It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So civility and decorum are gone in 08? Changes are in order

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Discourse IS.

When you allude to "raising the level of discourse", don't you really mean "changing the discourse more to your liking"

?

Way too many of these "oh, woe is me! the threads are not to my liking" threads lately.

But keep posting them, even though they accomplish nothing.

After all, discourse IS.

And far be it from me to rain on your personal parade.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Originally posted by SectionEight

No, if foxnews was unfair it would not have the most viewers, plain and simple.

Well if that is the case what is your theory as to why you have five people on your friends list and thirteen that have made you they're foe?

Look into the mirror and ask yourself why that is.

Totally uncool. What was the topic we were supposed to be discussing? Civility?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
reply to post by Backwoods

The only way to see if this post owrks, is if the threads start engaging positive discourse, or more of the same.

this whole flag thing is not helping. Cause honestly, its either a major bad on one of the sides. And who is going to admit their side is wrong, esp when its he said she said?

The flags were left over be the dems... FACT.

The dems had some sort of plan for the bundles of their flags... Their story

The repubs found the flags.... FACT

The repubs are using this as a political ploy against the dems.. FACT

The dems deserve it? NO says the dems, yes says the repubs...

A big fight that wont be solved. This wont help the board... Perhaps the mods can split the decision 08 board in two...

One fore debate with sources and facts.... And one for rumor that may or may not be true...? A skunk works for decision 08 per say.....

Ok since you seem to be talking to me here I will ask WTF?
I suppose it can be done. Count up all the slurs and insults in modern politics or at least on ATS and see who is insulting who more.
But you know what it does not matter. The Repubs think they are even and the Dems think they are one behind.... And the reverse is true. I am not sure what the flags you are talking about. I am guessing it is an ATS post. Again I don't really know as I did not read it.
And no to be truthful what it takes is to stop counting score.
It will not be easy and it will not be quick.
But if you REALLY want to get there. That is step one.
Otherwise it is the holy land all over again.
Both sides no longer have any idea who started it.
But it won't stop till someone stops counting score.
What it comes down to is how bad do you want to stop it?
Look don't get me wrong it is the ONLY idea. And if it does not happen and I mean soon it will be to late.
On the small scale here at ATS I don't see it happening unless the mods MAKE it happen. And the same goes for the larger picture.
You think you have seen dirty now? You aint seen anything till they start offing people. If you really think that is far fetched I got news for you it happens other places all the time. The close cousin to that is denying the results of a vote. What do you think would happen if either one were to say "The vote was forged and we are not going to take it, arm for war."
And people are so them us now a days that THEY WOULD DO IT!!!!
I mean how many times RECENTLY has a vote count come to arms?
Personally I think all yall are nuts and dangerous to boot. (Large scale not just looking at ATS) That is why I am happily getting lost in flyover country. Nice big field stone walls and totally self supporting.
Because there are not any mods in real life. And I don't think there is a chance that it will work.
But to each their own.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Deep down, after all the attacks, we know in our hearts, these are just two Americans putting themselves and their family out there in the public light to be trashed, because, as any great patriot, they want to make their country better.

Are you serious, what are you even doing posting here.

This is one of the most ridicules statements I have read on ATS.

Go away and do some reading , watch a few credible documentaries on the real history of American politics , then come back and say that BS

99% of the people on ATS have no idea.

here is one to get you started

www.amazon.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Obama and McCain are humans, like all other humans on the Globe

Not only before voting-time but quite often, politics or better said differences in politic choice, are the start of the most afwul, disrespectful debates.

Till about 12 - 15 years or so, it was still uncommon in Europe to use the the dirt-digging and mud-trowing to attack politic candidates personally. The media plays a bigger and bigger role in this disgracing opponents.
Europe is getting more and more like the US now when the ' votes-battle' begins.

That's the main reason why I do not believe in the ' so called' democratic way of practicising politics of the 21st Century. It looks so democratic but it's turning into an idividual image-cult of politicians.

If ppl start to see that the whole Globe is but 1 giant ' being' and then take their own responsiblity for themselves and others, politics as we know it nowadays wudn't be necessary anymore.

[edit on 9/7/2008 by Melyanna Tengwesta]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There is a new thread on this topic one every few weeks...

Didn't SO just make one?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Awwww. I was enjoying the mudslinging and bile. Lol.

I like to watch a good fight, and the more rabid, errrrrr, passionate the participants are in the fight the more amusing it is.

However, I suppose it is in the best interests of peace on Earth, good will to people for the political bickering to stop.

If the truce fails, though, I am looking forward to the Obama and Palin had an affair and are members of the illuminati who secretly plan to take over the world one baby at a time thread.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tombangelta

I know it must be fun and make the world seem that much more interesting to think ''they'' are all in on it. But life isnt an oliver stone movie. Sure I have my doubts... Do I think we know everything about what happened on 9/11, no way.

But I do know that not everything about American politics is some sort of vast conspiracy, where its us and them out to get us. If that was so, dont you think another Clinton would be going to the white house?

