It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So civility and decorum are gone in 08? Changes are in order

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Who says they don't? It just so happens they are counterbalanced by the equally angry right. To say one fringe is anymore guilty than the other fringe would be to deny the reality of the situation.

Keeping the exchanges civil would go a long way towards negating both fringes anger. We can do this if we truely want to.

Do we?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 9/6/2008 by seagull]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'm not sure that SectionEight's post applies to this topic at all. This entire thread was based on the idea that we need to move away from this very sort of hatred.

In fact, SectionEight was just completely snipped in another topic not 20 minutes ago for this exact same sort of hatred.

Anyhow, this is a good thread, bk. Starred Flagged.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
I'm not sure that SectionEight's post applies to this topic at all. This entire thread was based on the idea that we need to move away from this very sort of hatred.

I think SectionEight's posts give us a great opportunity to define standards.

There is a big difference between saying the angry left hate america exists out in the world and accusing somebody here of being part of it.

People can bash Bush as a neocon or nazi, but when a member sides with Bush it's not cool to call the member a neocon or nazi.

Make sense?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

You cannot have an equal debate because of the angry left. Every major media news outlet and tabloid checkout counter rag bombards public opinion continually with an endless supply of backing. The Right has a couple radio show hosts. The angry left wants all the power or nothing, no compromise which is why they do not care if current candidates are rejected because of their agenda. They just gear up for the next one and eventually they will attain their goal. If they don't get there with Obama and destroy him in the process they will be harder and more relentless next cycle.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Let me say that I agree that things get a little heated here on occassion. But you should have been here when Ronald Reagan died. The awful things that were said in that thread had me spinning with disbelief. ATS was a different animal back then, and maybe part of it was because I was a newbie, but I was flabbergasted by the venom spilled here. Today is like a church fair in comparison.

Just adding some historical perspective.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

A couple of radio talk hosts? A couple implies less than say three...just off the top of my head I can think of a half dozen national hosts, much less the more regional hosts in various large cities...the right dominates that venue, and you know it...

Yet no one says you have to listen, or in the case of the tabloids read. It's up to us to wake these sorts up to the reality, and we can only do that if we are able to keep their attention, that mean civil discourse with out resorting to name calling or derogatory comments. Simple, corteous truth is the answer...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Seagull... any chance we can close down the Obama wants Hawaii to succeed from the U.S thread. I pretty much ended the debate by showing the McCain voted with Obama on the bill...

As for the media being far angry left... Foxnews?? Um thats very Right. Iwould say its polar counterpart is MSNBC. Both are equally left and right respectively.

I'd say CNN is less left and closer to moderate. As for the radio.... the left as air america and Howard Stern. the right has Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, bill O reilly, Mark Levin, Macheal Savage all with national shows.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Foxnews has the most viewers, far outnumbering CNN. Either you believe the right is a huge majority in this country or CNN by being the most balanced can't find more viewers. Both are preposterous. Fox is the only channel that has both views, Hannity is opposite of Colmes but angry lefters only point out that Hannity is on the show. The viewership numbers do not lie, Fox is in fact more balanced than CNN.

Who did Obama pick to do his interview during McCains exception speach? It was the prime time exclusive keyhole spot for Obama and Fox news got it.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by SectionEight]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
Foxnews has the most viewers, far outnumbering CNN. Either you believe the right is a huge majority in this country or CNN by being the most balanced can't find more viewers. Both are preposterous. Fox is the only channel that has both views, Hannity is opposite of Colmes but angry lefters only point out that Hannity is on the show. The viewership numbers do not lie, Fox is in fact more balanced than CNN.

Oh come on, Fox is more balanced than CNN because of Viewers? Preposterous. Colmes is the worst representation of the left I have ever seen. And thats one show. How bout the rest? O Reilly? Brit Hume? Grett Van Sustren? Ann Coulter s a guest all the time..

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

Originally posted by SectionEight

Oh come on, Fox is more balanced than CNN because of Viewers? Preposterous. Colmes is the worst representation of the left I have ever seen. And thats one show. How bout the rest? O Reilly? Brit Hume? Grett Van Sustren? Ann Coulter s a guest all the time..

