It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain criticizes Russia during Speech.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
From last night speech:

"Russia's leaders, rich with oil wells and corrupt with power, have rejected democratic ideals and the obligations of a responsible power. They invaded a small democratic neighbour to gain more control over the world's oil supply," McCain said.

reuters.uk

I was watching the speech, and he says this, and I just couldn't believe it.

Not that he is wrong or right about what he says, that's totally irrelevant. Why on earth he would take a side swipe at Russia at this moment in that venue, basically calling them out with the whole country watching? It is dangerously and unnecessarily provocative and with no valid strategic reason . It is freaking diplomacy 101 stuff.

It is public knowledge that I do not support him, so if you see this post as an attack that's fine. But there's something dangerous about this man, if not by intent then by ignorance. Either way, that was a terrible mistake that should make even his most ardent supporters take pause and weigh Mr McCain's capabilities and look into his circle of friends.

He seems to be the shell of once powerful and proud man. So many of his positions have changed he is unrecognizable, and my uncomfortable suspicion is that he is now the reluctant but desperate talking head of the same dangerous people who've been running our country for the last eight years.

And this stuff is what he's supposed to be good at.

Sabre rattling that got him 10 seconds of applause barely, and now a weakened diplomatic position set in stone. It's a bloody embarrassment.

Then:

"I'll work to establish good relations with Russia so we need not fear a return to the Cold War."

Oh terrific, nice start!
Let me get Putin's number, I'm sure he has a couple of questions for you too.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

This was another point in his speech that I had issue with. It's these statements that bother me. It's the intent behind them.

Not to mention the hypocrisy behind the statement. What the hell does he think the leaders of this country are like?

They are rich OFF of oil wells that they have taken with the power that they are drunk with.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

Well said.

And let me say this now for those who are bound to jump on this thread pounding your chest with bravado and the flag on your head: Grow up!

This is a serious diplomatic issue that your internet courage will not remedy.

You simply don't do or say what he said for such little and pityful a reward.

[edit on 9/5/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I beleive he charcaterized the Georgia war improperly. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the way i see it they are simply preventing Georgia from taking over teritories that wish to remain independent. The USA wants them to take these territories as it allows them unfetterred access to a major pipeline.

So basically Russia is acting against a US backed aggressor. Didn't McCain say we need to stop wars of agression? I won't even go into IRAQ and our agression there. Mccain talks out of both sides of his mouth and in summary it appears that he believes the rest of the world should be held to one standard while we are held to a different standard.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Because there are many good other threads on the Georgia conflict, and we don't need another one here, let's just say this:

This is not really about understanding the region though that would certainly help.
It is about understanding the permanent, ever evolving, filled with variables, causality of diplomacy.

There is nothing to justify what he said and when he said it.
Especially if he is right!
It is a weak move.

And it has to make you wonder who is pushing the buttons. Yes he has slipped, but not that much, HE knows not to say this.

[edit on 9/5/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
To emphasize the point and to get back on topic:

The notion that we are locked in a new Cold War is the most dangerous misjudgment of all. That's what is driving Putin: He feels threatened and encircled by a NATO that, in fact, has no hostile intent toward Moscow.

Because of Putin's inability to escape Cold War thinking, the next president will face a serious Russia problem. Does America want a leader whose instincts in this new test are aggressive and confrontational, or deliberative and diplomatic? There's no obvious right answer yet, which will make this debate interesting.
washpost

How difficult can it be. Just never use the words "cold war". Ever!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
He didn't criticize Russia - he stood up to them.

Standing up to someone or something is something you flaming libs don't understand. It's why the Rupublicans have to do all the grunt work. You appease and get used at the same time over and over again. You create dependencies this way (i.e. Bill Clinton with his "China Engagement" policy).

[edit on 5-9-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

You have become so predictable that I pre-post my answers for you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or you can just look two posts above this one, though I know that's not really your style.

new topics

top topics

join