It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did McCain vote Yes on the Akaka bill along with Obama?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Theres no double standard!!!!! The media wont cover it cause McCain voted YES ON IT AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 6-9-2008 by bknapple32]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Dronetek, I am not blaming you on that. I was just stating what I read.

About the double standard, Many of us are guilty of posting threads to prove a double standard.

bknapple32- When did McCain voted yes. As far as I can tell it was referred to committee. Sometimes this is a tactic to table or end a bill.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by jam321]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Jam, this should help... Scroll down to the bottom...

McCain voted yes

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
reply to post by jamie83

Jamie, what do you think about it? Either McCain was in favor of this, in which case all arguments saying Obama favors succession are null. Or McCain voted yes when he wasn't even for the bill.. Politics as usual? What do you think?

I just started reading about the details today.

First, I know that nobody voted in favor of Hawaii or Alaska leaving the U.S. All those threads about Palin and Obama, and AIP, etc., seemed silly to me.

And I do know that the Senate is an odd institution with much emphasis placed on protocol, tradition, and rules of order. I'm pretty sure that's not the right terminology, but it's late here and I think you'll get what I mean.

Either McCain believed the native Hawaiins should have their own government, or he voted YES out of courtesy knowing the vote wouldn't pass, or he made a deal to vote YES on this in exchange for something else.

I have no idea what the real explanation is so I won't even guess.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
yes he voted yes also. But did you read this in the same article

Organized in caucus beforehand, some Republicans who knew they would kill the cloture vote, cast their ballot in favor of the Akaka Bill because they either served on the Senate Appropriations Committee with Inouye, the co-chair, and wanted to show him the courtesy, or because they’d traded their vote with Inouye in previous sessions.

source

I think you and Dronetek have both tried hard to make your points. I am sure you guys could find a middle ground on this. It seems to me that the Republicans were not going to allow this bill to pass. And the segment above could be a reason McCain voted yes on something he knew wouldn't pass.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join