It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is happening to our kids? Violence at school.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Of course kids will rebel. It's a stage kids go through. But unless that rebellion includes something like murdering a person, I don't think its a bad idea. Parents need to be in control of their kids, and to me knowing that children will rebel is part of that control. You can control how they rebel, and know that it is a part of growing up.

Rebellious kids never get way too out of hand, so I don't see anything really wrong with that. They'll grow out of it, do you see how many phases teenagers go through?

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
i have had this disscussion more than once with my husband, punishment to some degree is good. but lets put it this way when i was a child, i was beat. and when i say beat, i don't mean a slap on the arse. i mean beat with a bread board, and picked up by my neck and slammed against a wall. now mind you i wasn't a bad child, most times i got introuble for arguing with my sister, or not cleaning my room. so when i go to have kids, there will be very minimal punishing from me, because i had to endure it as a child, and i wouldn't wish that on anyone, nor would i inflict that on anyone. i think a slap on the arse is good to keep a child in line, if they need it. (now i would never hit anyone elses child, even if given the permission, its not an option). or a time out, but never a beating. never ever a beating.

link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Originally posted by Fury
It's when you pull it to beatings that you make the mistake.
any moron knows the difference between whooping a childs ass and a beating.

Please step to the plate, grow up and accept reality.

Reality, my friend, is that different people have different opinions on what is an exceptible 'beating'. Do you really believe that all of the parents who abuse their children think that they are doing something wrong? I would have thought that with the frequent posts in the general section on things such as 'beating a child to death because he/she had the devil in them' you would be able to see that not everyone has the same sense of what is going to far as you. And the childish name calling really does not become you; it is best if you try to be alittle more rational.

lmao
I'm talking regular corpral dicipline.
you know the line, anyone sane knows the lines. so don't blur them.
anyone caught doing above and beyond knows those lines and is guilty of child abuse.
a crime.
simple, straight forward, and defined in law.
read it sometime.

link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
If your too controlling of your kids, they will ultimately rebel against you and there will be nothing you can do about it.

That's false. I assure you, as long as you're a kid, parents are the ultimate authority. They can do what they want with you. Keep that it mind, my young friend, before trying to rebel. Also keep in mind they're the voice of reason (well, in some case).

link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
Fury why do you feel the need to attack people you don't agree with? Why do you label anyone with a mindeset different then yours a liberal. I was not aware you hold the book of all answers.

dude take a pretty little blue pill okay.

By the way, I do not consider myself to have any political affiliation and as far as what I believe should be on the current topics ranges across all of the political divisions. I likiy the Chinese buffet!

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
Fury why do you feel the need to attack people you don't agree with? Why do you label anyone with a mindeset different then yours a liberal. I was not aware you hold the book of all answers.

dude take a pretty little blue pill okay.

[Edited on 3/19/2004 by nativeokie]

I do hold all the answers. I attack people that don't agree with me because they are wrong,
good enuff?

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Some of the biggest drunk and pot heads I know at school have real controlling parents, alot of good that did them huh?

My point is, you may be restricting them when you try to control, because its more likely that they will get out of drugs and alcohol without your help. When will you feel they are old enough to release them from your control?

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

By the way, I do not consider myself to have any political affiliation and as far as what I believe should be on the current topics ranges across all of the political divisions. I likiy the Chinese buffet!

not so much a political aperation but more of a mindset.
Reality is this.
I was diciplined as a child to know right from wrong. my parents tested me and took the time to raise me right.
hence i never shot up my school.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Some of the biggest drunk and pot heads I know at school have real controlling parents, alot of good that did them huh?

My point is, you may be restricting them when you try to control, because its more likely that they will get out of drugs and alcohol without your help. When will you feel they are old enough to release them from your control?

The same can be said of many schools, but I sort of think it depends on the person. My parents (well mostly my mother) were quite strict, and controlled me to a large degree. Yet I never drank until I got to college, I never felt the need to dye my hair black and wear makeup, or go out and vandalize stuf. To this day I've never smoked a cigarette or pot. So I don't think controlling parents=rebellious kid.

