It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is happening to our kids? Violence at school.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
primarily, alot of it has to do with the parents. secondarily, all the violence in the media that kids are subjected to nowadays aint helping as well.

sadly nowadays parents are doing a half assed job raising thier kids. they are too busy wrapped up in thier own careers and material wealth and leave thier kids to raise themselves. of course kids just can't raise themselves, so they have to rely on the media and are bombarded with violent imagry when there most impressionable without anybody explaining to them why violence is wrong. our education system isn't helping much either. thier idea of helping kids is sending them to therapists that will only dope them up on medication and cross thier fingers that it'll help. while i strongly oppose censorship of any kind, i believe that parents need to wake up and realise that thier kids need them for guidence and protection in these very crucial years of thier lives. its a #ed up world were living in nowadays our kids can't possibly make it in this world on thier own without becoming #ed up themselves.

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by mutehalo]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I think the major problem is that the parents are spending less and less time with their kids.

The kids gets more influence from exterior factors then from their parents.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I cant say who is at fault because I dont have a clue. We used to play army with B-B Guns and really shoot each other. Everybody had a gun and depending on the season we would even bring them to school so we could hunt afterward. Can you imagine a groub of Kids showing up at school with shotguns today? We had fistfights all the time its just nobody grabed a gun.

I dont know what changed, it has puzzled me for years

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I started a thread that is kinda in the same boat as this thread: school shootings and security

I think, as I posted in my thread that kids now a days get mad at other kids in school for being picked on or not being accepted. so they think that bringing a gun or whatever to school will solve their problems. There are a number of different places that kids see and read about guns, TV, Movies, Video Games, Parents, and many more. If they see someone else doing it, then it MUST be ok (in their minds). I feel that parents should crack down more on having talks with their children and get them to understand violence and how it isn't the way to solve their problems

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'm with Amok on this. My father gave me my first rifle when I was 12. THEN he taught me how to use it and respect it. If parents have guns in the house locked away, wouldn't it be better to teach your kids what exactly it is you have there, give them respect for this tool.

As for blaming society, have to along with that to a certain degree. Not neccesarily society, but LIFE, that has both parents working, or one if it is a single parent family, and then come home and try to catch up with what is happening in their kids life.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

There are a number of different places that kids see and read about guns, TV, Movies, Video Games, Parents, and many more. If they see someone else doing it, then it MUST be ok (in their minds). I feel that parents should crack down more on having talks with their children and get them to understand violence and how it isn't the way to solve their problems

I kinda disagree with this we had all the same problems back then and EVERYONE had a gun, by the time I got to Jr. High I owned several. I started shooting at about 6-7 years old and was a damn good shot by twelve.

They had more of a boys will be boys outlook on school violance back then too. Two boys fought if a teacher broke it up they took them to the gym and they boxed and that was that. I cannot think of a friend in school that I did not fight at LEAST once. From grade one till the tenth ( I joined the Army) I had at least 50-60 fights and was never suspended and only got swats once ( for fighting) You older guys know what swats were, our cure for A.D.D.....LOL

Every football game was a gang-fight but nobody brought guns (or knives).

I dont know what has changed since then.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
it was the same way when i was in school, boys will be boys etc, let them duke it out after school or whatever, i think it should still be that way, in some cases. but im just trying to make a point "Whats good for the Goose is good for the Gander" is the way kids see things now adays, "if he's doing why can't i" and yes there were guns and such before,

I kinda disagree with this we had all the same problems back then and EVERYONE had a gun, by the time I got to Jr. High I owned several. I started shooting at about 6-7 years old and was a damn good shot by twelve.

i had a gun when i was younger too, but now kids think that guns solve problems. when we were younger we didn't bring guns into school to solve our problems, as you said, 'we duked it out'

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

i had a gun when i was younger too, but now kids think that guns solve problems. when we were younger we didn't bring guns into school to solve our problems, as you said, 'we duked it out'

Thats my point...

I dont think its guns because they were more readily avalible when I was a kid than now.

I dont think people are more violient now than we were, fights are taken a hell of a lot more serious now than then.

