It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Was Your Favorite Barack Obama Line?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Senator McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11. I stood up and opposed this war

He opposed it from where? His living room? Obama wasn't a Senator or Congressman, or anything before 9/11.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Senator McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11. I stood up and opposed this war

He opposed it from where? His living room? Obama wasn't a Senator or Congressman, or anything before 9/11.

What exactly are you trying to say?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by jamie83
OMG... here's a classic I overlooked...

"More of you have cars you can't afford to drive, credit card bills you can't afford to pay, and tuition that's beyond your reach. These challenges are not all of government's making."

These challenges aren't ALL the government's making?

Seriously? Does anybody even listen to his pathetic drivel?

Which of these is ANY of the government's making?

He explained it in the next sentence. I'll post the relevant portion of his speech.

Tonight, more Americans are out of work and more are working harder for less. More of you have lost your homes and even more are watching your home values plummet. More of you have cars you can't afford to drive, credit card bills you can't afford to pay, and tuition that's beyond your reach.

These challenges are not all of government's making. But the failure to respond is a direct result of a broken politics in Washington and the failed policies of George W. Bush.

Transcript: Barack Obama's Acceptance Speech

Bold emphasis added.

Just helping you out a bit.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

"More of you have cars you can't afford to drive, credit card bills you can't afford to pay, and tuition that's beyond your reach. These challenges are not all of government's making."

Still doesn't change his implication that having a car you can't afford, credit card bills, and tuition that's too high is somehow the government's fault.

And exactly how is the Federal government and George Bush or ANY POTUS supposed to "respond" to an individual who can't make his car payment? The problem with his statement is it presupposes the Federal government should intervene somehow to help you when you can't make your car payment, or when you spent too much on your credit cards, or to pay your tuition.

He might as well just simplify it:

"I'll take other people's money at the point of a gun and with the threat of sending them to jail and give it to you."

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

The U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003. Obama wasn't able to vote on any of this since he wasn't a senator at this time.

Obama is currently the junior United States Senator from Illinois. He was elected to the Senate in November 2004

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

The U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003. Obama wasn't able to vote on any of this since he wasn't a senator at this time.

Obama is currently the junior United States Senator from Illinois. He was elected to the Senate in November 2004

en.wikipedia.org...

So because he wasn't a Senator and wasn't able to vote his opinion wasn't revelant?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

I think in general, he is referring to the inaction of government to manage the economy. It is debatable as to what role the government should play in the market, but Bush did eventually come up with a bailout for the mortgage crisis, so evidently he thought the government does play a role.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
reply to post by jamie83

I think in general, he is referring to the inaction of government to manage the economy. It is debatable as to what role the government should play in the market, but Bush did eventually come up with a bailout for the mortgage crisis, so evidently he thought the government does play a role.

Ok. I see how that's what his point could be. That said, the way he worded it makes it sound like "not all these problems are the governments fault,' implying that some are.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I think this was my favorite part of Obama's speech and exemplifies the whole republican ideology.

It's not because John McCain doesn't care. It's because John McCain doesn't get it.

For over two decades, he's subscribed to that old, discredited Republican philosophy — give more and more to those with the most and hope that prosperity trickles down to everyone else. In Washington, they call this the Ownership Society, but what it really means is — you're on your own. Out of work? Tough luck. No health care? The market will fix it. Born into poverty? Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps — even if you don't have boots. You're on your own.

Well, it's time for them to own their failure. It's time for us to change America.

Transcript: Barack Obama's Acceptance Speech

Bold emphasis added.

I think that says it all. America should be a place where people can get some help if they need it. If we don't, then opportunity will only apply to those born to it, and is not possible for everyone. Anything else would be un-American.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Obama was still an Illinois state senator, so he could not vote on whether to go to war in Iraq, but he did go out of his way to give this speech in opposition to it.

Barack Obama's Stirring 2002 Speech Against the Iraq War

Even though he wasn't able to, he still showed how he would have voted on the war, if he could.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

I agree with his statement to a point...the fact that Americans SHOULD be able to look towards our leaders for help if we absolutley NEED it, but the fact is, that is exactly what most of our ancestors were told when they came here. "You're on your own." "Tough luck." "Born into poverty? Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps — even if you don't have boots." Ever heard of Identured Servitude? Many of them gave up their freedom so that we would have the chance to have ours. That is what this country is built on. Hard work, blood sweat, and tears. It's when we start depending on our government for help EVERY time we need it, is when we've gave them too much power. 10% of the time a homless man actually has a legit reason to be asking for help, the other 90% he's looking for a handout...there is a HUGE difference! It's time we get back to the basics. You get out what you put in.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Chucktah

But at the same time, we should not allow people to starve in the richest nation of the World. We should not deny someone who needs heath care in the richest nation of the World. We should not let someone who has lost a job, loose everything they own. We should not keep a bright student out of college because they cannot afford it. What we should do is encourage kids to not only finish High School, but continue their education. They will need it in this global economy.

