It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people still racist today?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

I wouldn't teach tolerance, I would teach acceptance. Tolerance is "I won't say that, but I'll still think that way." Teaching tolerance is only hiding the problem. The only way racism will be "killed" is by (technically) brainwashing people, drilling into their heads that skin color/ nationality does not automatically mean the people will be so and so.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuledBySecrecy
so it is ignorant people who call somebody racist for a dislike of another race, as these dislikes tend have roots

just because the racism has roots, doesn't mean it's no longer racism. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here.

It seems like you are just trying to give you family member a pass. They are indeed racist. If you answer a phone, hear a "chinese" voice, and then automatically form an assumption as to that person's character... that's racism! There's no way around it, no matter how much sugar you want to coat it with. Stop making excuses, and stop trying to redefine racism.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
usually beacuase of their parents or close friends are. as human beings we strive to fit-in to our surroundings, it is what we have been groomed to do.

Remember racism was still very common in the 70's and was used alot on t.v wich had a huge impact on the kids who love to copy there favourite shows.

Also it doesn't help when people are racist about there own race, like people calling each other *igga or ho*key and Cracker (n's editied out, but not in cracker as it s a legitimate word in other terms)

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
i agree with who ever said culturalism. people will tease u if ur country is communist or anything or if u slaughter whales for food. But i dont like people labeling u racist for everything like. if u criticize Islam for its wrong doings. and people will call u racist, if u criticize a religion less controversial like christianity u wont be labeled racist.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I cant answer for everyone, but why am "I" racist?
Well, I live in New Zealand, and even though the maori and pacific island populations over here are very low, they account for over 90% of our inmates, and our beneficiaries and our criminal statistics. so how could this be if we are all the same? A? Got an answer for that? If they are only 15% of our population, then shouldn't they comprise 15% of our crime? 15% of our unemployed? 15% of our drug users? 15% of our tradesmen? 15% of our our university educated? The answer is "yes, of course they should", then why don't they? Because they are different, they dont want to work, or be schooled, or help society, they want to rob, rape, do drugs, etc.
All other races that emmigrate here seem to fit in fine and do all the things that they should to be part of a society, it's only the blacks thats dont/wont/cant.
I am a racist because these other races give me no other option.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You might be wondering how anyone could possibly plan to vote for Barack Obama, an arrogant but utterly unqualified, inexperienced extremist who has spent his entire life surrounded by unsavory fanatics who hate America. For Gary Kamiya, the answer is simple, as he explained earlier this year in Salon.com:

I admit it: I'm voting for Barack Obama because he's black. […]

I believe that most of Obama's supporters are voting for him for the same reason. Like me, they're drawn to his idealism, his youthful energy, his progressive politics. But it's his blackness that seals the deal.

And that's OK. In fact, it's wonderful. […]

Obama's blackness is his indispensable asset. Without it, he would not have a snowball's chance in hell of being elected president.

It's OK to vote for Obama because he's black

Me? I prefer to favor actual qualifications... which is why I'd vote for Condi Rice over Obama any day of the week...

And not because she's black... blacker than Obama, I might add.

Hey! This guy's black! Why not vote for him?:

'sup, Tookie?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
People are racist for protection reasons. It is completely natural and a vital part of being human. Human's are supposed to be tribal, its instinctual. You are supposed to have the desire to protect your tribe.

So when one relatively crime free race (whites) is forced to live with a relatively violent race (blacks) which for example rapes the 1st race at 100x the rate that whites rape them. There is going to be 'racism.' Should the whites just sit back and take all the rape and murder just to look politically correct and 'sensitive.' Why is black on white genocide considered ok?

How come its acceptable to point out when whites do injustices to blacks, but when its reversed and whites are the victim and blacks the perpetrator we can't talk about it, either way we lose, either way we are racist. Its such a double standard. Is social justice only applicable to blacks? This country has some huge race problems rape murder etc

Does ignoring the problem give you a moral high ground? why am i the evil one for pointing it out? Political correctness and appearing 'culturally sensitive' is more important than stopping genocide I guess... Multiculturalism at all cost, no matter how many people get killed in the process...

google "Pat Buchanan - Brief For Whitey" for the statistics

Of course whites are afraid of blacks and for good reason. Its perfectly justified to fear those who commit an entire rape of nanking on you're tribe every year.

