It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is happening to our kids? Violence at school.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklanser
Seriously though, I think violence begins at home. Kids learn by example. If they are smacked around and exposed to it at an early age, they emulate it when they play, and think it's normal as they grow older.

Exactly! Once the cycle starts the individual does not realize that they are doing anything out of the ordinary because that is what they were taught is normal behavior thus this behavior is past on to the next generation as normal behavior.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
This was reported today by AP. 17 year old Joshua Magee was arrested after he was caught with a small arsenal at school. His intention was to hurt everyone exept for his three friends.

link

This was the second incident this week in the heartland. The first was among 2 grade 2 boys.

What is happening to our kids?

Maybe the recent violence is a result of frustration with society and the way things work on our world in general? Maybe this is a way for kids to "protest the system" so to speak?

Or perhaps something is effecting their minds, without the awareness of the populace - some mind control device perhaps... like the infamous HAARP technology? Perhaps...

Let's not ignore TV, and subliminal messages in popular MUSIC that may exist. There might be stuff going on that we're not so aware of, and very often it IS.

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brittany
Well, whenI was young I wouldn't say I was a joy. I was extremely bright, so my curiousity tended to get me into trouble.

You say it depends on the child? Well, my friend Renae has 9 brothers and sisters. (yes, 10 kids in all!) and NONE of them were spanked. They basically were raised in the same manner I was. Were the parents for some reason lucky enough to have 10 well mannered babies? No, they just took alot of extra time and energy to put into raising their children non-violently.

for a child like me that wrote his name in the driveway with home made napalm and set it on fire, trust me. spanking was the only thing i'd listen too.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
Maybe the recent violence is a result of frustration with society and the way things work on our world in general? Maybe this is a way for kids to "protest the system" so to speak?

You watched 'Heathers' last night didn't you!?!

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think it depends on the enviornment you grow up in. If you experience fighting or violence a lot (I mean real violence and fighting, not stuff on movies or video games or music) you'll probably have a bad temper and you'll get used to solving problems with violence. There are a lot of people who experience fighting when they're developing due to the high divorce rate in the U.S.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
It is not directly the fault of television as much as it is the result of violence in the world. Every facet of society is saturated with real life violence. The anger that, growing up, children see in their parents about the world, the anger of people on the roadway (road rage), the anger of impatient people at the supermarket, at the mall.

This is from about page two here, awhile back.

I wanted to add that not only is it the violence in the world.
It is that life itself has lost its value. From abortion to car bombings, life just isn't as precious as it once was.
We no longer hold respect for the life of another.
Everyone needs boundaries. If you don't teach your kids right and wrong, they will cross those boundaries and end up in prison or dead.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam

You watched 'Heathers' last night didn't you!?!

No!

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklanser
Seriously though, I think violence begins at home. Kids learn by example. If they are smacked around and exposed to it at an early age, they emulate it when they play, and think it's normal as they grow older.

Exactly! Once the cycle starts the individual does not realize that they are doing anything out of the ordinary because that is what they were taught is normal behavior thus this behavior is past on to the next generation as normal behavior.

I see what you are saying but I think its really just the person.

I was raised around red-necked hill-billies and bikers andd spent the end of my teenage years killing ofverseas people and I turned out OK.

I think some people are borned #ed up and that is that.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
If your too controlling of your kids, they will ultimately rebel against you and there will be nothing you can do about it.

um, that is complete and utter BS. my parents, more my mother than my father, were very controlling. if you read one of my earlier posts, it stated how i didn't have such a great childhood and was beat often. but i didn't rebell against my parents. im not saying what they did to me is right, cause it sure as hell isn't. i would never do to my children (when i have them) what was done to me.
i believe that some control is good, but to a certain degree.....

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Statistically children are less violent, less likely to do drugs and less likely to get pregnant since the numbers have been studied. Quit being led around by your nose.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Aside from Columbine and some other school shootings, I think the real problem lies with the media harping over and over and over about kids in school.