Fox is the most powerful news station in america because they have the most viewers, are you theorizing that there are more republicans than dems in this country? They garner the most viewers by being blatantly right wing? Is that what you are saying? Or perhaps the undecideds middle of the road people view fox news more than others, where are they getting the viewers from?
Everytime they present the other side of the story, the angry left rears up and shouts how biased fox is. How dare they show the other side of the story when nobody else is hey?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Thats like saying that because Titanic made the most money ever it is the best movie ever.

CNN actually had the most viewers for the DNC.

I would say more republicans watch FOX and Dems split between CNN and MSNBC, and then there are some who simply just dont watch Cable news.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Thats like saying that because Titanic made the most money ever it is the best movie ever.

I would say more republicans watch FOX and Dems split between CNN and MSNBC, and then there are some who simply just dont watch Cable news.

No, if foxnews was unfair it would not have the most viewers, plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I must say good intentions on this thread. But I have seen threads like this before, remember the pledge, where many agree to be nice and within a week it is back to slandering the candidates.

I think change comes from within. You will still have new and old people who will post a thread full of trash. But ignoring these threads will sink them.

As of now when one sees a thread that is thrashing their candidate one is quick to jump in and defend their candidate. Next thing you know everybody is putting in their 2 cents. If you notice real issues threads get one or two comments and then it is adios to the 2nd page and beyond.

Like I said you have good intentions, wish you the best.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

You would be wrong. This Pew study found that Fox has the most balanced demographics.

politicalwire.com...

CNN: 51% Democrats, 18% Republicans, 23% independents

MSNBC: 45% Democrats, 18% Republicans, 27% independents

Fox News: 33% Democrats, 39% Republicans, 22% independents

As far as people changing their attitudes, its a two way street. Its all, "do as I say, not as I do" around here. There needs to be some recognition that the right wingers are at a disadvantage when its comes to the forums and media. Until than, there will continue to be animosity.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
There needs to be some recognition that the right wingers are at a disadvantage when its comes to the forums and media. Until than, there will continue to be animosity.

Oh, give it a rest.

There is sufficient bloviating from both sides.

Complaining about 'disadvantages' is a liberal concept, remember?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or bang my head against this desk after seeing the replies by SectionEight. In a thread created with the intention of reconciling both liberal and conservative ATS users, SectionEight somehow finds it appropriate to continue partisan rhetoric.

It is absolutely fine if you (this is a general "you") believe that your political party is at a disadvantage on ATS, or that your party can claim the moral highground, or any other partisan argument you feel to be factual, but reserve those discussions for threads to which they are pertinent. This thread was not opened to discuss any particular contentious topic. It was ostensibly created to address the vicious partisan behavior occurring on ATS with great frequency. OP--correct me if I'm wrong here.

How unfortunate it is that this thread is being willingly turned into another argumentative, mud-slinging thread.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Complaining about 'disadvantages' is a liberal concept, remember?

Ok, I'll give you that..

That doesn't mean there shouldn't be some realization that our media is dominated by a left wing agenda.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

In your dreams our media is so conservative it's stifling. Charlie Rose is your liberal media boogeyman, and he doesn't control much of anything other than the Charlie Rose show

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
That doesn't mean there shouldn't be some realization that our media is dominated by a left wing agenda.

I don't think you've considered all of the possibilities deeply enough. The media's agenda is a commercial one. It's biases are really designed to sell product. (I'm not vilifying that. I'm just pointing out the obvious.)

Viewed from that vantage point, the proper realization is to do your own homework and draw your own conclusions about nearly everything you hear or read.

My $0.02.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Ok as someone that is new I have noticed that a lot of back and forth is allowed here. And for a lot of people passion over rides reason.
But this is also a problem with the country at large. It seems that both (or more) sides have stopped listening to the other. They focus on their objectives and ignore anything else. Even if something should be done vs. can it be done. So many people seem determined that there way will prevail that they don't consider the longer term consequences of how they get it. "Lets just trim this bit of fat off the constitution." It spills over here and into their whole life. In one forum a poster was bragging about seeing someone that had a flat tire. They were going to pull over and help until they saw a bumper sticker for the other side on the car. Historically this kind of pressure is what splits most democracys apart in about 200 years.
Politeness is a start but where do you go from there?
Even though we are a constitutional republic instead of a democracy the US is getting there.
Food for thought.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join