People are 'racist' for a reason you know... and it has nothing to do with skin color, it has to do with murder, rape, crime etc

Why is being 'racist' (pro segregation for the benefit of all races) a worse crime than being a rapist / murderer?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8

Ignorance.

Here's that required second line.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I think the reason why there is still racism in the world today is because humans are still a very territorial animal. Racism is likely the byproduct of the evolution of social group dynamics, which we see not only in ourselves - but elsewhere in the animal kingdom as well. Those we perceive to be outside of the norm of our local or established groups are seen as a threat to be mocked or attacked. This doesn't just stop at race either, but can apply to sex, sexuality, religion, politics, etc. This is something that's ingrained in us and I don't think it can be easily removed, or even can be removed at all. EVERYONE is racist or discriminatory to some degree or another, whether they like to admit it or not.

The best you can do is try to recognize this within yourself, and then try your best to overcome it or to keep it from hindering you and your interactions.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
whites and blacks are not equally racst ,whites have the gold medal when it comes to racism.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It all stems from the deepest first/original illusion!!!!!

The illusion of separation.

What a primary powerful illusion that is. So, we see differences, instead of likeness.

Technology isnt going to change much of racism, except thru things like education.

Our technology is developing beyond our evolution of love. That is very very dangerous indeed. If we dont evolve to be more caring.....we are gonna self-destruct. And thats that. But i dont know of the timing. lol

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I was reading a heartbreaking story in National Geographic once that a lot of art groups are frantically trying to save very ancient and beautiful art in sculpture in the Middle East that is not getting destroyed in all the wars. Not even just the Iraq wars, but all the civil wars as well. But a lot of people just freak out at what they don't understand. And mis-understandings happen so easily.

You mean to say, that the locals though the art preservation was an act of looting and vandalism? I can very easily see that being the case, and can understand why they would feel that way. Maybe one of these days they will look back at these works of preserved art and thank those who preserved it. The same way I can sit back and thank the Persians for preserving the knowledge and art of the Greeks and other ancient cultures when they would have been so happily destroyed by the Inquisition. This rediscovery of knowledge and culture is what ultimately led us out of the dark ages.

umbr45
---------

One example would be Americans on the xbox 360....Many a time they will start 'bashing' the UK players, I then join them and completely 'bash' the Americans. Yet a few minutes later I could be playing with an American friend.

I think you're confusing trolling for racism. Much of what you hear on there isn't really meant to be serious or a reflection of they feel - it's just random ****-talk to get on your nerves, arouse a laugh, or psyche you out before a game. I know I'm certainly guilty of making fun of people's British accents, but the truth is I love em. Especially hearing a woman speak with a British accent, it's very sexy I think. I'm sure as hell not going to tell you that if you're just a random encounter in the pre-game lobby though. I'll just blame the accent on your bad teeth ya limy bastard.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Lasheic]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Kids are very discriminating - because they are very insecure and need to constantly feel that they are connected to "normal" social group. Adults are the same kids, only a little more experienced,aware and empathic to others.

You have that backwards. Kids are by naturee not self concious, and not discriminating. This is all taught by the parents. You seem to imply that adults mimic children, when it's pretty much common knowledge that children mimic the behavior of adults. That's how it works...

That brings me to the answer to this thread: racism still exists today, because adults are still teaching it to children. I most certainly do not think that racism is some inherent belief system that you are born with. If so, let's just all call it quits now.

^ And that is the absolute truth!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Japanese NOT racist?

OMFG. The Japanese are some of the most racist people on the planet. Try being Gaijin and living there for awhile. Go to a public place pretending to be a non-Japanese speaking tourist and listen to what they say.

I've done it. It's not pretty. I went there to study their language (which I already spoke) and culture. I intended to stay for 2 years. I was back in 8 months.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Why are somecpeople still racist?

Because there still is free speach...
Becuase we dont thought police yet...
Because you can still think freely...

Because people CAN THINK what they want...

If people want to be stupid, so be it...
Thats freedom...

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Some English people really have a problem with Scottish people. I guess it's not racist, but it's certainly discrimination. I used to be a debt collector (worst job ever!) and the amount of anti-scottish abuse from some people was scandalous,

For some people it doesn't matter what you are or where you're from, they'll find some reason or something different about people to comment one. Some people are just like that unfortunately. I think they've got negative souls and really they hate themselves and their own lives. Instead of dealing with their own problems they direct their negativity onto everyone around them.

