It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woodward's new book and "Groundbreaking" covert operations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Hi, I'm new here. Had a question about the new article regarding Bob Woodward's new book about the Bush Administration. Apparently much of the violence in Iraq has been reduced by the use of new covert techniques to identify and kill insurgents. Any ideas about what those techniques might be?

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kiry123

In the intel and special ops world since 9/11, social anthropology has been used with great success to help build a social or network map of an organization. This allows us to study and identify the inner working of that organization to have a better understanding of who to target. These targets are cut points that will isolate parts of the organization to help dismantle their social, operations and communications structure. This has been a great tool in the field since 9/11 but the downside is that it takes time to build this map of the organization.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well considering the author of the book is an editor for the Washington Post (one of the many controlled media outlets) , odds are this is simply telling a small lie to cover up a bigger lie. Just like the 04' election. Have a "recount" and have people be pissed at that so they completely dismiss the fact that the whole process is rigged to begin with. There is no way to truth about any of this is getting exposed. I would put no clout into this whatsoever imo.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Social Networking is part of the process but not the big picture. We use social networking to determine who to apply our other techniques and technologies to. The whole link diagram process is pretty rudimentary. We still rely primarily on Sharpies and really big pieces of paper in constructing them.

We have intel and tracking systems that we use afterwards that would blow your mind. I can't even begin to understand how some of the stuff works, and I use it on a fairly regular basis. Of course I would tell you, but I'd have to kill you

Actually I would just go to jail for a long time. And ATS would likely suddenly and mysteriously cease to exist.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I would place some money on this being the combination of imaging capable of "seeing" through roofs/buildings (several techniques are known to exist) and the ability to record large volumes of images for later use (also known to exist).

If a car bomb goes off, NSA can "rewind" to see where the vehicle came from, who loaded it, and where did they come from (and where they are now) - along with every meeting they've been in for as long as the systems have been operating and "recording". As Woodward warned, "If I were an insurgent leader, I'd be leaving Iraq."

The recent spate of attacks in Pakistan would also be explained by the use of this system.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteOneActual

WhiteOneActual you are right in the use of technolgy and intel use after. Being a long time member of the intel and special ops community the use of social networking while rudimetary was just not used on a large scale to help us understand terrorist orginazations. I was first introduced to the concept in the late 80's by a proffesor at John Hopkins and then worked on a study project in Japan with thier police in the mid 90's where they used it to help with organized crime mapping. With the information being gleaned from social networking we can then bring in leveraged assets in the technical inteligence world.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If you need a clue as to what sorts of intel techniques are being used look to Hollywood and modern literature. There have been movies that show a quite high resolution film of what is happening on the ground and then they can rewind it (much like a DVR) and see who came from where. Combine that with micro UAVs as Dan Brown had in his book, Deception Point, and you have macro and micro visual and audio surveillance. Now add penetration of landlines and cell and satellite phones and the enemy will be hard pressed to communicate with the modern normal techniques. They could fly a micro UAV into a roof vent and land the thing in an attic and have the place bugged as long as power lasted in the UAV.

I guess if they can zero in on the bad guys before they get a bunch of goons to fight for them I am for it. Then again, I don't want someone snooping around while I liberally fart and burp thinking I am alone. That would be embarrassing to have that catch up with me.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

"I would somewhat compare it to the Manhattan Project in World War II," he said "It's a ski slope right down in a matter of months, cutting the violence in half. This isn't going to happen with the bunch of joint security stations or the surge."

The top secret operations, he said, will "some day in history ... be described to people's amazement."

Man, this really has me wondering what we managed to do over there. What in the world could be at the level of the A bomb and amaze people?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Heard speculation that it may be tied to cell phones - instantaneous triangulation down to a centimeter. Set a laser on that point from above - and pull the trigger.

Don't know what the cell phone infrastructure is, but it has to be technology oriented. I'm guessing the weapons are the same, but the tracking is the main piece.

Another secret for Woodward.....He missed out on being the first to expose Deep Throat. But the government knows that he can keep his mouth shut.

top topics

join