It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. warship heads to Russian-patrolled Georgian port

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

The Russians provide arms to Myanmar, Zimbabwe, Sudan and Iran all of which are guilty of killing their own people. So the US can now go in all guns blazing and occupy the countries?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by theblunttruth

You're just not getting it. The Russians are the one's doing the peacekeeping. Any weapons brought into the country would be for use against the Russians. It has nothing to do with arms sales.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I perfectly "get it", the Russians shouldnt be there in the first place, just like the Americans shouldnt be in Iraq my friend.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

???
and the USA provides arms to nations like Pakistan , Saudi Arabia , Israel ,Georgia etc.. which are guilty of murdering its own people ,natives or inhabitants

[edit on 5-9-2008 by manson_322]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I think the Russians should board this ship to make sure that it IS humanitarian aid the US ship is bringing, The times that the US has boarded ships of different nationalities to 'check them' should be returned to them.
And is it me or does this seem to be a totally blatent attempt to stir things up against the Russians again from the warmongering US government?
all in the name of offering 'humanitarian' aid of course.
And the Russians WILL let it through un-molested because they wouldn't want to be seen as the agressors would they?
By the God's this situation makes me sick to the stomach, why can't they just say "We're angry at each other" and just get 2 guys in a room batter each other until one gets knocked out, and leave it at that???

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
USA ships delivering aid to Poti ,although controversial,to me is a good sign,A confrontation with Russia is simply not going to happen.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by all2human]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by theblunttruth

The Russians provide arms to Myanmar, Zimbabwe, Sudan and Iran all of which are guilty of killing their own people. So the US can now go in all guns blazing and occupy the countries?

Originally posted by manson_322

???
and the USA provides arms to nations like Pakistan , Saudi Arabia , Israel ,Georgia etc.. which are guilty of murdering its own people ,natives or inhabitants

please don't forget that the US has also supplied arms to the Taliban to fight the Russians , but hang on aren't the US fighting the Taliban now?
Wars the biggest business and it shows no sign of slowing. There's no profit to be made in peace, well not for little joe publics like you and me. (apart from our lives and aren't we grateful to our governments for that?)(yes I'm being sarcastic there)
Wars a bit boring now, it leaves no room on the TV for cartoons.

[edit on 5/9/08 by DataWraith]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Does anyone else think it's funny that this is happening at the "Port Of Poti" (Port-o-Potty)......

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Russian perspective on USS Mount Whitney in Poti (translated from the Interfax news agency via online-translator.com):

Riddle of NATO holds "Maunt Uitni", leader of the Sixth fleet of the USA, delivered to Georgia the humanitarian help, has risen on spot-check of port Poti Moscow. On September, 5th. INTERFAX.RU – the NATO Ships continue to plough water area of Black sea. So, the staff ship of Naval Forces of the USA "Maunt Uitni" on which arrival in maritime belt of Georgia it was informed the day before, has risen today on seaport Poti spot-check.

For Americans here, undoubtedly, waited and even have prepared for them a celebratory meeting. Mayor Poti Vano Saginadze has told to journalists that celebrations on the occasion of arrival of "Maunt Uitni" which, it agree to the data of representatives of the USA, has brought 17 tons of humanitarian cargo, will begin a bit later, at 17:00 Moscow time. For now there is a preparation for unloading of the ship which should be carried out from spot-check as vessel dimensions do not allow it to enter into port.

The further plans of stay "Maunt Uitni" in Georgia are simple enough – as the ship is a floating staff of the Sixth fleet of Naval Forces of the USA, he will be engaged in coordination of activity of the ships of the NATO which now are in the Black Sea water area. In the meantime, the Russian authorities have called into question competency of arrival of the American ship in region. "On the technical equipment the given ship is a vessel number of one USA of this kind in Naval Forces.

There is a question concerning conformity of"Maunt Uitni"to positions of the Convention on passages of 1936", - the official representative Russian has declared at press conference on Friday the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Andrey Nesterenko, having explained that in the mentioned convention the maximum tonnage coming into water area of Black sea of the military ships is regulated. Besides, Nesterenko has expressed doubt that "Maunt Uitni" has arrived for the purpose of delivery of the humanitarian help."

By these ships, certainly, there are holds, but the provisions are usually stored in them for crew, and also the subjects necessary for it in swimming. It is possible to deliver what tens tons of humanitarian cargoes such ship? ", - has asked a question the representative the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We will remind that it already the fourth American vessel which has arrived to Black sea within last several weeks.

Earlier two more ships of Naval Forces of the USA also delivered in region humanitarian cargoes, and an oceanographic vessel of the Center of sea transportations of Naval Forces of the USA"Pasfajnder"which have moored in Sevastopol, should take part in the joint Ukrainian-American project on search of a sanitary transport vessel"Armenia". Besides, in water area of Black sea there are three more NATO ships – from Spain, Poland and Germany.

