It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had enough of Stupid Comments and Baiting on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
First of all I am, putting this here in the board section to show Im not trolling for points. Secondly I would just like to say that I have had enough of the childish comments on ATS. Lately it seems like these comments are on every thread. For the most part they seem to slip under the mod radar as they do not technically breach the ATS T&C, but myself and others (that I know of) still find them annoying and they often detract from the original topic of the thread

I hops this is ok, but I would like to put forward a few examples, posters names removed of course

Where are the weather "experts" to debunk this one.
I would like to see what kind of lies they have cooked up for this one.
Oz? Essan? Anyone?

Now is this really necessary? Its on a thread about chemtrails, but I fail to see the why the poster felt they had the need to post this. For the posters information, after that comment I will not bother to follow the thread after that remark. In my opinion its seems like a bait to start a flaming match

I am not here even debating chemtrails anymore, I am dragging your disinfo, premeditated or not, into the open, something I expect a lot of people, except perhaps yourself, have realised.

A mod pulled this member up, but its another comment that I thought was not needed to be said (sorry bout the chemtrails things they are from my threads)

it's clear you must be also a member of CSICOP trying to promote these two guys. So far your thread has'nt tell anything new on the countrary you are again repeating the same old vinyl record from the past so why don't you go back to your CSICOP paradise and update yourself on this case to present a decent post.

And then there was this....I had no idea what this member was going on about...I have never heard of CSICOP. It was way off topic yet, I still dont understand why this memeber had to type it. I am assuming it was an attempt at baiting

Its a shame to see this kind of garbage polluting threads, and people acting like pig .ed 13 year olds, here to cause nothing but trouble. I mean its fine to disagree with threads, but save the ridiculous comments for other places and stop saying that anyone that disagrees is a liar, disinfo agent, troll or ignorant.

Im just glad that there is BTS, which is now where I will spending most of my time thanks to the lack lustre quality on some (but thankfully not all) threads.

And to those members that act like adults and are capable of intelligent discussion on a variety of threads.....keep up the good work

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I think you answered your own inquery...they do it to stirr up trouble or flamewars.

I have heard of CSICOP before, on many other forums. Usually that is sort of a key word, like in a search engine, it brings up a ton of useless pages below the most important link.

Cheers!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Well there is an easy way out of this...

DON'T LOG ONTO ATS.

If you are not prepared for any critique by fellow members then you should not be here.

This place is a realm for discussion, research, transference of ideas, just because it doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean that everyone is mentaly un-fit.

What is wrong with you????

Fox.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by fox_3000au
Well there is an easy way out of this...

DON'T LOG ONTO ATS.

Like I said in the OP, I will be spending more time on BTS.....did you actually read it properly?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I didn't even need too read your post in its' entirety..have you read the terms and conditions in regards too quoteing posts above your own??

Seems' too me someone has yanked your chain.

Fox.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Oz, as you can pretty easily see "discussion and debate" falls inline with "insults and derision."
Both sides of the debate, believers and skeptics fall victim to it, and they'll defend their rights to criticize and make fools of themselves, darn all else.
It's a conspiracy site, you'll get a bit of reasond debate, but the majority of it's just going to be bull scraped from one thread to another,that people have heard, or read, or believed.
And then they'll insult you when you actually do try to debate them.
It's how it goes here. I mean, we have threads about aliens, ghosts, magic invisible planets and gnomes, Much as I hate to say it, it's kind of pointless to take the site to seriously.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by fox_3000au
this place is a realm for discussion, research, transference of ideas, just because it doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean that everyone is mentaly un-fit.

What is wrong with you????

Fox.

"This place" is a realm for discussion, research and transference of ideas in a civilised manner. Not one where people resort to sneaky ad-hominem attacks because someone elses viewpoint doesn't agree with theres, or try and twist a post into something that wasn't said.

Oz did not say anywhere in his post that anyone was mentally un-fit. You put words into his mouth there.

I'll remind you of this, from the Terms and Conditions

1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Oz's opinion - in fact I'll go so far as to agree with him that there is far far too much ad-hominem stuff sneaking back into posts, and its uncalled for.

Calling someone a troll, disinfo agent, paid poster or even CSICOP member solely because they disagree with your opinion is not how we do things on ATS. All it really shows is a lack conviction in the argument of the person who uses it.

Likewise, telling people to stop posting because they expect some civility in their discussion and don't want to be bombarded by petty insults most certainly is NOT the ATS way of doing something either.