This may just apply to me, but it probably has a broader range of meaning too.

I was diciplined as a child to know right from wrong. my parents tested me and took the time to raise me right.
hence i never shot up my school.

Well said Fury.

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Faisca]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I do hold all the answers. I attack people that don't agree with me because they are wrong,
good enuff?

Thank you! I see your viewpoint and you just ended the need for me to debate this further with you. Saves us both time.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yeah, but there are exceptions Fury. I had quite unruly childhood and teenage years. Haven't killed anyone...yet...

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

dicipline is not just punishment.
it is also taking the time to inform the child that you
1. love them,
2. take and spend time with them,
3. don't try to control their every move, do it with tact,
4. look and adjust thier sphere of influence, i.e. thier friends.

my parents directed me into clubs and activities that gave me a good sphere of influance.

private schools, and public school programs, scouting, ROTC events, youth groups, summer camps and adventures.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

good enuff?

Thank you! I see your viewpoint and you just ended the need for me to debate this further with you. Saves us both time.

thank god

consession is the sign of a weak mind.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
Yeah, but there are exceptions Fury. I had quite unruly childhood and teenage years. Haven't killed anyone...yet...

all kidding aside, of course.
after i left good sphere's of influance, i decayed into rebellion. but this was after i was on my own, and even then i still understood the lesson's and values i was taught. the trick to good dicipline is to take time and do the best you can.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

after i left good sphere's of influance, i decayed into rebellion. but this was after i was on my own, and even then i still understood the lesson's and values i was taught. the trick to good dicipline is to take time and do the best you can.

I was never given good "spheres of influence." Actually. I was given the EXACT opposite. As I grew up, I was actually led to believe that a lot of the bad that was happening around me was good.

Wanna know where I got most of my values from? Televison and books. Those were my parents. Plus my imagination...

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I was never given good "spheres of influence." Actually. I was given the EXACT opposite. As I grew up, I was actually led to believe that a lot of the bad that was happening around me was good.

Wanna know where I got most of my values from? Televison and books. Those were my parents. Plus my imagination...

and see growing up i was given nothing but good.
so breaking out at a later age and rebelling was my "adult" decision.

so yes, i def had my times. but the values act like glue holding me on a decent path in life.
so i wasn't naieve, but i wasn't a columbine kid.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So how can you explain the differences in up-bringing between you and me, and the fact that we are not mass murderers?...

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

dicipline is not just punishment.
it is also taking the time to inform the child that you
1. love them,
2. take and spend time with them,
3. don't try to control their every move, do it with tact,
4. look and adjust thier sphere of influence, i.e. thier friends.

my parents directed me into clubs and activities that gave me a good sphere of influance.

private schools, and public school programs, scouting, ROTC events, youth groups, summer camps and adventures.

This is deffently the key.

Its more a matter of getting them the proper influnces rather than controling there every move.

And every child is different what works for one does not work for all, that is why IMO parents can do a hell of a lot better job than thew government in raising kids, one size does NOT fit all.

And for those that were abused my heart goes out to you I knew kids at school that came in with both eyes blacked on a regular basis. And back then they had no one to turn too either.

But most parents were like mine for every whipping I got I needed 10 more.......LOL

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

So how can you explain the differences in up-bringing between you and me, and the fact that we are not mass murderers?...

Because of leave it to beaver.
not everyone becomes a mass murderer, but everyone diciplined with the proper amount of time spent with thier parents isn't .

I mean come on, look at columbine. those parents didn't know their kids were #ing around with guns, and those kids had video tapes.. or checked thier assignments? that writing assignement that one of them made pretty much outlined what they were gonna do.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

good enuff?

thank god

consession is the sign of a weak mind.

Actually, I just don't want to waste my time trying to discuss things with a brick wall that refused to except that its ego might just be bigger then its intelligence. But feel free to comment on this post as you seem like the type of person that always needs to get the last word in for the sake of feeling superior. Good luck with that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join