Busted: The Citizens Guide to surviving a police encounter

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This is good information,but unfortunately I learned it all through trial and error. Then again there's nothing that makes you more equipped to handle these situations than hands on experience.

I had an instance like this when I was drunk and sleeping in the back of my car by my friends bar because I didn't want to drive drunk. Anyway A cop who happened to know me from my younger days knocked on the _ I climbed over the seat and got out and was talking w/him and he was a real gungho wanna be, and starts harassing me and wants me to take a breathalyzer which I denied so he arrested me and I didn't resist. He never asked for consent to search my car and took my keys out of my pocket and searched the car and trunk.Needless to say he found three 1/8ths of weed and added it to the charges.

I was at the precint in the room where they video the field tests and another pig asked me why I didn't take the test and I explained to him I was drunk but for once doing the right thing by not attempting to drive and gungho Jo wanted to play superhero and put a notch under his belt. Everything was on video and my lawyer got the entire case thrown out. Everything including the marijuana.

I understand we put ourselves in certain situations,but I was doing the right thing regarding my choice and he violated my rights. I personally haven't smoked weed or drank alcohol in over 10 years and I know many will say it was my fault and I do agree that sometimes we do things we shouldn't but I was in my 20's. Young, wild and rebelious.I did put myself in this situation but I never gave him probable cause to search my car and above all never consented. This was nothing more than an abuse and manipulation of power and the law.

I have a lot of stories from my 20's which end a hell of alot worse w'alot mor time served,but thank God I rid myself af all of the substances which sreated these problems. Just wanted to share the one that worked out well.Also be substance free and full of knowledge from these esxperiences allows me to handle them in the right manner know,though I probably have only been pulled over twice in the last 12 yrs.I simply don't put myself in these situtions anymore.

Kids,Don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Above all never let them violate.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Great post. I'm quite familiar with this one already but you get S&F because everyone should see this. The video is produced by a group called Flex Your Rights. Their web site features lots more info (www.flexyourrights.org...) and apparently they have a new video coming out sometime in the future.

When Busted was first released, the group was giving away copies to activist groups. I was running the U of M NORML chapter (at the Twin Cities campus) and we held a big video screening at a theater in the student union. We also invited a local lawyer to give a Q&A session after the movie. It was a very successful event and I recommend others arrange similar events in their own communities (though I think you have to buy the video now.)

Obviously with NORML we had a particular interest in spreading this info, but whether or not your support the drug war, you should be aware of your rights.

My only concern is that, being several years old, I don't know how much of the data in this video is still valid. After all, it seems that the LEOs can toss all our constitutional rights out the window if for any arbitrary reason they decide you are a "terrorist" or some other kind of "domestic threat." What I'm getting at is that refusing a search or questioning may result in even further intimidation until they find some valid excuse for overcoming your "stubbornness" and slapping on a pair of cuffs.

Just my thoughts...great vid nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
i saw this video about a year ago. i think its pretty funny watching those police shows like Cops and all those "caught on film" crime shows knowing this info. most of those people seem to make these mistakes all the time.

edit: haha im watching one right now and the dumb kid admitted to everything and then tried to talk his way out of it.

[edit on 9/7/2008 by homeskillet]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I have had plenty of dealings with local and state law enforcement here in MS. Some of it has been as a law breaker, some has been as a club manager needing their assistance. I have learned that the one most important rule of thumb is to always, always be as polite as possible.

Here are a few lucky charms from my past.
I was speeding, excessively. I passed a cop at a speed trap. I reduced speed and kept going until he caught up to me. My license were suspended and I was one week from getting them back when this happened. I took a lawless chance that I would be ok in that week. I was polite and the officer wrote me a ticket for speeding ONLY and ordered that my friend drive the rest of the way. I was thankful for his offer. I thanked him for not taking me to jail, which by law he could have done.

As someone else posted, I was also leaving a club one night, pretty hammered. I got in my car, tossed the keys in the glovebox, opened the flip on my cell phone and leaned back to go to sleep. An officer woke me and wanted to know what I was doing. I told him I was in no shape to drive, pointed to my phone and muttered something about getting a ride and told him my keys were in the glovebox and I had no intention of driving. He told me to have a good night and walked away. I slept until the sunlight woke me and drove home.

