It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activists Charged With Terrorism Under the Patriot Act at the Republican National Convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
It doesnt look like this has been posted yet, and man - this one sent chills down my spine:

The people who were raided on suspicion of protesting / rioting (but not directly - rather by assumed association) have been charged with terrorism under the patriot act. Outstanding, they claim this is the first time the patriot act has been used in this particular way.

1/3

2/3

3/3

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

right around 2:30, you can listen to the Ramsey County Sheriff refer to it as an "assault on the city." They also generically refer to them as anarchists, and thus implying that anarchists by default are violent criminals; while at the same time implying that anyone they decide to arrest, are anarchists.

That's just a nice way of saying domestic terrorist now I guess. Only time will tell. I'm not even sure it matters who the president will be, this is the future. If McCain snags it, there's obviously no questions it will just get worse from here.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a scary thought indeed. I knew quite a few people who protested a KKK rally in town here a few years ago, and to consider people exercising their right to assemble terrorists is insane. Does this mean they could be held indefinitely without legal counsel and/or a trial? I say we riot over this! lol

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Hell yeah, it's about godddam time these terrorist scum are held acountable instead of hiding behind the peaceful protestors who are protected by the bill of rights.
Another case of the protestor sheep who flock to these events being used by criminal home grown terrorists as a shield to do bad things. You cannot feel too sorry for the average protester though because the majority of them would cheer if one of these terrorist groups actually manage to blow something up.
The chance that any protester or other group will condemn these terrorists instead of the law is about as good as Ron Paul getting elected.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The futures here already, shame they do not do this to alex jones or stan monteith or something.

Murderers everywhere in power. lol

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Here's a video claiming to be the RNC Welcoming Committee,
posted October 2007;

What do people think they are helping by covering up and throwing rocks and breaking stuff?
It makes people disgusted with free speech protests.
It allows for agent provocateurs to look 'normal'.
Didn't they think that putting this video out would give the police doubt to their 'peacefulness'?

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Just another shining example of our "best Democracy in the world" at work and play.

I have always had problems with protesters who discovered they needed a new TV while marching down a street. Looting isn't protected free speech. I saw some national news with protesters breaking windows of stores. This isn't an act of freedom of speech, it's vandalism at the very least and an attempt to usurp the convention of a historic political party held dearly by a minority of Americans.

This is why they are terrorists.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
Hell yeah, it's about godddam time these terrorist scum are held acountable instead of hiding behind the peaceful protestors who are protected by the bill of rights.

did you catch the part of the video where none of the people arrested were actually involved with the violent protesters, they were simply guilty by association (but not because they were actually with them, but because they were also protesting).

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Activists...is that the same thing as a community organizer?

I guess since they don't vote, the only way to make their feelings known is to protest.

Protesting is fine...doesn't do much but it is fine. As soon as you cross the line from protesting to rioting...that is a different story, and I consider it terrorism, and it should be dealt with severely.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think there is a fine line that both the authorities and the protesters have to walk in these situations. I know it can't be easy for the authorities and I, for the most part, respect them and the work they do.

And protesters do get carried away from time to time and they themselves cross the that line.

However, this is going too far. We are not the land of the free, and it pains me to realize it...again.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I can vaguely remember all the spin on the news networks right when the Patriot Act was fresh. They were calling people idiots for thinking it would ever be used to label american protesters as terrorists. In fact, it has been used for such things since the day it was passed.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread Scientist! The patriot act is heinous and unamerican.
4000 plus american soldiers are dead. 100K to 1 million Iraqi's are dead (depending on who is counting). For a war that was based on lies. These peace and truth loving americans are labelled as "terrorists". I think it is apparent to any fair minded individual exactly WHO the terrorists are!!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

If you ever actually read a thread, you'd know that these people never participated in any violence or rioting. As usual, you read the title, came in and threw off some partisan banter without reading a word.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

What do you consider or what is the most accurate definition of terrorism? I would like to know what activities fall under terrorism and what activities fall under vadalism, what activities fall under public disturbance, etc. I would like to have your take on how to define what is terrorism and what is not.
Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Don'nt forget Kent State and the like. Everything old is new again.

Thier should remain no doubt of the future if the future simply repeats incidents that lie in the past.

I hope that we somehow regain our senses and allow the free movement of ideas (speech) to continue in the United States.

It would be very very sad to see this great nation that has tried to be a beacon of freedom to all become entroptic in nature.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
By the way peaceful protest is by far the strongest weapon available.

This is done via literature, lectures, education etc.

If a person is unaware of an issue then the issue does not exist to them.

One of the tougher questions which needs to be tackled within both Rep. and Democrats as well as those who may choose an Anarchist point of view is at one point to I become disobediant.

When I can no longer read or buy certain books?

Or is it when I am no longer able to express my ideas freely?

Or is it when I am lined up and guided into a chamber which may or may not shower me with chemicals to "delouse" me before I am processed?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
and now, reports that some of those arrested at the RNC were later "tortured" (quoted) while detained:

source: bravenewfilms.org...

[edit on 7-9-2008 by scientist]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

That's the most heartbreaking thing I've seen in a long time.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
Another case of the protestor sheep who flock to these events being used by criminal home grown terrorists as a shield to do bad things. You cannot feel too sorry for the average protester though because the majority of them would cheer if one of these terrorist groups actually manage to blow something up.
The chance that any protester or other group will condemn these terrorists instead of the law is about as good as Ron Paul getting elected.

Looks like our newest resident governmental agent has never read the writings of Thomas Jefferson. You've heard of him, right?

top topics

join