[edit on 7/0908/08 by neformore]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Monseur Oz I refer you to my signature.
We dont want everyone worshipping your every word, in time you would become an Ego monster.
human polarity is very healthy in the right conditions..
You deserve a flame unfortunately.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Good grief, Oz. I took the time to look up some of your latest posts and you really have been getting needlessly attacked.

I don't agree with much of your chemtrail conclusions but that doesn't mean you need to be run out of the threads with insults, baiting and attacks.

I'm sorry you have been singled out for bullying. Not all of your detractors are hostile. Please accept my apologies for the trollish behavior of some of my fellow posters.

You have as much right to be on ATS as any member and your educated opinion is appreciated and welcome by some of us. Please continue to share your thoughts on subjects that are near and dear to your heart and don't be discouraged by the rude and immature.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
There are ways to disagree with someone, and not resort to childish banter.

I agree completely with OZ's sentiments.

As an overwhelming general rule ATS is full of intellectuals searching for the truth and debating topics of personal and general interest. There are a few however that can not engage in this for whatever reason and so resort to "Flaming", "Name Calling" and other ad-hominem attacks.

While we mostly recognize them for what and who they are, frequently they manage to disrupt a perfectly interesting thread before their actions can be curtailed.

Trolls

And what is the best way to make Trolls go away?

Just don't feed them

Semper

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Anywhere people gather, you'll always find a few that really irritate. That's normal. ATS is no different.

Just ignore the posts that bother you. Those that are ignored will eventually go away if no one is paying attention to them.

And if someone feels "baited," remember that you have a choice whether to react.

Bait only works if someone takes it.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Dont feed the trolls is this the new ATS Slogan
link

www.salagir.com...

This looks like certain members applying elitist intellectual snobbery when a discussion argument forum doesnt slide in their direction.

If a Website is set up to cater for everyone then all creative educational classes of society will take part.The more the merrier.
I disagree with the Mods comments and find them very disappointing
Perhaps the founding fathers of ATS should of called the site UATS.
University Above Top Secret.
How about that Springer A Degree gets you ATS membership.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by .lightone

There's a difference between snobbery and offering a opinion that you've earned. There are many people on ATS who have first hand knowledge on both sides of arguements and manage to hold conversations without insulting each other.
Well, y'know, aside from the Politics forum, but that's why it's seperate.
You're calling it snobbery, but OzWeatherman has been to school, taken the classes associated with, and actually has a job working with the weather. So y'know, maybe his opinion counts for something.
And it's a given, when people hear something contrary to what they want to hear, they red icoul the source.
Occasionally we have flare ups here where the word disinfo agent gets tossed around. These label are attached to people who are actually in a position to know what they're talking about, trying to deny ignorance. Or at east that's my take, but what do I know, I'm just a arachnid

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by .lightone
This looks like certain members applying elitist intellectual snobbery when a discussion argument forum doesnt slide in their direction.

There is no excuse for not being polite to people and treating them with respect.

Its really that simple.

This has nothing to do with snobbery, or "elitism", or educational background.

What is being discussed is something that each individual poster who joins this site actually agreed to do so by accepting the site terms and conditions.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

How do you know these so called experts didnt just flunk every class.
A leap of faith is taken with most of ATS anonymous members their credentials dont mean diddly squat to me.
All I believe in is the truth being exposed and ALL the people contributing in their own way.
A forum needs all types of input.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by .lightone

Generally someones posts will speak much more than their supposed credentials. Oz. like many on ATS, are able to show strong arguements, back it up with good logic and understanding.
As for all types of input, I disagree. There's a lot of nonsense here, and name calling is not going to help sort it out. A lot of people are looking very hard for the truth. Sometimes, it seems, they are trying so hard they pass right by it.
People should by judged by their actions. Oz has shown himself to be a decent source of information on weather, and as such his opinion should be respected.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
When you log on to a forum such as this; to expect everyone to abide to your standard of etiquette and decorum is foolish. Oz, become a mod if you want control otherwise "if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch"!!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

OZ I am just here to tell you just ignore them, I may not seem to connect with you openly but always enjoy your stuff, I really do just skip over the crazies that try to derail your threads and comments.

Peace man

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

OZ I am just here to tell you just ignore them

I'd second that

But I know it's not easy (how do you have a reasoned discussion with someone who puts you on ignore for presenting detailed evidence they don't like?)

I'm sure the majority of people reading threads do not themselves contribute. They read them to gain information and opinions. And they can tell who is presenting a valid argument and who is not. These are the people we need to be writing for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join