It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pistol Crossbow - Cobra 80 lb assembly and test

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
reply to post by Northern Raider

Heck I have fired over 200 bolts with this string and the nylon cover over the centre of the string is just starting to crack, I think we need to try a few layers of heat shrink tubing like archers use. ? What do you think ?

You could always buy some Eastman flight rail lube which you run up and down the runners either side of the rail to reduce friction on the string. Or, you could do what I did for a wihle and simply use a little tin of releasing oil! I've seen some survivalist sites which say that butter or lard work just as well in a SHTF situation.

Thanks for the tip, currently I use Bohning Archery Tex-tite bowstring wax, its pretty darn good.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I like your thinking NR, I'll do the same, me dad (GRHS) had loads of shrink wrap in the garage, i think this will do the trick.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
I like your thinking NR, I'll do the same, me dad (GRHS) had loads of shrink wrap in the garage, i think this will do the trick.

Shrink wrap tubing appears to be normal fitment on Barnett strings, but not on the other make, fitting it perhaps two layers thicj should reduce wear considerably.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
hello there,

i saw this conversion done to the 80 lbs alluminum pistol crossbow.

www.youtube.com...

do you think we could disscuss and learn how to do the conversion ourselves here as a project?

i noticed there were a lot of good comments about bow strings and such, people here understand their crossbows.

it's a great little crossbow with ten bolt feeder magazine, great for compact spaces.

perhaps there would be enough idea and headfs to understand this conversion process. i am still looking for a feeder magazine design plans.

please could we put our heads together to understand this crossbow design conversion.

thanks.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

good call but with the cobra 80lb pistol crossbow there seems to be a different issue. ive got 3 different pistol crossbows and have been using them heavily over the last year.ive found that with my spitfire 80lb that the string lasts for ages and only gets wear where its contacting the bolt but with the cobra the string is hitting the the pulling forks everytime its fired which is leading to instant wear.i have seen models of the cobra with the pulling forks further forward so there is no contact with the string but i think its a bit of a lottery unless you mod it.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Can anyone recommend a cheap red dot sight for this crossbow? I'm not familiar with these rails etc. attachment points at all.
Also have you guys managed to destroy a string yet with wear?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Wow people... why pistol crossbows.. why not go with a full sized 150lb, 300 fps compound crossbow with scope...

Cobra makes a good one.. The MK250

edit on 25-9-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Thank you so much for the OP! Once again you guys answered all my questions and this time I didn't even have to ask...just search.

I'll have to get Springer to help me string this little puppy because even with your awesome instructions on how you got yours strung, I just don't have the upper body strength to pull it off.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I like the idea of a hand held cross bow. It's got enough power to do serious damage to a person. And likely to even kill a deer if you were to mount a broadhead on it. In a SHTF scenario it's people that would be your biggest threat. And the likelyhood of catching any game is pretty remote anyway. not only would most of it start to grow scares as people start hunting like crazy but even catching anything with a bb gun isn't easy. When I was a kid and I hunted tons, the amount of animals I catch with a bb gun were slim n none. If you had one it would have to have a scope otherwise there's just no point at all. Cuz the range isn't great and the power isn't great. If you're luckly you'd run around in the wood all day just to catch a squrrel at best. It's better than nothing I guess. I think ideally what a person needs to do if the SHTF is get there hands on a gun and ammo. As you'd have to in order to survive. The idea weapon I think would be a hand gun with a scope so you cold use it for hunting as well as a light weight weapon to protect against other moroders. If you can't get a gun legally then I'm not sure what someone actually thinks there prepping for. It's rediculous. for the record I don't own any guns but if the SHTF it's the people with guns that would have the best fighting chance. So if you don't have one then your first priority would be to try and get one at all cost. I mean really if the SHTF then it's gonna be kill or be killed. I'd hate to ever have to find out what that's like.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
At 300 fps why not just stick with a normal compound bow (Bowtech Insanity 350fps)?
Fast to reload and packs an equal punch.
The new Bowtech is insanely accurate....

