It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC Switch-on Fears Are Completely Unfounded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   

LHC Switch-on Fears Are Completely Unfounded

www.sciencedaily.com

The Safety Assessment Group writes, “Nature has already conducted the equivalent of about a hundred thousand LHC experimental programmes on Earth – and the planet still exists.”
The Safety Assessment Group compares the rates of cosmic rays that bombard Earth, other planets in our solar system, the Sun and all the other stars in our universe itself to show that hypothetical black holes or strangelets, that have raised fears in some, will in fact pose no threat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Thoughts? Honestly, I think there is a valid point made in this article. I really don't think the world will come to an end due to this...

www.sciencedaily.com

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Well the natural reactions they are talking about are in the Earth's upper Atmosphere and there is a bit of difference as they head out into space at close to the speed of light.

The one in the LHC will lose most of their velocity in the collision and if we are unlucky sink to the centre of the earth and eat it.

Our best hope is praying Hawking Radiation exists even though its just a guess at best.

Lets hope he's right.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
There is more energy smashed into the earth everyday, that this machine will use.
Its absurd to think it would do any harm.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Allow me to provide the two answers you will get here on ATS:

1)
"Your right, all this concern about the LHC destroying the Earth is un founded, only the doomsayers here on ATS are blind to that fact and the evidence supporting it."

OR

2)
"The safety assessment group? how are they any better than the Physicists at predicting what they already admit they don't know for sure...do they think we are dumb enough to believe that just because they have the word "safety" in their name means we can trust them? I can wait to see the comments on ATS by those who just believe everything they hear"

[edit on 5-9-2008 by DisabledVet]

[edit on 5-9-2008 by DisabledVet]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

Haha, could you not decide which side to take so instead thoughtt, 'Hey I know, I'll take both sides, that way everyone's a winner.'

But on a serious note, I know what you mean, you could pretty much script the reactions to a topic like this. With something like the LHC it doesnt matter, they are going to do it anyway and were either all gonna die and it wont matter or we'll live and it wont really matter.

I myself am all for it. sure it could go terribly wrong but none of us will live to see the outcome, probably just one day, doing your shopping when everything goes black, then whatever your religion or belief kicks in. Wasn't the first reaction to this going to be that it could open up a wormhole that future generations could use to time travel through, or was that tabloid garbage?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Oppenheimer before he detonated the first atomic bomb said he didn't know if the world would end when it went off, and it didn't.
The same will be for this collider. it'll be billions spent well in finding out that they don't really know a lot .
They'll figure out that their experiment didn't work as well as they'd hoped it would so they'll decide to spend more billions on building an even bigger collider and then we'll go through the same old arguments. It's the end of the world, doom and gloom. etc.
Atoms smash into our planet every second and the Earth is still here. we've more chance of getting roasted by a huge solar eruption than being sucked into a blackhole of our own making.
Besides if we DO get sucked into a blackhole who's going to care?
I for one won't, I'll be dead but at least I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong in the afterlife....

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Does it bother anyone else that every time you see one of the scientists on TV claiming it's completely safe then in the next sentence saying it's a jump into the unknown and they don't know what is going to happen.

Not to mention the fact that the Scientists all look like their about 100 years old anyway they haven't much to lose in this at all.

On the Bright side though I think we have until next year sometime before they do anything risky.

Personally I hope it goes well and humanity benefits from it but I think it's unlikely when it comes to particles the weirdness factor goes out the window ie being in 2 places at once etc.

I'm also more concerned over Strangelets than the Black Hole thing honestly at least the Black Hole shouldn't be instant it might be decades before we even realised we had let one loose.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I put a couple of good links to this in another thread about LHC black holes.

ats black hole

the infos from physorg.com

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

Once they switch that puppy on and power it up fully, well, I think those scientists operating it will find themselves on the moon or blasted to eternity. But, this being said, I am not convinced they can blow up the planet with it.
There will probably just be a crater there where the device was.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by son of PC]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
Well the natural reactions they are talking about are in the Earth's upper Atmosphere and there is a bit of difference as they head out into space at close to the speed of light.

The one in the LHC will lose most of their velocity in the collision and if we are unlucky sink to the centre of the earth and eat it.

Our best hope is praying Hawking Radiation exists even though its just a guess at best.

Lets hope he's right.

ROFL I was about to say that word for word.
GJ saved me some typing

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I wonder if some of the escaping strangelet particles created during the collisions will create a 'radiation signature' that could be detectable far from earth...in a similar way to the plot in the Trek movie 'First Contact' where the Vulcans detect mankind's first warp-engine signature and deem that we are now technologically worthy of contact

...live long and prosper!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

just think of he massive carbon footprint this baby will create and therfore global warming, natural disasters and the death of the planet as we know it

is al gore out protesting?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Honestly they have no idea what this thing is going to do or what the effects are going to be.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Once matter is set in motion in space it never stops or alters it's course until there is an interruption in its traveled path. I just hope that interruption is not detrimental to life as we know it.

It would be our luck ET would come down to earth and kick our butt’s for throwing a rock at his house. Hahahaha

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal

Lets hope he's right.

You obviously have no physics background

I can't wait for this thing to turn on, so that people will shut up about it being the end of the world, and stop threatening scientists...and so we can further progress our understanding of the universe. Are people more scared of death, or more scared of truth? Because the only thing that is going to happen is an unveiling of truth, though we'll have to study a while to find it.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sqid4life
Honestly they have no idea what this thing is going to do or what the effects are going to be.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Once matter is set in motion in space it never stops or alters it's course until there is an interruption in its traveled path. I just hope that interruption is not detrimental to life as we know it.

It would be our luck ET would come down to earth and kick our butt’s for throwing a rock at his house. Hahahaha

The LHC is not the only particle accelerator in the world, so your "point" is unfounded.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry

Thoughts? Honestly, I think there is a valid point made in this article. I really don't think the world will come to an end due to this...

www.sciencedaily.com

Correct, the world will not come to an end due to this collider going online and the scientist conducting their experiments. The collider simply re-creates what happens naturally, everyday, every where, all around you.

The reason for building this big machine is to be able to have sensors and monitors set up and active, pointing at the exact place and time when one of these collisions occur, in the hopes of recording the event for the purpose of scientific research and data collection.

To observe the collision! To record the event!

To those who continue to respond to your post, as well as the many other similar posts that have all already quoted the facts with a generous supply of documentation to this effect, but still insist on NOT reading those facts while they continue to propagate senseless fear in a baseless refute, perpetuating a hoax or at the least, disinformation in the form of a doom-sleuth mentality.... there is no boom, no boom today, no boom tomorrow, no boom!

(I feel like adding the line..."now go clean your room and stay off of daddy's computer", but that wouldn't be right, would it?)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

The LHC is not the only particle accelerator in the world, so your "point" is unfounded.

Correct there are other particle accelerators in the world. The largest until CERN was about 3K in size. CERN is 27K. That is a considerable difference. "Unfounded" I think not. We will see for ourselves soon enough.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by sqid4life]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
We all know what's gonna happen it's gonna open portals for aliens to come in to earth like Half-life.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   

There is an interruption.They are smashing particles into each other.
The reaction almost instantly ends up as nothing as all the energy and matter is used up.
They just want to photograph this to find things that happen while this happens.
The reaction itself is on an extremely microscopic level.
It doesn't create anything.Its like a simulation.

top topics

join