It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastics chemical 'harms brain function in monkeys'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Plastics chemical 'harms brain function in monkeys'

www.abc.net.au

Scientists have reported new evidence that low doses of the chemical bisphenol A (BPA), widely used to make plastic food and drinking containers, can impair brain function in primates, extending the findings of previous research conducted in rats.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.sciencedaily.com

[edit on 5/9/08 by Shere Khaan]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Not only in this article does this have major implications on people.

These findings have "profound implications," the investigators maintain, given the critical role of these nerve connections in cognition and mood.

But the linked article as well on a similar study states:

In a laboratory study, using fresh human fat tissues, the UC team found that BPA suppresses a key hormone, adiponectin, which is responsible for regulating insulin sensitivity in the body and puts people at a substantially higher risk for metabolic syndrome.

Metabolic syndrome is a combination of risk factors that include lower responsiveness to insulin and higher blood levels of sugar and lipids. According to the American Heart Association, about 25 percent of Americans have metabolic syndrome. Left untreated, the disorder can lead to life-threatening health problems such as coronary artery disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.

Sounds errily familiar to the epidemic of health problems we are currently having. Time to ditch the p;lastic bottles and switch to glass.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I started a thread about this a while back!

Did Big Plastic Pay Off The FDA???

Here's some quotes from some articles I used.

FDA Decision on BPA Outrages Health Advocates

"The FDA's assessment relies on just two studies which were funded by the American Chemistry Council (ACC). This ignores dozens of other studies done by independent scientists which have found evidence of health consequences," says Dr. Sarah Janssen, a physician and scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC).

"The chemical industry's efforts to hide or misrepresent the hazards of its product have been so blatant that Congress has felt the need to intervene," said Dr. Jennifer Sass, a scientist with NRDC. Congress is scrutinizing the communications between the ACC and a PR firm, the Weinberg Group, whose clients have included the alcohol and tobacco industries.

So, the FDA ignores dozens of other studies that show the chemical is harmful to humans and then just chooses to use two studies that say that the chemical is safe.

And just who is the American Chemistry Council that paid for these two studies?

Well, they work for the plastics companies!

American Chemistry Council

The American Chemistry Council represents the companies that make the products that make modern life possible

Did "conflict of interest" pop into your mind!

Sounds pretty fishy to me!

Here's the article that's in the title of my thread.

Did Big Plastic Pay Off The FDA???

[edit on 9/5/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Great work on that thread!

It's incredibly scary to think that plastics ahs gone the same route as asbestos and many other dangerous products in the lack of disclosure and coverup of the harm they can cause. All for the almighty dollar.

Reading these can only make one nervous about the volume of plastic in our lives.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
It amazes me how many dangerous chemicals are used in food and everyday products when perfectly healthy alternatives are not only available, but used to be the norm. I wonder daily why glass isn't used more, or perhaps some sort of soy composite as a biodegradable container replacement for plastics.

Telegraph.co.uk 03/08/2007 - A warning about a possible link with breast and prostate cancers from a hormone-like chemical found in everyday plastic products such as food containers and water bottles has been issued by an international expert group.

Earlier this week a study of animals concluded that exposure within the womb to bisphenol A (BPA), a bulk chemical used in the production of plastics and resins, could cause changes in offspring linked with diseases such as obesity, cancer and diabetes.

new topics

top topics

join