I dont think its TV or Movies hell remember Gunsmoke? Old Matt killed about a thousand people......LOL

What is the problem?

I aint got a clue.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Collective consciousness? Years of people being driven into the ground by their leaders. Supressed by religion and idealistic morality and sexual tension through guilt.

Or maybe all the stuff we have been putting into the air and into our bodies is finally turning on us.

Or maybe this is natures way of further thinning out the population because it sees us as a flawed species...

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Perhaps the real question is why do some people 'act out' while others don't! Hell, I am probably the angriest (at the stupidity of the human race in general) person that I know and yet I have never gone after someone that I didn't like. I've shot various weapons during target practice as a child (8/9 years old at the earliest) and I have never even conceived to shooting any specific living being that I have had a grudge against.

So I don't really think that the question is "Why do kids shoot other kids?", but instead "Why do some children, when others do not?"

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
We have blamed media, society, parents, life, etc. for this but, now that I think about it, what is missing is RESPECT. 40 years ago people had more respect for each other. If we had more respect for each other now, you would see less rage due to the fact that you could step back, see that that person is dealing with the same things you are, be it driving whatever, and have a little tollerance.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Thats my point...
What is the problem?
I aint got a clue.

ok, so i think that we are on the same page,

geeze now im completely confused

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Ya know. I've had a theory, ever since watching an episode of Duckman, that if you fix the little problems in peoples lives, you will in effect fix the big things.

Like if deodrant actually lasted 24 hours. Or if lawn mowers started on the first pull. Those were from the show.

But this can be extended to so many small problems that everyone faces. They may seem trivial, but you'd be surprised just how much frustration and mental strain these things cause...

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
You know what's happeneing to our kids?

Liberal hippies making child discipline illegal. Kids need asswhoopins early on in life so that when father raises his voice, they know exactly where the line in the sand is.

Without that, you have young adults raising kids, yet they themselves were not properly raised. It's a horrific snowball effect that will only get worse in America.

And the crusty old white guys who get rich off running multi-million dollar entertainment companies aren't helping either. Pushing games of violence and music with negative and stereotypical lyrics onto kids in the 12 year-old age range....

Shame on them, and shame on anyone who is affraid to enforce household rules and manners onto their children.

Whether you like the guy or not, go pick up "The O'Reilly Factor" book and read "The Parent Factor" chapter. Seriously, put your damn ideology aside and read it.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Sarah, the point I was making is that life has become so fast, and such a mental drain, especially if you have kids, that we don't take the time to step back, give a person the benefit of the doubt. Something happens and instead of chillin and thinking maybe they're having a bad day too we just think # them, then we move on to the next frustrating thing, then things just build up to the point you don't want to give ANYONE the benefit of the doubt, you just want to curse them. A little bit of respect goes a long way. Learned that here, btw.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kramtronix
Liberal hippies making child discipline illegal. Kids need asswhoopins early on in life so that when father raises his voice, they know exactly where the line in the sand is.

Yes, lets encourage child abuse! Are you serious? Do you realize that the line between slapping a child on the behind and slamming that child through a door will blur if we were to say, "Sure go ahead and hit your kid if it will keep them in line!"

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The O'Reilly Factor? O'Reilly? Are you serious? You want parents to take advice from someone who calls people idiots, and repeatedly shouts, "shut up!" to people he doesn't agree with? You must be kidding, right?...

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's very simple.
parents are expecting that the government and schools raise thier kids.

Read you child a book, whip the # outta him when he is bad, and go to bed a good parent.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Jonna, have to go with Kron. on this one. Corporal punishment has its place. What is better, your child running into the road or a smack on the butt, sticking keys into a wall socket or a smack on the butt? I'm not talking about with a belt, or any other weapon, and I'm not talking about throwing them around. Also you should not need it by the time the kids get to be school age.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury
whip the # outta him when he is bad, and go to bed a good parent.

I really can't believe that there is level of ignorance here. Yes, beat your child and they will grow up thinking that it is acceptible to beat their children and so on and so forth. I can only pray, for the sake of your possible children, that the individuals with this sort of mindset do not have children.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join