It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Data on 5,000 justice staff lost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Data on 5,000 justice staff lost

news.bbc.co.uk

A portable hard drive holding details of up to 5,000 employees of the justice system including prison staff has been lost, the government has confirmed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
This kind of headline seems to be becoming common place here in the U.K and on this occasion especially the damage that could be done if this data was in the wrong hands could be devastating. Incompetence at the highest order. The government couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery I tell you.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This is a ploy of sorts. It has to be.

How many stories has Britain had recently regarding lost 'sensitive information'?

That many unrelated instances couldn't have been that irresponsible.

Smells wrong and I want to know what is going on...what are they trying to do with these stories?

Undermine confindence in the government? To what end?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
That did go through my mind, there's the slim possibility that it could be a rival party playing dirty to make the government look incompetent. It really does seem odd how often it's happened though and you are right about something not being quite right.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

sadly its nothing shocking

the goverment and companies are careless with data
and the funny part is under the dataprotection act we are suppose to feal secure that information is kept secure,

just another day for an imcomputant group of people who cant do their job correct

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
How many stories has Britain had recently regarding lost 'sensitive information'?

That many unrelated instances couldn't have been that irresponsible.

Obviously, the same is true in the US.

Frankly, I think it's a real indication of the number of places your personal identifying information is held. When you consider both private and government locations, the instances we read about barely scratch the surface of the number of places where potential breeches might occur.

In fact, privacy protection isn't really taken seriously anywhere. That wont change until we start incarcerating people who are responsible for these types of criminally negligent breeches.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This is only the stuff we've been told about, I bet there's more that's been hushed.

-from the linked article-

Nov 2007: 25m people's child benefit details, held on two discs
Dec 2007: 7,685 Northern Ireland drivers' details
Dec 2007: 3m learner drivers' details lost in US
Jan 2008: 600,000 people's details lost on Navy officer's stolen laptop
June 2008: Six laptops holding 20,000 patients' details stolen from hospital
July 2008: MoD reveals 658 laptops stolen in four years

new topics

top topics

join