It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are those multiple clicks while on ATS? And why am I now hearing them even when not on ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Here all this time it was just me.

Typically only get it on ats, no where else. Some days more some less.
I would go with ad refreshers as my best guess.
Cheerio

[edit on 9/5/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Still trying to figure out why it keeps clicking when off the ATS site. Anyone with spyware/tracking cookie knowledge know? I can't believe it could just be a .wav file that is causing it especially if the ads that were refreshing are no longer on screen, and I'm off site without a browser window open. It was happening while watching a video on Hulu and I immediately recognized it as the same clicks that happen while on ATS, and it was also happening while browsing other sites.

Like Skep-O said, sometimes advertisers insert things they are not suppsed to in the ads they submit.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

Deleting the .wav file will just stop the sound but it will still continue whatever work or process it is trying to complete. You can go into your control panel SOMEWHERE and turn the sound off I am pretty sure, without actually deleting it. I can check but will take some time. Try firefox man. Its worth it! See if it stops with firefox.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

I may try that UNLTD...I'm kinda worried because i downloaded the day it was released and it wouldn't even launch and fried my operating system including my IE7. anyone else have trouble wih Fox3? I really hate to keep using this browser by Bill "flood" Gates .

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

I know what you are talking about. I mentioned this the other day. These clicking sounds are almost exactly the same ones that I hear when I'm in the ATS chatroom. Except my computer is making these sounds. They are not coming from my speakers or headphones. They are coming from inside the computer.

The same clicks you were when ATS chat notifies you that somebody has typed in something new, that's the same clicks I've been hearing, but they are coming from inside the box. It's not something coming out of any speaker peripherals.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

Firefox freezes on me constintly, I cannot use that browser on either my gateway or my HP laptops... yuck.

I would not delete your wav file because that will not solve your problem, neither will turning off your sound.

Norton sucks. I had to get rid of it and I downloaded avast (google it) and I love it. It's free and does not slow my system down a bit. Norton was slowing down my system to an actual crawl.. i'm not kidding.. it took me months to figure out what was happening. Finally I went into the processes of my computer and found the processing hog. I shut it down and never looked back.

One more thing. I only reboot my system a couple times a week, thus leaving it on all the time. Have you tried a fresh reboot? It will clear your system memory. But beware, run all virus scanners first and spyware first because some virus's will get ya when you shut down.

Star

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pocky
reply to post by TH3ON3

I know what you are talking about. I mentioned this the other day. These clicking sounds are almost exactly the same ones that I hear when I'm in the ATS chatroom. Except my computer is making these sounds. They are not coming from my speakers or headphones. They are coming from inside the computer.

The same clicks you were when ATS chat notifies you that somebody has typed in something new, that's the same clicks I've been hearing, but they are coming from inside the box. It's not something coming out of any speaker peripherals.

No pocky it is definitely coming from my speakers and not from internal parts etc. Funny no answer by the Skep-O as he is usually all over threads that claim unusual occurances from site antvirus responses.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
norton anyivirus is the worst and you should not use it on any computer you want to run
while on this site in a 3 day span here is what my pop up blocker stopped
spystopper pro

bugs 488
ads 2387
spyware 4897
scripts 2504
cookies 222

this site totally bombards you with all the worst of the net all the time if you come here regularly you should definattly be running adaware and spystopper pro and spybot search and destroy
they will tell you there are not these thing on this site but there is and there are lots of them

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
You have had 2 people give you a solution to your problem and ignored them both while belittling one. Stop whining about not getting any advise from the owner of the site and try the suggestions. Norton SUCKS, do not use it.

As I said before, Having you mouse make multiple click sounds is a very well known issue with spy-ware and loggers. Download Spybot S&D, update it and perform a full system scan. After the scan, make sure all the boxes are checked and click on "Fix selected problems".

Problem solved.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

Its nice to see you find my post patronizing. If you were to call any form of Tech Support and explain that problem, you will be asked if the speakers are on. Its called trouble shooting, and some of the initial questions may seem dumb to you, but it helps to ensure its not a case of PEBKAC.

By stating the speakers are on, and the noise is coming from the speakers, we can ignore any mechanical failures within the PC case. The next question I would ask you is what kind of internet connection you have. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess you have broadband/always on instead of dial up. You've already stated you have Norton and in my experience that causes more problems than it solves.

As the clicking continues when you are not using your web browser, I suggest you look at your firewall settings. As I've already stated, firewalls can be set to give an audible notification when it blocks an incoming connection. If that isnt the case, then we have to start looking at possible infection

The best way to scan a PC is to restart it in Safe Mode, which prevents some viruses/trojans loading in and hiding during start up. To enable safe mode, hit F8 repeatedly before the Windows XP splash appears. A menu will pop up, select Safe Mode, then once its loaded, another pop up will ask if you wish to stay in safe mode, or use system restore. Once in safe mode, scan away. If the problem still persists, you can attempt a system restore, just select a point a month back.

If you want any links to some very useful programs (including the ones I keep on my USB tool kit) to keep your PC running smoothly, drop me a U2U. Alternatively, go for a Linux Distro, and be windows free.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by StefanO

best advice ever
since i browse via apple's safari the only clicks i am hearing are the keyboard clicks while typing

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
So they
moved this into BTS right? Or am I losing my mind?

This technically was a help thread so I do not know why except the answers have been given to the OP many times.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

Thanks! I listen to you! I have the same problem with the click sounds and your method did help. thank you again for the link and advice.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Optix

Glad I could help. Also, It's glad to see someone on this thread can take advice.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

I will take that advice for my laptop soon. I have a feeling my virus scanner is no sufficient to cover what spybot covers.

What exactly does spybot do again? something with registries?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Spybot S&D is a program that has definition files for just about every single virus, keylogger, browser hijacker, spyware, adware and malware that is out there. It scans your hard drive, ram, processes, and registry for files that match the ones in its definitions. There is a new definitions update almost every day in order to keep up with all the crap people keep releasing, so it is important to always update those definitions before each scan. IT also comes with a program called TeaTimer.

Teatimer is a great utility that asks your permission everytime something is changed on your computer. It may be slightly annoying the first few days you have it because suddenly you have to confirm all those things that you didnt have to before. After that though, the program is great at keeping those pesky creeps out of your computer.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

Ahh. Great.
Then maybe I will use spybot then. However, I did some research a while back and I remember hearing teatimer.exe or whatnot, uses more CPU, hence slowing down one's computer. Any truth to this, in regards to your computer?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

It was true when it was first released, since then they have made significant progress towards eliminating that. It uses less then one percent of my CPU, not even enough to register on a meter program. Yahoo messenger uses more CPU.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

Okay sounds good. I was on a friends computer a couple of months ago trying to see what was slowing his computer down so much and one of the problems was teatimer.exe. Despite this, it was not significant compared to MacFee and its CPU usage. His spybot was guaranteed a way older version.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
I thought this was very strange. How many of you hear the multiple clicks while on ATS. I hear them quite regularly, two or three clicks in a row, and now even when I'm off ATS I hear them. I hear them even if I don't have IE7 open. Could this be some kind of tracking or .exe program? I just thought it weird and kind of made me wonder.
No, there is no clicking sound. No one else hears the clicking sound you speak of. Pretty soon, you will no longer hear it either. None of this ever happened. Forget about it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join