It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama will actually vote to "help" Hawaii split from the US.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
After all the hand wringing about Palin's husband having tenuous connections to an Alaskan succession group, I found it quite funny that Obama will vote to help Hawaii secede from the US.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Native Hawaiian Government Reorganization Act of 2007 (S. 310, H.R. 505), a bill currently before the United States Congress, is commonly known as the Akaka Bill after U.S. Senator Daniel Akaka, D-HI, who has proposed various forms of this bill since 2000. The Akaka bills proposed between 2000 and the present seek to establish a process for Native Hawaiians to gain federal recognition similar to the recognition that some Native American tribes currently possess.[1] The House version of the bill (H.R. 505) passed on October 24, 2007[2].

www.hawaiireporter.com...

"The only advocate who was comprehensive and charismatic was Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, D-IL, who shared personal insights as a former resident of Hawaii on how the bill will help Hawaii.

Given Obama's history and mentors, it doesn't surprise me tat he can explain why getting away from the US will help them.

The bill was even admitted to be the first step in splitting Hawaii from the US. From the same article:

"The Senator (Akaka) attempted to backtrack on a highly inflammatory statement he made in a 2005 interview on National Public Radio, during which he admitted the Akaka Bill could lead to Hawaii’s secession from the United States. His 2005 statement, which he unsuccessfully attempted to clarify a couple of days later, sent shockwaves throughout political and media circles across the country."

Is this worse than what Palin's husband did? Will the media pay any attention to this, or will they report on it like they did Palin?

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Are you familiar with the story of the native Hawaiians?
Have you ever lived in Hawaii?

Hawaii is so far removed from the United States mainland in all aspects it isn't even worth mentioning. The only thing that tells me that Hawaii is even a state to begin with is the fact that the US has military bases all over the place out there.

I think Hawaiians should make that choice themselves. And it IS very much like the Native Americas. Same story, different victims.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
are you familiar with what the bill is? Or do you just google it and go with wikipedia?

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama (Illinois) today released a statement expressing his acknowledgement and support of the Native Hawaiian Government Reorganization Act, otherwise known as the Akaka Bill.

The former Hawai'i resident and Punahou School graduate released the following statement today, through his local campaign committee:

"Hawaii has always acknowledged and celebrated diversity, and an important part of Hawaii's culture is the Native Hawaiian people. For this reason, I am proud to support Senators Daniel Akaka and Daniel Inouye in their efforts to extend the federal policy of self-governance and self-determination to Native Hawaiians.

The Native Hawaiian Government Reorganization Act provides both the process and opportunity for Native Hawaiian communities to engage themselves in and reorganize their governing entity to establish a federally recognized government-to-government relationship with the United States. The process set forth in this important legislation empowers Native Hawaiians to explore and address the longstanding issues resulting from the overthrow of the kingdom of Hawaii.

As Americans, we pride ourselves on safeguarding the practice and ideas of liberty, justice, and freedom. By enacting this legislation, we can continue this great American tradition and fulfill this promise for Native Hawaiians and ensure that they are not left behind as Hawaii continues to progress.

This is an important bill, and if it is not signed into law this year, I will commit to supporting it as president."

Hawai'i native rights attorney Bill Meheula added, "This statement of support comes from a leader with an impeccable record on civil rights. It also reminds us that Senator Obama is not a national leader who needs to be briefed on local issues. Being from here, he knows what is important from the inside out."

Akaka bill

The native traditions of Hawaii die away every generation. This bill is a way to curb that and try and bring back some old traditions and Hawaii ways of life. We will not be left with 49 states. Stop continuing the garbage...

throw enough crap on the wall and see what sticks eh?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
[Snip] Being so far from the mainland is an argument that they have kept more of their traditions than native americans. [Snip]

Mod Edit: Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 2) Behavior. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 6/9/08 by JAK]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
That was an extremely hateful post.

And as for Dog the Bounty Hunter, he is a joke. I've met him personally and the dude is a total douchebag.

Furthermore, the people you see on Dog are rarely ever actual native Hawaiians. They are mostly Samoans out there.

You see, there aren't any Hawaiians left, figuratively speaking. The European's all but destroyed them when they invaded Hawaii. And the normal argument given against Hawaiian seccession is "look at what you've become because you are a US state."...

Well, I would argue, "yes, but at what cost to the traditions and culture of these PROUD, PROUD people." The native Hawaiians are some of the best people I've had the priveledge of living next to. To call them lazy crackheads is infuriating.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR

I think Hawaiians should make that choice themselves. And it IS very much like the Native Americas. Same story, different victims.

[Snip]
What would happen i sthat Japan , who has a very strong presence there, would take over and increase their real estate.