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Most people are unwilling to put in the time it takes to become proficient with a vertical bow. Thay are just as fast and accurate as crossbows,and usually considerably quieter too, but they are far more difficult to shoot well. I can put a crossbow in someone's hands and in the course of an afternoon have them shjooting it well,as long as the range is known. Guessing or estimating range is a whole nother ball of wax that most people unfamiliar with archery fail to understand.

With a vertical bow, you need to practice a bunch to be ready to hunt with it. I see too many people who figure that since they can hit a paper plate at 20 yards most of the time,they are ready to hunt. Taking a shot at an animal,especially big game,adds a whole new level of stress to situation,and your shooting abilities tend to deteriorate quickly.

Longbows and recurves are more of the same-practice. If you can practice for a month with a compound to be hunt-ready, you probably need 3 months with a trad bow,if you are shooting at least 3 days a week. Not many people have the time or inclination to work that hard at something that they'll probablky never use. Therefore,the crossbow becomes an attractive option for them. Personally, having hunted with one for several years, it would not be my first choice by far, and a pistol crossbow would probably be left behind as not being worth it's weight to carry.

Handguns are notoriously hard to shoot well,and the pistol crossbow is no exeption.The ones I've handles and shot have had wretched triggers,poor sights and wore strings out in a hurry. I have a Crosman 1322 pneumatic pellet pistol,and while I have killed numerous grouse and squirrels with it, it likely would get left behind too. It simply is not an efficient enough of a weapon to be worth taking. Range is too short, too hard to shoot accurately,fails to anchor game reliabely. I'll take a small .22 rirle instead,or .22 handgun. Load it with CB rounds for small game and you not much louder than a pellet gun anyway. I find a short,light rifle to be far more practical than a handgun in most situations,so that's probably the way I'd go.
edit on 28-10-2012 by xxclaro because: spacing and spelling

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I dont think we can buy these in australia, they take all the fun out of life.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Nice job thanks for the review. Been thinking of getting a crossbow recently but had not considered the pistol size one but think I will look into it now...

I for the full size one I was thinking of a compound style so it is easier to draw but then there are more parts that could break the would need to be kept as spares. But still probably less then a rifle so have not decided need to try some first I guess.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

Handguns are notoriously hard to shoot well,and the pistol crossbow is no exeption.The ones I've handles and shot have had wretched triggers,poor sights and wore strings out in a hurry. I have a Crosman 1322 pneumatic pellet pistol,and while I have killed numerous grouse and squirrels with it, it likely would get left behind too. It simply is not an efficient enough of a weapon to be worth taking. Range is too short, too hard to shoot accurately,fails to anchor game reliabely. I'll take a small .22 rirle instead,or .22 handgun. Load it with CB rounds for small game and you not much louder than a pellet gun anyway. I find a short,light rifle to be far more practical than a handgun in most situations,so that's probably the way I'd go.

Not sure what handguns you have fired and found difficult but most problems with handguns is cheap inaccurate guns. A good modern handgun like a Glock or Springfield XD that is accurate most people can become proficient in an afternoon of shooting with a little instruction. Even older Smith and Wesson revolvers are extremely accurate. A decent quality gun is the key. Pellet guns are notoriously inaccurate so not a good example.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Regarding your Cobra pistol crossbow 80 lbs.,,,, I noticed you have 2 different types of bolts... the type where the bolt is half aluminum and half plastic... The OTHER type ,,which I really like ,,,is ALL aluminum which just 2 black flags inserted in the end of the arrow/blot....Can you explain where you got the ALL ALUMINUM bolts at...For a very long time I've been using those bolts of half aluminum and half plastic--with my 80 lbs. crossbow --- ,,,and they fall apart too easily... I notice that you mention the problem of the string breaking at the cocking prongs....Have you found a solution for that yet because I have the same problem..But I did discover that the string has to be twisted very tight before placing it on the end caps of the limb....I had to create a device made of wood ,,,,heavy 1/2 inch bolts and rachet tie downs to put the string on my crossbow...That is until I can find a portable restringer for pistol crossbows.... Thank you for posting your information on the Cobra pistol crossbow..It's been one of very few reviews that have actually helped.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join