It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.0 SF Bay Area quake...good shaker...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Whoa, we just felt a good shaker...not sure what size it was yet...not showing on USGS yet. Anyone else feel that?

[edit on 5-9-2008 by DearWife]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
In Palo Alto right now and did not feel anything

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Nothing from USGS

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
...listed here... on the edit: downgraded to 4.0:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 5-9-2008 by arktkchr]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Okay now showing a magnitude 4.2

at location 37.866°N, 121.996°W at 16 miles depth near Concord

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 9/5/08 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

The floor of our house rolled...looks to be in the Alamo area.
MAP 4.1 2008/09/06 04:00:15 37.866 -121.996 16.2 SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
We felt it over here in Fremont. I thought it was a train passing by at first. They usually jiggle the house quite a bit! Then, realized all was quiet outside. Interestingly, there was a microquake (2.0) in the wee hours this morning, around Berkeley. Sure hope we're not gearing up for that proverbial "Big One!"

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DearWife

hmm....No...didn't feel anything...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I've been wondering if something was going to happen weather wise or quake wise. The birds been acting weird here for the past 5 months. Our bedroom door the other day got jammed more so I had to take the coat rack off.

Here's another forum that's posting on it:
just felt here in east bay sf...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DearWife

I had just gotten used to the heat and was drifting off to sleep, and then I woke up to my shower door rattling like crazy. It's been a long time since I've experienced an earthquake, and it scared the bejeezus out of me, honestly. Then I got up and checked USGS and found it was a 4.0, and so I felt like a bit of a wuss. So after being made to feel like a little girl, I guess I should go eat some raw meat, do some 1-armed push-ups and belch the alphabet to regain my manliness.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wintermute

Really a 4.0? Wow, didn't even feel it...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm in Vallejo and I didn't feel anything at all.

Too bad, I always enjoy being able to experience them....except for the real big ones.

I hope this doesn't lead to something more powerful

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wintermute

lol...oh man, yea got me a little shaken too. It had a kind of weird rolling feeling to it though.

And there I was sitting at my puter trying to find more information for the folks living in the South East on the hurricanes, then all sudden the rolling came.

Anonymous ATS...

Yes, I know there was that 5.6 Alum Rock quake on the Calaveras fault. There's been several small aftershocks around the same area from that one still popping. I've been also noticing several micros creeping towards the Concord, Danville, and Moraga areas. Then up toward Napa and Fairfield. Not sure what fault is in the Alamo area.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Seven miles from the epicenter here. What was weird is I was talking with my roommate about earthquakes when it started shaking...crazy! No aftershocks...yet.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PlausibleDeniability

Did you feel that 4.0 near Green Valley a couple months ago? That was close to Vallejo but more near Fairfield.

Oh here is video from the local news here on the one that just happened:
kgo7news quake jolt

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Another update with an interview with someone from the USGS:
Dan Ashley speaks on-air with USGS Seismologist, Randy Baldwin

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Nope, I didn't feel that one either, I was asleep
But my wife and her sister felt it.

I havn't been in an earthquake since I lived in Humboldt when they had that 7.0+ the day before Christmas. That was one hell of a quake. My 100 gallon fish tank damn near fell on me.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PlausibleDeniability

Yikes, that would not have been good.

Here's another video from ktvu news of people's reaction at Jack London Square.

We've also been experiencing a drought that could be a factor in it as well. My mother said there was a four year drought before the Loma Prieta Quake.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Anyone felt this one centered in Piedmont? We were seeing an increase in roadkill up that way for the past few weeks. Wonder if it was a precursor? The pigeons and the seagulls were flying in unison this morning. Hmm. This one had a rocking chair feeling too it.

Magnitude 3.1 - SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA

[edit on 10-10-2008 by DearWife]

new topics

top topics

join