Mod Edit: Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 2) Behavior. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 6/9/08 by JAK]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

Yet another unfounded opinion. Wow, I am very surprised to see the racism prevalent in this thread. Misguided racism, actually. These people don't even know who they are basing their ignorant hatred against!

No wonder these folks support McCain.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

I would venture to guess that the racism exhibited here does not reflect your average Mccain supporter.

So we have decided that native Hawaiians are junkies based on DOG??? Wow, I wonder what a foreigner does when they watch COPS.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

If you read the article I posted, Akakka admitted it was the first step in splitting from the US. It says he back tracked form that message, but unsuccessfully.

Anyway, I just posted it to show another instance where the media looks in to one side, but not the other.

reply to post by bknapple32

I would venture to guess that the racism exhibited here does not reflect your average Mccain supporter.

Its one guy and Its a stretch to call that racism.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It only makes sense that in this time of giving the indians their own lands, we should also give the hawaiians back land we took from them with slaughter. After all, the majority of native hawaiians live in poverty, as the tourists and americans get the majority of the profits from their beautiful island. I dont see why this bill is a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

A stretch? If one says that all black people are crack heads, I surely would call that racism, same rule applies here.

And the Akaka bill..

Lingle also said the Akaka Bill "will not set up a foreign nation in Hawaii" and that the bill's "very purpose is to allow native Hawaiians to reform and restore the governmental structure that the United States has since acknowledged it had a substantial hand in destroying."

akaka bill

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
No, I would agree that the average McCain supporter probably doesn't found all of their opinions based on their own ignorance and hatred, but as I said, these particular people do and it is no wonder these particular people support McCain.

I mean hey, if they are willing to call native Hawaiians lazy crackheads, what do they think about blacks?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
No, I would agree that the average McCain supporter probably doesn't found all of their opinions based on their own ignorance and hatred, but as I said, these particular people do and it is no wonder these particular people support McCain.

I mean hey, if they are will to call native Hawaiians lazy crackheads, what do they think about blacks?

What "they"? Its one guy!

Like I said, the media had no problem spending two days accusing Palin of being a traitor, yet haven't touched this for one second.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Because the bill is not intended to help Hawaii split from the US. You take a mess up of words from Akaka, who has since explained himself, and keep using it against him. Thats not really fair is it? Have you ever messed up what you were trying to explain? Im sure you have, we all have.

The Governor of Hawaii, both senators and Obama have all said this bill is another stepping stone, from the bill in 1993 where the US apologized to Hawaii, to make amends with Hawaiians. Particularly land rights and schools will be helped out by this bill.

That would be why the media, including FOX, has not picked up on this.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I read this article a while back and apparently Hawaiians don't like people who live on the North American continent. Maybe it won't be such a bad thing if they really feel that way. Check out the article, its the whole story.

www.alohaupdate.com...

Good thread BTW. I forgot all about the article until you posted this. Thanks for the memory jog.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Actually, there were two separate people, in back to back posts echoing this crap, unless I'm mistaken. I'll check again, if I was wrong about that, I will correct my mistake.

PS: First it was SectionEight with the initial hatefilled posting, and the same sentiments were echoed by fathom two posts later.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Glad to see that the overt racism was removed from the posts.

Hawaii is unique. If you ever get the chance to go to the state capital, it is pretty neat. They have a palace sitting right next to the capital building that is out of the jurisdiction of the police. They still hold very dear their monarchy that the Europeans overturned when they decided to conquer those lands under threat of violence and with disease. Until people can get past the fact that it is somehow OK to conquer someone else's land, we are never going to mature as a people.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

The media hasn't touched this in relation to Obama because it is a non-issue. This is a matter of what is right. If anything, media attention on this story would shine light on Obama in a positive way.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
So now there is NO native hawaiians left but they want freedom for natives?
Like I said earlier, just a social free govt check program. What you think that check will be spent on is different from what the evidence shows. Never once did a gvt. welfare check get somebody out of poverty, it just kept them there.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Your posts are completely ignorant of the situation the Hawaiians face. Completely and totally. Yes, Hawaii is a wonderful place. This is why everyone wants to go there. The island of Oahu itself is home to 800,000 people, but at any given time there are 3.5 million people there. Tourism is HUGE. Problem with such a high tourist area is that demand for access to the land creates property values THROUGH THE ROOF.

In fact, I could argue that the tourism ITSELF hurts the people that live there. Why you ask? Because aside from working in the tourist industry (hotel house-keeper or something to that effect) you are forced to farm.

Guess what? Their farmlands are reducing by the day due to the same tourism that pays low wages. Calling the Hawaiians lazy welfare crackheads is unacceptable. And if you had actually read my post without using your own misguided judgment on the matter, you would have realized that I didn't say there were no Hawaiians left, just very few. This shows you don't know the story. You are fighting a losing battle here. I've lived there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join