Lastly, I got a DUI. I was cold busted. I was polite with the cop, but I got an array of charges. DUI, reckless endangerment, and since I couldnt find my insurance, he tact "no proof" on there as well. I went before the judge, admitted to the DUI, was polite and jovial with her. She ended up only charging me with the DUI and even let me setup on a payment plan to cover the costs that I did not have on me. I ended up shaving a lot of points and financial woes off what could have been an extreme sentence and only had to deal with having that single DUI on my record.

All in all, no matter what, be courteous and calm. Jittery, nervous people make cops and officials nervous and they respond more aggresively. Tell the truth within the limits of your rights. Dont ever ever put up a verbal or physical struggle. As Ron White said, "I dont know how many it would take to wipe my a**, but I know how many they plan to use."

Excellent video and I know alot of what I said here is redundant to those made there, but they are worth repeating because they could mean the difference between going about your business or going to jail.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I've seen this before...very good! starred and flagged!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hi Ya folks ,thanks for this informative film, which has opened my eyes wide to the violation of basic human rights carried out by the British police and there community support officers(those wanna be cops who have zero training and do it for free)heres a link I hope you see our rights here in the UK. NWO nerds eat your hearts out! the link is www.met.police.uk...

I pray they let you see this ,think twice about coming to visit the uk, its a # country to visit anyways!

[edit on 7-9-2008 by jiggyturbojim]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
So were helping druggies escape with this video?

If you got nothing to hide, then let them search. People can smell guilt, and the police are people.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

So we should just give up our constitutional rights because we have nothing to hide?

No thanks, I'd like to exercise all rights I'm grateful to have.

Anyway, thanks for the video, it was extremely informational. Starred and flagged.

-Will

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This is a bump post.

Everyone, including police officers, should review this video.

I work for a company that employees police officers and I hear their side of the story all the time. To many officers, a pull over later becomes (police) locker room humor.

I'll just leave it at that.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. I feel so much more informed. If things keep going the way that they are... we ALL might have to refer back to this video!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The most important thing about this film is not that it affords protections to the those with something to hide but rather that truly law abiding citizens must choose to guard their rights and assert their rights.

I drive what would in LE circles be deemed a questionable vehicle with lots of bumper stickers, etc.

I understand that and drive accordingly.

I get pulled over A LOT for no reason other than the political messages I display (no I don't even speed)

I always assert my rights and yes I've been hauled to jail before because I've pissed off a cop.

But I've never broken a law in doing so and all charges have been dismissed.

In my opinion its more important for law abiding citizens to assert their rights than for lawyers to protect the rights of the accused.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Wow, 4 min in and I already see how he did all he can do to make the police suspect something.

Always say no when asked why you were pulled over. Any thing you say can be admitting to guilt.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by feydrautha
Eight reasons even the innocent shouldn't talk to the police:

Actually, the single, best & most pervasive reason for the innocent not to talk with the police boils right down to the 5th Amendment & one particular phrase in the Miranda Code that states, "You have the Right to remain silent. Anything you say can & will be held against you in a court of law."
Bold emphasis above is mine...Because you can bet your sweet bippy that they will use anything against you that they can get away with!

reply to post by wheresthetruth

I like your signature...It reminds me of The Darwin Awards & a signature that I used to have under my postings that said, ""Any civilization that needs to include detailed instructions for using toothpicks is a civilization I can't live in & stay sane."--Wonko the Sane"
That quote was actually written by Douglas Adams in his book, "So Long & Thanks For All The Fish."

Originally posted by die_another_day
If you got nothing to hide, then let them search. People can smell guilt, and the police are people.

Upholding your own Rights cannot be held against you, no matter what they can "smell."