From anti-bullying stuff on all the time to metal detectors, the media is there to showcase all of it in it's unsavory completeness (and more often than not much past the point of tedium).

Things only SEEM worse now than before. I don't think things are really that bad on the whole.

We should perhaps pull the reins a little bit back from schools being social monitors, and get them back to educating our kids to succeed in the work place.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
posted on 3/19/2004 at 10:11 AM BY Jonna

"Yes, lets encourage child abuse! Are you serious? Do you realize that the line between slapping a child on the behind and slamming that child through a door will blur if we were to say, "Sure go ahead and hit your kid if it will keep them in line!"

IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU, JONNA, THAT ARE THE PROBLEM!!!! You don't know the difference between abuse and discipline. Now parents can't even look at their kids wrong without getting reported!! Get your head out of the sand and face reality!!

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I really can't believe that there is level of ignorance here. Yes, beat your child and they will grow up thinking that it is acceptible to beat their children and so on and so forth. I can only pray, for the sake of your possible children, that the individuals with this sort of mindset do not have children.

I pray for the sake of the world the YOU don't have children!! They will just be another jerk that thinks the world owes them something and should never be told "no".

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Why kid's tend to be violent?

1.Rap music.Teenager's are still children,alot of them take music seriously just like a 5 year old does with it's new favorite cartoon.

2.The divorce rate in this country.I don't know the exact number's but I'd have to say 50% of parent's are divorced.When dad's not around that troubled 15 year old boy sure as hell isnt afraid of mom.

3.Lack of activities.I know when I was a teen atleast in my town in the early 1990's Law enforcement wasnt as strict as it is now.We were allowed to hang out in certain area's without getting harrassed/kicked out or getting arrested for smoking cigarette's and many other petty crimes.

4.Society.Again thing's like Rap music,the internet that exposes youth to thing's that they shouldnt see"Perverted sex/violence".Violent video games are another issue"although alot of adults disagree, but fail to realise that a teenager is still a kid with a fragile mind.Not just the Violent video games but the those stupid online role playing games that require you to disband yourself from society to play them for hours upon hours to get anything done,creating an anti-social personality.

5.Responsibility.Yes when I was 16, I did work about 15-20 hour's or so a week wich I didnt mind at the time.But todays teen's seem to work alot more"notice how alot of teen's have nice cars?Basically what im getting at is they seem to have more responsabilty these day's that create stress that alot of us didnt have growing up 15 years ago.

6.Drugs.There seem's to be alot more drug's nowadays.When I was a teen the main option's were Marijuauna,shrooms and occasionally '___'.These day's talking to my cousin and his friends is like talking to a pharMacist.15 year old's doing Cocaine,heroine,meth,extacy and all sorts of prescription drug's etc....I wouldnt even know where to get those sort of thing's when I was 15.I lived in a medium sized town in New Hampshire,that stuff wasnt around then but is now rather prevelant.

7.Guns.I myself have owned gun's and hunted since I was 13 years old and took 2 gun safety classes before I was allowed to get them.Today it seems that alot more kid's tend to have gun's"most of them Illegally".Most of these kid's probably werent broght up in a hunting environment such as I was considering not as many people hunt these days,parents that hunt tend to teach kids how to respect a firearm.Where as these kid's learn there firearm skills from video games/movies and rap song's.

These are just a few reason's that i think causes these kid's to lose it.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Guys,

it is not rap music, ownership of guns, movies and video games that are responsible for violence. It is us and the way we live.

The highest value of our society is money. Materialism is where the problem is at...the rentless hunting for more money, more glory, more everything has turned our lives into a race...we are not living any more, we are simply antagonizing each other...and that stresses people, and people react by taking a gun and shooting others!

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
Guys,

it is not rap music, ownership of guns, movies and video games that are responsible for violence. It is us and the way we live.

Ummm....Isn't all that stuff you just posted the way teen's live?My post is the way we live,society is messed up

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join