Not everyone is born into an environment that fosters education and health care and they should not be penalized, but be given the opportunity to do so.

If we can spend 10 billion dollars a month in Iraq, why can't we use that to better our country? Then some of these people would not be the ones that are despised, and would become productive citizens.

This problem is no different then becoming energy independent. It may be difficult, but we are Americans, and we can accomplish anything we put our minds to.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

I agree completley with everything you stated. I hope I didn't come off as anti-assistance. My philosophy is that until every single child in the US is fed and has a doctor and a school, then there is NO excuse to for sending money elswhere! Not in the wealthiest country on earth. But, at the same time, I see a lot of laziness, fraud, and misguided thinking that no matter how much we screw up, there will always be someone there to help you out. Sadly, it all seems to get pulled under the same blanket.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Except for just one member and one mod, the lib/dems seem to be blowing their chance for equal time on this thread.

Which proves a point I've been making on many other political threads - that beyond a couple of sound bites they may have heard on TV, many (most?) of Obama's supporters don't have a clue what Obama stands for (honestly, neither do I) or why they support him. The reason for no lib/dem posts here?

It would be sad and pathetic if our future wasn't hanging in the balance over this election.

[edit on 9/6/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
was this in his speech?:

hmm... still, my fav obama lines... so far!

obama: the "no smack" candidate!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
oh wait, i do have even better:

Obama Takes Aim at Palin, Hits His Own Foot

It's getting hard not to notice that the Obama candidacy is a farce. In his latest gaffe, the Obamessiah draws attention to his complete lack of qualifications by declaring — conspicuously falsely — that he's more ready for the presidency than McCain's VP pick:

Barack Obama contends that he is more experienced in executive matters than Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin because he has managed his presidential campaign for the past 18 months.

Speaking on a cable news channel Monday night, the Democratic presidential nominee said he is better prepared to handle a disaster like Hurricane Gustav because of his pursuit of the White House.

"Well, my understanding is that Governor Palin's town of Wasilla has, I think, 50 employees. We've got 2,500 in this campaign. I think their budget is maybe $12 million a year. You know, we have a budget of about three times that just for the month. So I think that our ability to manage large systems and to execute I think has been made clear over the last couple of years," Obama said.

A McCain spokesman observes:

For Barack Obama to argue that he's experienced enough to be president because he's running for president is desperate circular logic and it's laughable. It is a testament to Barack Obama's inexperience and failing qualifications that he would stoop to passing off his candidacy as comparable to Governor Sarah Palin's executive experience managing a budget of over $10 billion and more than 24,000 employees.

Someone had better program a couple of facts into Obama's teleprompter: 1) Palin is no longer a small town mayor, but Governor of Alaska; 2) He's running against McCain, not Palin.

There will soon come a day when only the most pathetic of kooks will admit to having supported Obama.

Source

i am certain i'd vote for "spotted owl" gore before this guy...

is this an elaborate prank the dems are playing on the american people?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Obama can be a spirit medium and contact the dead for us...

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes — and I see many of them in the audience here today — our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."

He sees dead people.

I guess that isn't above his pay grade.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

So because he wasn't a Senator and wasn't able to vote his opinion wasn't revelant?

Its easy to run around claiming you didn't support the war, when you didn't have to vote for it. Who knows how he would have voted if he had actually been a senator at the time.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Mine was when he said he visited all 57 States. The man stumbles without a TelePrompter. Why is st so hard not to see both candidates are the same? Obama and McCain have flip flopped on so many issues, how is that integrity? Obama voted YES to FISA, stripping our 4th Amendment, he wants universal health care, how exactly are we going to pay for that with the dollar being devalued? How is he going to fix the economy and the Federal Reserve system? His tax plan? His Iraq stance have changed with the wind as well as Iran. And we justify this by telling ourselves we have to pick the lesser of two evils.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

I'm not surprised about your desperate efforts to prove intelligent life on other planets because you are deficient of your own. Barack Obama is the only hope we have left in this country. You are so jealous and envious of him, not to mention fearful of what his election means to race and equality, that you would follow the "new" McCain (the old one from 2000 was awesome) and Sarah "Anti-Semetic, Anti-Civil Rights, Anti-American" Palin and their hypocritical points of view into war, famine, debt and humiliation. I am shocked by how many ATS members are this ignorant. Then again, that's how the government has been able to cover up everything for all of the years...you're too stupid

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join