(interfax.ru)

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by chips

So Russia`s threats of cutting off European oil and gas ,have gone Unheeded by the selfish/ or is it selfless U.S.A? So This Invasion of Russian interests is just another stab at the hornets nest with little respect for it`s So called friend`s in the U.K and Europe. Or is this meant as a provocation ,as We have already been driven into a recession by the good old US of A, and Us Here in the U.K would be pushed over the plummet, food, energy, e.t.c shortages. It would only take a matter of days before our energy, food, and water runs out. Your talking total chaos! Anarchy e.t.c...... What`s this? is it another way of instilling fear into the World at the expence of its Allies . Please see through all this Electorial deception! We are already engaged in World War Three and God Help Us all!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
So here's my response. The USS Mount Whitney has pulled into the Russian controlled port of Poti in a very "in your face" maneuver. So whats Russia gonna do about it? Absolutely nothing.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggyturbojim
reply to post by chips

So Russia`s threats of cutting off European oil and gas ,have gone Unheeded by the selfish/ or is it selfless U.S.A? So This Invasion of Russian interests is just another stab at the hornets nest with little respect for it`s So called friend`s in the U.K and Europe. Or is this meant as a provocation ,as We have already been driven into a recession by the good old US of A, and Us Here in the U.K would be pushed over the plummet, food, energy, e.t.c shortages. It would only take a matter of days before our energy, food, and water runs out. Your talking total chaos! Anarchy e.t.c...... What`s this? is it another way of instilling fear into the World at the expence of its Allies . Please see through all this Electorial deception! We are already engaged in World War Three and God Help Us all!

So the Uk economy is based off Russian imports? There shipping in food and water Im very surprised by this revelation. It appears your government is run by fools. I think id complain too if my government based are needs on the Russian economy wow. Now i know you cant be talking oil because the UK refineries actually ship gasoline to the countries all over the globe i guess your govt figures they have more petroleum then they need. I think if things are that bad might want to contact green energy. Oh and dont forget BP it does stand for British Petroleum only the largest oil company in the world please get your fact straight then come on back and we can talk. And i really had no idea of the food shortage since you are an ally of the united states We can start selling more produce to you instead of Russia since we are there largest suppliers of food You dont have as many people but Im sure we can work something out.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Day by day, bit by bit, i ma becoming more and more suspicous of the US's actions. Lets start from the beginning of this conflict, Georgia heavily bomb south ossetia killing many civilians and russian peacekeepers. Whats suspicious about this is that this happened on the opening ceremony of the olympics, a day to symbolise world peace. Georgia has already admitted to using cluster bombs which are foolish weapons to use. Russia retaliated by attacking georgia which in my opinion was called for although russia were heavy handed. Now i live in the UK and i was following this on the news and the bbc and cnn completely disregarded georgias actions and were focusing on how cruel russia were being. The US and Uk have done nothing but condemn and threaten russia for their actions and have made sure the rest of the world are on their side. Its all very fishy, these missile defence systems are getting closer to russia and now theyre on their doorstep in poland. A few weeks ago a us,british and french war ship was practising blocking of irans ports in the persian gulf in front of russia's eyes and now this. It's very very suspicious!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
anyone else noticed the demise of reports on georgia in the mainstream news?

is it being kept hush hush as amerika slowley moves in?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

I heard about the cluster bombs from someone and thought that they must be mistaken as they are illegal to use now,(or a global treaty has been signed to stop using them)

anyways i think that it is despiciable to use a condemmed weapon that can have terrible implications even after the war is over, it takes years to clean areas that have been hit hard with these.

[edit: star for you, a fellow monkey
]

[edit on 5-9-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The reason question is, why isn't this aid going to South Ossetia? They're the real victims of this conflict, and military actions of Georgia. Disgusting.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Blacknapkins

they where just tool's to build up tension between Russia and amerika, amerika doesn't need them now.

btw, for some reason your avatar pica reminds me of the guy in the S.A.S, who set off a blast at the infamous embassy siege in the UK. I don't know why...

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Probably as many as have been killed by US made weapons and explosives.

No, the AK-47 has killed more people than any other weapons system. But you're right about it not just being the Russians handing them out....

The back story manages to be both odd and unsurprising. Russia’s anger is at the United States, a potential customer that has become, once again, a premier distributor, handing out the weapons to indigenous police officers and soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq. The United States was also a bulk purchaser in the 1980s, when it supplied mostly Chinese and Egyptian Kalashnikovs to anti-Soviet insurgents in Afghanistan.

www.nytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join