It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers' Suicide Rate On Pace to Set Record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Soldiers' Suicide Rate On Pace to Set Record

www.washingtonpost.com

Suicides among active-duty soldiers this year are on pace to exceed both last year's all-time record and, for the first time since the Vietnam War, the rate among the general U.S. population, Army officials said yesterday.

Ninety-three active-duty soldiers had killed themselves through the end of August, the latest data show. A third of those cases are under investigation by the Armed Forces Medical Examiner's Office. In 2007, 115 soldiers committed suicide.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The military should really be looking at this issue more closely. Being a soldier is not an easy job and these men and women are subjected to many awful things. Many soldiers suffer from PTSD and other depression related ailments. The rate last year was 18.1 per 100,000 and expected to rise.

It is my opinion based on multiple conversations with soldiers who have returned home and the data presented that the US military does not take very good of care of these soldiers once they have left military life. Many have a have a hard time finding jobs and many of the skills they learn while in the military do not transfer to civilian life. Many soldiers experience a void upon returning and there are very few jobs that can fill that void.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Thank you for bringing attention to this issue. The veterans of this war have not only the highest suicide rate, but have lost the most limbs due to IED's etc.

It is shameful how we are sweeping these men and women under the rug when they return home. Whether you agree with the war or not they are making the ultimate sacrifice--let's not make the same mistake as our government and treat them as though their lives are disposable.

I am a veteran of this war myself. I have been disabled since my return in 2000. You would not believe the nightmare of trying to call the VA. They are understaffed, undertrained and downright rude.

I would encourage anyone to call the VA for any veteran you know just so you can have an idea how they are treating people. I often wonder how someone who is severely mentally ill from their experience at war can navigate this maze.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I guess you could look at this 2 ways .. Either darwin was right.. Or god does punish the wicked . Either way HoooRAh

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'm not sure what you are implying with this? I'm hoping it's not that chemical exposure and PTSD are some sort of evolutionary phenomonon. Neither of these things are naturally occurring.

This is in response to you D11

[edit on 6-9-2008 by ObamasLoveChild]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Although I am a civilian as well as not a US citizen I can relate to the stories of PTSD as I was diagnosed with CPTSD via the VA in Oklahoma.

I never have had issues with the VA (but as I said I am a civilian) and I only came to thier attention because of a referal from another area of the goverment and so I was never handled directly from the VA.......anyhow its complicated.

This was a number of years ago....and I can tell you that in my case it will sort of go away for a while and then start to sneak up on you unaware. A person really needs to stay on top of it or it can erode your relationships as well as completely # you up.

I was speaking to a Viet Nam vet at the cigar shop in Tulsa, Ok (kitty corner from St. Francis...awsome hangout if you are military or civy) and he went off his meds and had placed four of his hunting rifles positioned at each of the windows ...rigged and ready....and HE THOUGHT THIS WAS GOOD.

So you can see that when you come down and you begin to see your actions from a rational point of view how devastating they can be.

With me I become very very protective of my family to the point of crazyness....fortunately my old lady intervenes by telling me to "shut the # up"...haha

Hang in there and yes ..we are not prepared for the guys/girls coming back ...never are.

new topics

top topics

join