Wheres this martial law Bush was supposed to create to keep his term going?

You come on and lambaste me because you have convinced yourself the world is a conspiracy, and I think we have two patriots trying to better our country.... Must be sad to live in a world where theres no truth. Glad I dont live in the same one....

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiote
Discourse IS.

When you allude to "raising the level of discourse", don't you really mean "changing the discourse more to your liking"

?

Way too many of these "oh, woe is me! the threads are not to my liking" threads lately.

But keep posting them, even though they accomplish nothing.

After all, discourse IS.

And far be it from me to rain on your personal parade.

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

Sorry sir, this isnt about me, its about ATS. But selfish thinking from a selfish mind says a lot about a person... I wont say anymore... this isnt the thread for that... If you don't want to help, then simply dont help... no one is forcing you.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
McCain dont want war? I remember back before the Bush election... did anyone think Bush would completely destroy the US back then? Look at what he has done now.

I dont think there is any way we can make a informed choice about the candidates, because they are both putting up acts. I think Obama is less likely to start new conflicts. McCain has the typical cowboy attitude which has killed hundreds of thousands under the Bush regime.

I think the US needs a leader that knows how to listen and take care of its people without being a arrogant idiot on the world scene. Will any of the candidates do that? I very much doubt it.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

If you REALLY don't think "they"..and I DO mean the Illuminati...look at the back of your American dollar bill, there are codes ALL over the thing. Here's the FIRST of a 200 part series on the Illuminati where GOD really does mean Gold, Oil, Drugs.

ie.youtube.com...

Now I REALLY doubt anyone here, including you, will have the patience and personal resolve to LISTEN and WATCH all 200. I did AND I recorded all 200 just in case things 'disappear" from the internet. Stuff people in charge don't like don't last too long on the internet sometimes.

See here for a WHOLE website that was up about "The Secret History of the USA"...it was eventually GONE...luckily I was making an intranet site for my CCC classes which did NOT have individual web access for each studen desk, only the teacher's desk had access. But I saved MUCH of it, and ALL the information has VERIFIABLE independant sources a university library should for folks to FACT CHECK...maybe that FactCheck website would like to go through it...I sent them the videos I posted and ASKED then to FACTCHECK.ORG it and the Publish the results...we'll see.

itmt..here is "The Secret history of the USA" which I was able to save:

commonsensecentral.net...

Also...I was not "lambasting" you for your views of the world. Each person makes their OWN reality, especially if one studies metaphysics and string theory. Our brains are simply electrons moving across the "holes" of our minds. One spark from one neuron to another neuron across the synapse (hole) in our brains. When one TRULY understands this then the mass media "manipulation" we see in the advertising and mass media news becomes clearer for the "manipulation" that it is.

As another poster ointed out...we CANNOT trust what our candidates say BEFORE an election we can only judge their ACTIONS after an election.

Remeber King Georgie Jr. said he was NOT a "nation builder"...???

What did his ACTIONS reveal? That he was lying from the get-go.

As for the "martial law" thingy...November 4th STILL has not happened yet. I really really hope I and so many other thinking there will be no elections are wrong...I REALLY do. We can only move forward, eyes and mind wide open and free from the mainstream "influances" by actively informing ourselves of HISTORY.

Because unfortunately history DOES repeat itself because while WE as individuals may learn from our mistakes...those in control only re-evaluate tactics and continue for the "New World Order".

And Clinton was JUST as bad in that regard as the Bushes signing an executive order keeping Area 51 workers' chemical exposure records from their doctors because so many were dying and the physicians were finding unknown substance NOT on the "published" periodical table of elements. So he put secrecy over workers lives. I am NOT a fan of his either.

falme for Clinton and Bushes not YOU....

Cheers

Bob...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This is the story of two people.

One is a low-life coward. He sits anonymously behind his keyboard furiously typing insults directed at people he's never met.

The other is a person of dignity, self-respect, and character. He treats strangers with respect and kindness even when it's not required.

You get to choose which person you want to be. And the funny thing is we've all been both. Decide for yourself which makes you feel better.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

Learn to spell. Your post makes no sense.
Less time starting fights, more time learning to spell!
That can be your way of making America better!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by blahblah123

Learn to spell. Your post makes no sense.
Less time starting fights, more time learning to spell!
That can be your way of making America better!

Nuttin moe iritatin den da grammar nazis

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Nothing is more irritating than people who think they need to "improve" the English language with ghetto slang and ebonics. It's lasted a long time on its own, it doesn't need your help.

I like how people confronted about bad spelling and grammar make it into a joke. It's becoming an epidemic in this country because of it.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahblah123

Nothing is more irritating than people who think they need to "improve" the English language with ghetto slang and ebonics. It's lasted a long time on its own, it doesn't need your help.

I like how people confronted about bad spelling and grammar make it into a joke. It's becoming an epidemic in this country because of it.

I agree. pretty sad.

And a scary trend

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
with SO's new crackdown, I would hope people follow his leadership now more than ever. Hopefully this post can serve as a crutch to SO's message.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join