encourage some of the new members to present the facts WITHOUT the attacks failed and therefore,for the sake of decorum,weren't revisited.

It's annoying on the part of the civil member to leave the discussion because of the inability to convince others of the need to keep it civil,it also leaves the attackers with the disillusioned impression they 'won the argument' as others were no longer willing to be attacked/baited any further.

As the ATS 'empire' grows (150,000 members now) it is inevitable that more people WILL clash on opinion,spur of the moment insults may fly,tempers will be tested.

For the sake of the board,and the privilege to air your opinions where they are read by thousands of people,I think the Mods should be more pro-active in handing out the warnings/bannings where repeated offences occur.

Yeah,everyone wants to be the 'nice guy'..BUT,if this trend continues ATS will simply become a place to read articles and submissions..NOT be a place where discussions are a pleasure to be part of.

History tells us Empires are destined to fall..from within or mis-management..the result is the same.

Expansion at the cost of quality is not acceptable,and leniency is affecting quality.

What is the target?
An extensive network incorporating quality?
Or a VAST network overflowing in places with raw sewage?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Never a more true word spoken or written, I have often come across arrogant, self indulgent, selfish sob's , and I promise you it has nothing whatsoever to do with a persons level of Education, although I've often witnessed the higher the education, the quicker people seem to become bored, so end up questioning the theories of others in an antagonistic way.

Almost like a manhood measuring contest, the more of a response they get, the more they wish to measure, in short they turn it into a one way pissing contest.

OZ it's easy for me to say ignore the antagonists, i wish i could practice what i preach, several times I've had to walk away for a break because of the same thing you speak of, I despise name calling, i just couldn't sit by and let it go sometimes, I'm firmly stuck on the idea, that no matter who you are, or what you post you have a right to civility.

Its fine people having different opinions, fantastic in fact, i love to read a good thread with different opinions, and people working together to find the truth.
I've said a few things i regret, but nothing like what is and has been happening recently.

Its when the names start appearing that gets my blood boiling, too many members, calling others fools, or idiots, oh and retards really kicks me off, it's when that happens you can see just how deep their understanding of whatever subject the threads are about, the more antagonistic the comment, the less the understanding.

Maybe we need a negative star to click on as well as a positive, then everyone could show their feelings without the daft comments? if there was a negative star, maybe some jets would be cooled, and everyone would know just what to expect from some people, some of these negative comments go unanswered, because there is no way for other members to show their dislike of what was said, without the need to flame anyone, a lot of members wont post because of what can happen, i think they need a voice, a negative star would give them the chance, points away for a negative star would be a good incentive to think before you BREACH.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

lol i made the same decision, im boycotting ATS for BTS untill after the US election, after that i might come back if the majority of troublemakers have disappeared or just stay on BTS, but then the whole election thing seems to have infected BTS also just not to such a degree.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Hey Oz. You know you have many here who support you and are very grateful for the knowledge you provide us

I too got sick of the very same things you are talking about and sick of being called names myself and watching you my friend being wrongfully attacked, etc. So I made myself completely stay away from those kinds of threads
It has worked wonders!

You don't have to completely go away to BTS....there are still lots of other places to visit on ATS

Hang in there!

[edit on 9/7/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

On ATS, I have been called names, threatened with physical violence in U2U's, and I have never once put anyone on ignore or reported a T&C violation. Why? Because all you are, myself included, electrons in cyberspace, words on a monitor. If this in anyway affects you on a personal level; my heart goes out to you.

Uh, Oh that last phrase just negated my premise.

Nevermind....

Well. You have to take into account that not everyone views others as just screen names here. People connect and become friends on here. There really are people behind the names. However, with that said, you really do have to take everything with a grain of salt...and ignore the bozos (the nicest word I can say within T&C)

The real problem is, the obnoxious trolls and baiters become ANNOYING and can make a "fun" experience here just a pain in the arse. When some people really care about a topic and want to discuss then you have some (insert not allowed T&C word here) comes in and ruins the experience...well, makes you not want to hang around. Its not necessarily a personal issue - like boohoo my feelings are hurt. IMHO

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I second Greeneyedleo's point of view. You have a lot of people who really enjoy reading your posts. I dont happen to know, er, well anything really about chemtrails or some of the things you post about, so I dont add my two cents, but I do enjoy your writing style, and your knowledge.

I am really sorry you are getting baited, and you are right, it does just seem mean spirited for no good reason.

Just try to be Zen with it, be a duck and let them be a drop of water rolling off your back. Baiting is a game. It is only fun if it gets a rise. Just report it to the mods if it persists in one of your threads and let them deal with it, dont waste your breath, err, ink, errr, code? on them.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Hi Oz,
If someone submits a caustic insult or some diatribe to derail the thread,
just -

thank you for your insightful contribution to the thread

- and say no more! (I'm sure the mod's would forgive this 'one liner')

That really hacks them off, they either 'back off' or come on stronger to the point where the moderators can get medieval on them!

Chin up fella,

H

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Havalon]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join