It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Virtual Telescope Zooms In On Milky Way's Super-massive Black Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

New Virtual Telescope Zooms In On Milky Way's Super-massive Black Hole

www.sciencedaily.com

The astronomers linked together radio dishes in Hawaii, Arizona and California to create a virtual telescope more than 2,800 miles across that is capable of seeing details more than 1,000 times finer than the Hubble Space Telescope.

The cosmic target of the observations was the source known as Sagittarius A* ("A-star"), long thought to mark the position of a black hole whose mass is four million times that of the sun.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
"Black Holes Light Up" (Sept. 1, 2006)
"Chandra Sees Remarkable Eclipse Of Black Hole"(Apr. 13, 2007)

[edit on 5-9-2008 by arktkchr]

[edit on 5/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Article also provides technical information about this "virtual telescope," another 'snippet' and photo:

Most galaxies are now thought to have black holes at their centers, but because Sagittarius A* is in our own galaxy, it is our best chance to observe what's happening at an event horizon.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I dont understand...Do Black Holes exist or not?
From www.sciencedaily.com...

Astronomers have obtained an unprecedented look at the nearest example of galactic cannibalism -- a massive black hole hidden at the center of a nearby giant galaxy that is feeding on a smaller galaxy in a spectacular collision.

From www.sciencedaily.com...

The concept of black holes, objects so dense that their gravitational pull prevents anything including light itself from ever escaping their grasp, has long been hypothesized, but their existence has not yet been proved conclusively.

Am i misreading something?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SvenTheBerserK

lol. No, you're not misreading it... that would be the result of different branches of science all disagreeing with each other.

Some say they have proof.

Others say there is no proof, and it's a sound theory.

A few say the whole thing is crazy talk.

Remember, Science isn't an organization, it's a practice... just as doctors will disagree on what's the best treatment for X ailment... scientists will disagree on the data they've reviewed.

new topics

top topics

join