So you don't care much about your own 4th Amendment? The LEO's cannot legally search you or your property without one of two things: a warrant or your permission: That's part of the Due Process of Law to which they must take an Oath of Office to uphold. Just because you personally have nothing to hide, the 4th Amendment exists to protect you from arbitrary violations too, ya' know...At the very least, it protects you from having your time wasted for no justifiable reason.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Changed my mind

[edit on 9/8/2008 by Dark Realms]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I do have to say this video does not accurately portray law enforcement what so ever. I can't vouch for all states but mine. Once he hit reckless driving, its considered a class misdemeanor and arrestable which means I am towing the car, towing the car means this vehicle is state property until legaly released and therefore for protection of the department and trooper/ or officer. An inventory is conducted and guess what happens if anything illegal is found? Arrests will probably be made. As a former trooper I always was fair but firm and gave breaks where applicable. There are things that happen when they get to a certain point an arrest has to be made due to legal complications. For example if Mr X was stopped and found to be DUI saya .35, if i were to let him go he is going to kill someone, and it could be my family or yours. This is video is sad to say a waste of time to make. It reminds me of radar detectors which are usless pieces of plastic which electronics inside. I have written more people for speed with radar detectors (illegal in VA) then people without.
People think they are bullet proof, speed proof and we are not. Here is the simplest way not to get a ticket, do the speed. If you get a ticket you have a 1% chance of beating a radar ticket if the officer has everything they need for court for their jurisdiction. Court fees, driving school, insurance rising and a DMV record and most emploers look at these nowadays. Trying to get a job with a clearance, I have had many contact me when a backround inves was going on to find out more details about each circumstance.
To answer the question about searching a female, its circumstantial, I just contacted another female to do the search. I was a cop in the Air Force and the same applied. the situation usually dictates

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have a better sol'n. While your handing over your license/registration/insurance include a piece of paper with the bill of rights printed on it. Also take a piece of paper, pen or pencil, and start writing down the officers name, badge number, and if you can see it easily, the squad car number (you have the "right" to do that). Most likely they'll get the point that you know your rights and you intend to legally enforce them if necessary. They may rethink harrasing you. Heck, they might even obey the law for once. But always be curteous, it does go a long way to "help" you.

And now that I think of it, the cops don't tell you upfront that you are being videotaped and recorded for "training or quality assurance purposes", so why should they have all the fun? Keep a small voice recorder in your car at all times and if/when you get pulled over switch that baby on.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SFORCESRCG

Just read this and I wanted to respond.

You're absolutely correct, the acting is horrible, cheesy, and doesn't represent typical stops/questioning by law enforcement. In my experiences it has been far worse and would put this video to shame.

Example- I've had an officer take my license, stick it in the window trim of the squad car next to several other random people's licenses. Once I was let go I asked for my license back. He laughed, drove off, and kept it as a trophy along with the others.

Example- Had a "seargant" pull me out of the squad car because I said I didn't know why he had detained me. He made me put my hands on the trunk of the car, started screaming at me at the top of his lungs 2 inches from my ear that I was guilty (of what I didn't know at the time). Many people watched in shock, (Including his deputies. They looked like they were considering restraining their seargant, not me).

... just a couple of examples. You want more?

I'd say the ratio of encounters with "good" cops -vs- "bad" cops throughout my life has been about 3:5. And for the record, I've never been arrested for anything, no moving violations, and I've only gotten 1 parking ticket in my whole life. I don't use drugs, drink and drive, or participate in midget mud wrestling.

BUT, I'd also like to say that I've met some really decent cops, and when I do I don't even think of them as "cops" anymore, I think of them as peacekeepers, and I'd back them in a confrontation if they ever needed it.

I will pass the soapbox now.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
sorry i gotta do a quick rant

the lady cop at the party just irritated me so much i wish there was a out take clip from the piece of the girl in the video punching the cop right in the jaw, only because i know this is film and they could get away with it...thats something that would never take place in real life no matter how deserving a cop might be of it.

its sad how realistic all these scenarios are...ive personally witnessed Every scenario in this video...litterally

the reason this video makes me so upset is because in my opinion it shows how absolutely preposterous this war on drugs is.