There's no excuse at all for being racist or discriminating against anyone for anything. No excuse at all. Stay away from any 'friends' that think like that.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The human animal is pack and tribe based. That is to say that we came from groups of like humans who worked together for their mutual survival and benefit. These groups shared like goals, ideals and laws. This is what we were and, I believe, continue to be.

As such, we are not "meant" to exist in a mixed society on a permanent basis. You can see much of the problem with this in local government. In today's world, you have people with very different beliefs and concerns living side by side. In the "old days", your neighbor shared your beliefs and concerns. In the "old days" it made sense to have a local government employee represent the interest of the "group" because the "group" had the same concerns. Today, the "group" is so mixed that a single representative can't represent them. Hense the problem with our society conflicting with the structure of government.

But back to the racism thing. I don't believe that anyone is truly "racist" in that they hate an individual because of their race. However, they may hate the individual based upon the extremely different beliefs, views, likes and dislikes their group has when compared to their own. So...again in my opinion...it is wrong to say a person is "racist", or a "jew hater" or a "woman hater". It is not about the race, religion or sex...it is about what they percieve that group to represent.

A simple example...a person who people call "racist" against blacks, would likely hate a white person if they acted, had the same beliefs etc. as the majority of black people. Know what I mean?

So...follow me for a minute here. If this country were to separate into "kingdoms" (kind of like states) of like people, with like beliefs, laws etc. Each "kingdom" would have a local government and representative. These governments and representatives would deal with other "kingdoms" for trade etc. but at the end of the day, each "kingdom" would exist on their own with little association with other "kingdoms". THAT...my friend, would work...as it did in the past. But today, our "kingdoms" are so mixed, that we share very few like views, concerns, etc. AND....

when an individual feels "everyone is against them" (eg. don't share their views)...they grow to HATE.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I think that most "racism" isn't racism at all. I know a lot of guys that just like the 'rough talk' and so they say the 'N' word (GASP), as well as 'cracker'. They don't mean it as racism and most people they talk to, black or white, don't take it as racism. For something to truly be racist, the person stating the remarks has to mean it in a derogatory way. Many people see others joking around and having fun and might pick up on something someone says and call it racist when it isn't racist at all.
We live in a society where:
Poo = G rated
Crap = PG rated (or is it TV-14)
S*** = R rated

They all have the same meaning. The meaning means nothing, only the way in which it is stated. And most 'racist' remarks are said in a joking manner with no hatred involved. It's easy to tell when there is hate backing a word or if there is no hate.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Ask the liberals why they are lying and why they're using double standards. If they wouldn't use double standards in the favor of any of the minorities and the minorities would shut their mouth for a life time instead of their eternal crying, there would be no "racism". But right now the double standards and the eternal lying is causing racism, which is not racism at all, just legal self defense of our own rights.

Here is an example, which will be cruel, but you'll understand it from here: It's like, when a guy of the Jewish community is stealing and when someone is opposing that, they're immediately calling the one who is opposing it as anti-semite and racist. That's not racism at all. The guy just don't like thieves. And he doesn't have problem with Jews, just with the guy who is a thief. But it's THEIR problem that they, the Jewish Community is not isolate itself from the thieves, rather supporting them and making the marketing circus in his favor to save his ass, to save a thief because he is a Jew. The same example may go for other minorities and majorities too (I just used the Jewish community as an example, because they did this few times here and there and they've asked... oh, my, why they're hating us. Don't make foul things, don't support thieves, don't cover killers, whose killed Christians, and no one will hate you. It's pretty simple.).

i.e. I'm not racist, but I hate thieves and killers, whose 99% is coming from the minorities and the other crying minority, Jews, are continuously covering them because they're killing Christians and that's good for the Jews. Do I need to love this? Definitely not. Is it racism? No, just I don't like when someone has no moral value. I hate all the Jews and all the minorities? No. Just those ones, whose are covering criminals and killing innocents. And this includes that around 2-5% of Christians, whose are guilty too.

I believe secrecy, hiding something, lies, delusions and double standards are the source of the so called racism, which is not racism, just the self-defense of our rights. If there would be no lying, there wouldn't be "racism" at all. If the criminals would be punished, if the media wouldn't cover criminals and liars, there would be no base for racism at all.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Sheridan]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
There will be racism until the end of time....

.... or until race is bred out of the populace.

Then we all become the same race.

Cheers, Fox.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join