It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama will actually vote to "help" Hawaii split from the US.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

"The majority of Hawaiians live in poverty". There are a lot but not the majority. The minimum wage may be higher here in this state but things are really really expensive here, we do have the highest gas prices. In Hawaii, we are unfortunate to not have the privilages as to where LA or New York does to make the income that people do there, it's not the people of Hawaii's fault, it's due to our location. My dad makes more than the average amount of money that people make and we aren't sailing through life. A lot of people would love to live in Hawaii, but a lot wouldn't be able to afford it and would probably live in poverty. Heck, it's even expensive to vacation here.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hawaiigurl

The Akaka Bill is not there to split Hawaii from the US, it's there for Hawaii to become a nation within a nation.

I never said this bill was. I quoted the Alaskan Governor saying that this bill was the first step in splitting Hawaii from the US.

Originally posted by bknapple32
Guys, its a moot point. Mccain voted for the SAME bill

As was shown earlier, it was a courtesy vote to people those Republicans had worked with. They only voted yes, because they already had the bill killed. Obama actually believed in the bill.

You missed the point of this thread anyway. It was simply posted as an example of the media focusing attention on the Republican, but not the democrat. Are you saying going after Palin was legitimate?

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Why should they touch it, it would be ignorant to do that. They would be able to cover the story but it wouldn't be right of them to make any comments about it. What would they say, oh, since we took the land for the Hawaiians they want to make this bill so they can get some of their land back. If the media covered this story, and said one bad thing about it, there would be an outrage, Hawaiians all over the world would be writing and calling in to give their two cents.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

The article isn't about Hawaiians who dont like people who live in the mainland. The Paakaula family is a friend of mine, whose father and brother this article is related too. We just don't like it when tourist come to Hawaii and start being racist and think they "own" us, it all comes back to the overthrow. The Paakaula family is a very nice, giving and smart family. The article has protrayed this family as being racist to haole's, where in fact they were racist to them. Don't think everything you read is correct.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
McCain making yes votes on a bill he doesnt even support, aw well as it that means a lot to those who worked hard making it.......

Is politics as usual....

Certainly not what I am hearing from the straight talk express.

End result, he still voted yes along with Obama on this bill.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by bknapple32]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

The palace is actually Queen Liliuokalani's palace, where the overthrow happened and where she was hostage in her own home. If anyone ever gets a chance to go there, it is almost as beautiful as the Hearst Castle (in its own way).

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

(Raises hand), native Hawaiian here. I'm not sure where you are getting at with the government check thing. But if you are saying that the Akaka Bill is there to act in sort of a welfare program then you are wrong. The organizations that are in place (OHA) (Kau Inoa) are helping people and are not just giving away free money. We are slowly building and just want to be recognized for it.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Its not a Republican, Democratic issue. Its a Hawaiian issue. I'm not sure why Palin wanted to split Alaska from the US, but the Akaka Bill is not the same thing. We do not want to split!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

"this is the first step in a succession from the US" it doesn't mean from splitting from the US. It means it is the first step for the people of Hawaii (that want to be a part of it) to be a part of a nation within a nation.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

Thank you, just thank you. You have put it into better words that I could have ever done.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Once again, if this goes through, we will still be a state. We will just be a nation within a nation.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR

The media hasn't touched this in relation to Obama because it is a non-issue. This is a matter of what is right. If anything, media attention on this story would shine light on Obama in a positive way.

this is how it is going to be until election time....republicans make up issues that they hope the democrats will have to constantly defend. this keeps the democrats from playing offense and attacking mccain...old trick used in 2000 and 2004. i say attacking everything the republicans say is the way to go. and as far as dirty politics goes, you have to get down in the mud to fight pigs. attack the psuedo-religious beliefs, their hypocritical patriotism, their class warfare, and especially the moose-hunter from alaska. have her prove everything she says she has done and the hell with her whining about protecting her family...she playing in the big leagues now and she is fair game. attack the republicans constantly and when they are down, keep kicking them in the head. don't let their whiny cries of outrage stop you, because it never stopped them.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

McCain making yes votes on a bill he doesnt even support

Just some more proof that McCain will bring four more years of the same.....I mean the guy votes on bills he DOESN'T EVEN support...
And I can see Palin now (with her warped, juvenile thinking) because the bill isn't even about having the State of Hawaii leaving the U.S. :
[Humor]
"Wahhhhh if Hawaii can do it, why can't Alaaaaaaska??? It's not faiiir daddy McCain!!." "Don't worry little Palin, Daddy McCain will make it allllll better with a nice new war that god told me himself he wants to start.".
[/humor]

[edit on 9/6/2008 by justme2]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

The native traditions of Hawaii die away every generation. This bill is a way to curb that and try and bring back some old traditions and Hawaii ways of life.