this war on drugs is just a made up thing to give the government the corrupt taxing powers that our forefathers led a revolution to free us from

without the war on drugs we wouldnt have the war on terrorism as there would be no drug money to fund the terrorism and there would be no gun money or guns to provide the terrorists with because no one would be fighting on the large scale thats taking place now there may be wars between countries still, but they would be fought due to religion and conquering, the things we fought for for thousands of years, not the political manuerisms we are fed now

all the drug war does is give the corporate corrupt the cloak they need to do their dirty work

this video is great its informative and i think everyone should see it to learn or at least begin on the the path to learning what we all need to know about our rights, however, the truth of it is.. since the patriot act and everything else that has been taking place since the 30s id say...it doesnt matter how well we know our rights or how well we act the part of a citizen with full knowledge of the law...the truth of it is...at any moment, all our rights go right out the window along with that imaginary smoke all the cops kept smellin in the video...cops can do whatever they want, they can and will violate your rights and manipulate you any chance they see fit...police mentality is no longer to serve and protect, its more of a military style of thinking of us verse them, now to cops everyone fitting a certain stereotype or archtype are instantly pegged as suspicious

i was born in 1985 so i dont know or have first hand knowledge of the years be4 my birth, i only know what i've lived, however i do my best to study history as much as possible...but unfortunately all history is written by the victors so the real truth is hard to decifer but ive always heard stories of black panthers following cops in the streets with guns to make sure the cops dont abuse their power along with other similar stories of men standing up to "the man"....well i find it sad that if that was true of those times, its tragic that those days are gone

i find it sad that we have turned into a generation of sheep providing nothing more then warmth and comfort to our farmers

i know we cant sustain a culture of civilians against police but sadly thats what this country is turning into and its only a matter of time until we see a new form of slavery, one whos roots are already taking hold

the women's suffrage movement worked

the civil rights movement worked when martin luther and rosa parks and fellow heroes led the beginning of the change

i guess now we just have to wait for the next martin luthers and malcom x's of the world to make a stand and light up the right path for our country to follow in order to right the wrongs of the past few decades of corrupt devestation

i hope that the history books will tell of how the human rights movement worked and america is taken back to the ideas of those 13 colonies

ps

the whole "i smell something" line being good enough to end the need for a warrant is complete b.s. the fact we even allow that to be uttered in the court of law in the united states of america must make our founders turn in their graves.... unfortunately they must be like a roasted pork on a spit in their graves with all things that are taking place

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
our country was founded on the belief that we had to keep any one branch of govt from having too much power but with our existing current legal system we are no longer the united states of america.. no longer are we what our 13 colonies intended when they signed the declaration of Independence ...we have given up our freedom and as im writing this sentance all i can imagine is who our next william wallace is from mel gibsons movie....who will be the next to fight for FREEdom... I hope our governors and mayors can take the parts of the leaders from the movie and align with the next william wallace to fight for our freedom...a revolution will never work..there are too many weapons...a revolution would destroy the world and all hopes for ever being free again... what we need are political wallace's and new M.L.K.'s...i hope within my lifetime i can see this take place, i just pray whoever leads us doesnt suffer a similar fate to wallace's

"William Wallace: I *am* William Wallace! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny. You've come to fight as free men... and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight?
Veteran: Fight? Against that? No! We will run. And we will live.
William Wallace: Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM! "

when did we stop fighting? when did we lose the american revolution?

its terrifying at the end when he talks about us having to overcome our fears to stand up for ourselves in the face of authority, its painfully sad that we must now stand up to the people who were appointed to protect and serve

why are these things happening when there are murders rape and abuse taking place in this world?

and for those of you who're going to say its taking place to prevent those things, marijuana is not the gateway drug to murder rape and abuse..thats just the line they give u to leave you powerless

i look forward to seeing more of these types of videos and articles, people who are actually taking a stance against corruption

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flux8
I have a better sol'n. While your handing over your license/registration/insurance include a piece of paper with the bill of rights printed on it. Also take a piece of paper, pen or pencil, and start writing down the officers name, badge number, and if you can see it easily, the squad car number (you have the "right" to do that). Most likely they'll get the point that you know your rights and you intend to legally enforce them if necessary. They may rethink harrasing you. Heck, they might even obey the law for once. But always be curteous, it does go a long way to "help" you.

And now that I think of it, the cops don't tell you upfront that you are being videotaped and recorded for "training or quality assurance purposes", so why should they have all the fun? Keep a small voice recorder in your car at all times and if/when you get pulled over switch that baby on.

even though this is funny, its genius and i for one am def going to do the same from now on

i hope more people who read this post from you let what you say sink in... the more prepared the better, and with the way things seem lately every american civilian should have a copy of the bill of rights on them

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join