It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who tampered with the bible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I have found references in the Bible to other books but these books are not included in the Bible. Why? I am wondering if my bible has been tampered with? Can I trust it? How many changes have been made? I have more questions now than answers. The search continues. Who changed my bible?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Emperor Constantine of Rome choose the books for the New Testament, leaving out others. I assume its more New Testament you are refering too?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tommy1963a

The Council of Nicea wasn't it? Under Emperor Constantine 325AD? Just a legend though I think.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

No, that's a rumor. I was just discussing this in another thread:

History of the authorized version

History of the "Modern" versions

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tommy1963a

who cares who changed it? it has been edited nevertheless. in every of these councils the removed something and add something. and then they say it to be 'word of god' may i laugh now? to orthodox there are very few books in modern bible which can be counted as original. but no matter what, there still is some truth in it. you just have to know what to read and more importantly how to read.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Eh, it is the biblical Canon and later by influencial political leaders of their time.

From the get-go the bible was DECIDED upon by mere mortals with political interests. Search for the gnostic scriptures to see what I mean. These were left out because they were TOO fanciful. In one of the gnostic gospels (The Gospel According to St. Thomas, I believe) there was included a tale of Jesus flying around on dragons. No wonder it was left out. But the tale about him riding around on a talking Jackass was left in?! haha...

Jesus likely was real, but these are fables. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
From the get-go the bible was DECIDED upon by mere mortals with political interests. Search for the gnostic scriptures to see what I mean. These were left out because they were TOO fanciful.

Yes, due the political and economical reasons. But I disagree that they were left out because of being 'too fanciful'. I rather would say that they were left out because they would've been "too dangerous" for the ideologies what some megalomaniacs of that time wanted to push through.

I mean, what kind of consumers we would make if we would be gnostics? Not very good ones! What kind of citizens, when everyone would be their own 'masters'? Not very good ones, no. I don't want to appear rude, but today's christianity is in it's lowest point and common christian is a mindless slave. They seem to forget that we were made as God's image, so we may perfect to become a god ourselves, meaning that we would be all Christs. Or how can you deny that you are not sons / daughters of God?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Sorry for the removal of that post. I misstated my position completely.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Grrr, I don't know why I link info half the time. Seems certian posters don't truly want their Q answered, but actually want to post a rhetorical question just for a reason to X.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think the Bible is a never ending story. So many dozens of people have changed the wording in the past 2000 years, it's a wonder that it even makes any sense at all.
I will admit though, it's one of my favorite science fiction books.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think you are asking the wrong question. Instead I would ask one of the two:

-Who hasn't tampered with the Bible?

or

-Was the Bible ever pure to begin with?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Honest advice: try posting more objective links as 'info'. I can hardly even open a link regarding the 'orginality' of bible when I see it referring to some christian sites. In theory they may contain objective information, but I guess I am such a prejudiced fellow, and I somehow think that I know your position in this matter, so I find it hardly worthwhile to even take a look.

Otherwise you're a good chap and I appreciate your effort to back up your beliefs. Take care and blessings of one.

Sincerely,

-v

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ravinsomniac
I think the Bible is a never ending story. So many dozens of people have changed the wording in the past 2000 years, it's a wonder that it even makes any sense at all.
I will admit though, it's one of my favorite science fiction books.

Why do you label it "science" fiction? because it tells us about areas of science sometimes centuries before the secular world discovered them?

My favorite fairy tale for adults is "Origin of Species".

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Honest advice: try posting more objective links as 'info'. I can hardly even open a link regarding the 'orginality' of bible when I see it referring to some christian sites. In theory they may contain objective information, but I guess I am such a prejudiced fellow, and I somehow think that I know your position in this matter, so I find it hardly worthwhile to even take a look.

Otherwise you're a good chap and I appreciate your effort to back up your beliefs. Take care and blessings of one.

Sincerely,

-v

Lemme get this straight... I have to provide "true" evidence about the Bible/Christianity from pagan sources?

Okay, fine, then when you want to present any information proving evolution you need to provide it from an Intelligent Design website.

Deal?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Always good to see intelligent, critical-thinking skills at work...oh, wait...I'm in the "Conspiracies in Religions" forum.

You know who you are.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion
Always good to see intelligent, critical-thinking skills at work...oh, wait...I'm in the "Conspiracies in Religions" forum.

You know who you are.

What department of 'intelligent, critical-thinking' skills do appeal to ridicule and appeal to authority comments fall under?

Or are you simply trying to up your post count?

Silly, me, I was taught those arguments belong in middle school.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Emperor Constantine of Rome choose the books for the New Testament, leaving out others.

No he didn't.

Neither Constantine nor the Council of Nicea had ANYTHING to do with choosing the books of the NT.

(Constantine's Bible is NOT the same as ours.)

It's just an urban legend endlessly repeated on the 'net.

Iasion

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to NOTurTypical

I guess that would be the same middle school which trains people to believe things such as "My favorite fairy tale for adults is "Origin of Species"."

Keep baitin'.

[edit on 9.6.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Who 'tampered' with the bible?

EVERYONE. And it's STILL being tampered with today!

"Inclusive language" - the latest bible tampering phase - destroys the meanings and the layers, especially in the Psalms.

Bible 'tamperers' also include Martin Luther who tossed out entire books and wanted to toss out even more (he HATED the 10 commandments, etc), but was talked out of it by his contemporaries.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion
reply to NOTurTypical

I guess that would be the same middle school which trains people to believe things such as "My favorite fairy tale for adults is "Origin of Species"."

Keep baitin'.

I went to a government school.

Secondly, I guess it's "okay" to 'bait' in this thread if it's directed at Christians as in the post I quoted above??

Gotcha, now I get big boy logic and decorum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join