So let me ask you, since you are a liberal democrat. Why is it important to preserve the native traditions of Hawaii and that way of life when Liberals don't want to preserve traditions and traditional way of life here on the mainland. Liberals have been trying to destroy traditions such as the traditional meaning of family values, the sacred institution of marriage between a man and a woman, the traditional right to bare arms, etc, etc, etc. Please address this for me because I really want to know.

Now, let it be known that I am not attacking you or talking down to you in anyway. I just want you to explain to me why the left values their (Hawaiians) traditions but attack mine every chance they get. Things that are important to me are cast off by the left as being bigoted and intolerant. They are no such thing. Lets have a civil discussion about this, please?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Yes, I've been by there many times. Never inside, but I've stood outside the gates.

I actually wish I could move back to Oahu. Too hard to make good money, though.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
What a crock!!! Republicans are so good at telling their "stories" to make them sound like the truth. How about Palin? She's supposed to be a "maverick" like McCain claims to be but; what about the 26 million dollars she hired a lobbyist company in Washinton D.C. to get for her 8000 people small town over the period of four years? Did your town get back $26,000,000 from the taxes you paid to the Federal Government? Bet not! This grabbing of Federal Funds that should be given out equally to ALL Americans is what so many politicians have been so good at for the passed eight years. Guess Senator Stevens helped little Miss Paine cash in on the gravy train. What the hell does a town of 8000 people need with a "transportation hub"? She is a crook, liar and thief like so many others who keep telling you they are "there for you". They are there for themselves.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

LiquidMirage; I'll take a crack at that, if you wouldn't mind. But tell me, which ways of life specifically have the democrats taken from you?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

To say that there is not pretty pervasive racism against Caucasians in Hawai'i, especially out in the sticks, is just incorrect. No offense, but there is. It may be a lot better than it used to be, but it still exists. Never heard of "Kill Haole day?" And, although it does have everything to do with simmering resentment over the overthrow, it really has very little to do with "tourists thinking they own us." Its just like racism anywhere. Something happened, people got pissed, and they extend that pissed-offness to anyone who looks even remotely like the person who committed the original offense.

I am originally from Hawai'i too. Waianae to be precise. Racism ran so high there when I was little that they just told tourists and the military not to go there.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

Simple. Glad you asked....

WE defend the hawaiin way of life because they did nothing wrong to lose it. They were taken over by the US gov... Fine, thats how the world works. But the government formally apologized and this is anothe step..

As for American values... thats a toss up really. The reason gays havent been a traditional marriage is because they have been demonized and persecuted. They didnt ask for all the hardships that come with being gay. One gay marriage will not affect your decision, or mine, to marry my girlfriend. ( or boyfriend in the female case) So using traditions as an attack on the progressive attitude is like saying, in the 19th century, that slavery shouldnt be outlawed because its the way of life.

as for guns, im not sure what you are talking about. I am a gun owner, but I dont need armor piercing bullets or ak 47's.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Hawaii was obtained by the US Govt without Hawaiin people voting on it legally. The vote in 1959 was open to all residents of hawaii living there at least one year, which meant tens of thousands of US servicemen.

The ballot itself did not allow for independance of Hawaii. It was a loaded ballot.

Hawaii should be left to the Hawaiin people, of which there are so few left. In Maui the only areas where native peoples live is Upcountry; Pukalani, Macawao etc....away from the coastal tourist traps. The heirs and guardians of the islands are forced into smaller and smaller areas each year...Hawaii was taken by hook and crook, at a time when Manifest Destiny was US foriegn Policy.

If this is the first step to returning Hawaii to the rightfull heirs, then great. how can i support it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join