It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry readers dump Us Magazine attacking Palin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Three celebrity weeklies — OK!, People and Us Weekly — featured Sarah Palin on their cover, but one of those magazines is reportedly losing subscribers because of it.

Us Weekly, which unlike People and OK!, chose a rather caustic cover line (“Babies, Lies and Scandal”) is said to have lost thousands of subscribers in just the first 24 hours following the printing of the issue.

Another example that America likes Palin Libs. The more you attack her, the more desparate you look.

Source

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I saw this cover in the store an couldn't believe what I was looking at. What I'm wondering is when the media will realize that everybody loves Palin and jump on her bandwagon.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Ok, it is an example of people who base their political opinions on US magazine switching sides. You can have them. Come on man!

ColoradoJens

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Good point, but think it is ultimately that media station's CEO that determines what will be promoted at that level. For example, Ted Turner is a known Democrat supporter and would probably tell his chain of command to not promote her - same with MSNBC.

Too bad, if they want the ratings, they'll do it.

Look for them to try to drown her out with more Obama hype BS - their ratings will fall and they'll tone down the politics.

Oprah can have Obama dance on her show but won't have Palin - no, that isn't hyprocritical.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

I don't think everyone loves Palin, a lot of people do don't get me wrong, but this magazine definately screwed up.

“When Us went to print Monday night, it looked like the ticket was falling apart," says one magazine editor. “They went to print thinking Palin was dead in the water, and their mistake was thinking everyone who reads Us is a Democrat, when they’re not. Readers are loyal, but the base of a political party is more loyal. They don’t need to read the magazine when there’s so much press around it to know to be upset.”

And as for the magazine denying they are losing subscribers, their advertisers admitting that customers are threatening boycotts says otherwise:

Upset might be an understatement: One Us advertiser has admitted that they’ve received calls from angry former subscribers threatening to boycott their products. “(Us publisher) Jann Wenner supports Obama, Wenner media decided to follow the buzz around Palin before her speech, and now subscribers feel like a vote has been cast on their behalf," says another magazine editor. “It’s going to be tough to bounce back from this one. Especially if the advertisers get involved. If they get nervous, that can hurt all of us.”

Very nice find! About time some of the liberal media got payback for being so unbiased.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

When you say, "the media" I'm sure the rigorously upheld journalistic standards of US MAGAZINE apply? Are we going to put US in with MSNBC?
IS MAXIM FOX?

ColoradoJens

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Wow! You know, we are talking about US for criminey sakes!! This is tabloid people. They have nothing to do with being liberal or conservative. They just care about smear topics.

What we should be talking about is that people actually subscribe to this magazine. You see it at every checkout stand with the latest celebrity gossip.

Britney Spears, i.e. terrible mother

Angelina Jolie, i.e. homewrecker

Jennifer Anniston, i.e. scorned ex-wife

Jamie Spears, i.e. underage pregnant teen
etc, etc, etc

So these people subscribe to this magazine on a monthly basis to get the smut and dirt on all these people but HOLY COW they do the same thing to Sarah Palin and it's a deal breaker????

That's some real class...

EDIT to add: If these same subscribers that were so insulted by their article on Sarah had seen a similar article on Obama or even Michele they would have gobbled up the story with a spoon and had no qualms about it.

Okay...I'm going to say it I know I'm going to get it for this one but...

Everyone has done nothing but mock Obama's celebrity status (which I'll admit was pretty ridiculous). How people fawned all over him. How people adored him. Now these same people are treating Sarah Palin as if she is absolutely off limits, a woman who must not be defiled in any way lest you be regarded as scum of the Earth. And if you say anything negative about her you are just "desperate" and worried that she's gonna kick Obama's butt!

Who's the celebrity now? Who's fawning now? Who's dripping with adoration now? The shoe is on the other foot and you guys can't even see it.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by nunya13]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Wow! You know, we are talking about US for criminey sakes!! This is tabloid people. They have nothing to do with being liberal or conservative. They just care about smear topics.

Not the point - the point is that thousands of subscribers dropped the magazine within an hour.

Do they drop the magazine (thousands) after learning Britany is terrbile mother? I think not - why? Because they don't respect Britany so much.

Alot of Americans respect Palin.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
"The media refers to this lost US segement as the 'barber-shop, dr's office & in the can' segment, most of whom have bad hair cuts, neck braces, and toilet paper sticking to their shoe."

ColoradoJens

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
These are the same idiots as the Dixi Chicks crowd. Same basic Monkey See, Monkey Do mentality.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Is this really news?

Of course republicans and democrats are going to be more loyal to their political party more so than a tabloid that is famous for spreading lies, it's common sense and most people probably knew what was going to happen when they went to perez hilton and saw the cover, that they were going to lose subscribers.

Looks like US went to far this time, but they won't pay the price, 5,000-10,000 readers isn't very much out of the 10s of millions, we will probably see more smear tactics like this untill election day, which is pretty sad.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
You all hit it on the head. It's US Magazine for Pete's sake. It's like getting mad at something that Circus or Guns and Ammo prints. Whatever.

[edit on 9/5/08 by stikkinikki]

top topics

join