It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So the S(kinda)HTF...Lessons Learned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
We are just getting power back on 5 days following Hurricane Gustav here in the Southern Louisiana, USA and I realized that I am not ready for a real SIT-X SHTF TEOTWAWKI scenario. I managed fine for the most part...we had power from a battery inverter and a gas powered generator so we managed to keep most of our food and few lights and a fan. We stocked up beforehand on food and I had a couple gallons of gas for the generator. I am not a full fledged survivalist, but I am heading in that direction especially now. I was prepared for the 4 hour gas lines and waiting 8 hours for a 1 blue FEMA tarp, a box of MRE's, and 4 bags of ice but...the situation was just miserable. Not because of the lack of grid power or the limited menu but because of the people around me. Negativity is worse than the actual situation. I was prepared mentally for the power to be off for good and I probably could have survived, but the people who evacuated from further south to stay with me made me miserable. Complaining about everything and anything even though we had it better than most. I have discovered that being prepared for a real emergency is not about what you actually have in storage so much...but it's really about what you have in your mind. You have to be prepared for the worse with an 'it is what is' attitude while brainstorming every possible way to improve your situation and if not, STFU and get over it. In other words, if I am in a real SIT-X/SHTF scenario and I am hungry and I have a single round of ammo left and there is a nice size deer 50 yards in front of me and a whining, griping, complaining leech of a person 2 yards behind me...the last round goes into the latter.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The real secret is .........most people do live......its the fear you must conquer and reject from the situation. Stupid people can be easily entertained. toss them some cheap entertaining things so they stay out of the way.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by M_Aurelius

Glad to hear it wasn't as bad an experience as it could of been. There's been many threads on here started regarding the survival mindset/mentality and I agree with you as I'm sure most people on here will aswell.

Survival really does begin in the brain and its all about being mentally prepared and making the best of the situation around you. Try and not let other people being negative affect you, although I understand what you mean and I hate people moaning at the best of times nevermind a survival situation.

Anyways, its good to hear that you've learnt a valuable lesson

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Starred..
Yeah psychology plays a huge part.
Being around miserable pessimistic people will sap your mental strength faster than you can believe..Yet all it takes is one positive person to lift the spirits of a large group of 'uncertains'

At least you experienced first hand on how much you can expect the Gov to help you out..and you were lucky.
Keeping around a $40 tarp a small water purifier/tabs and a few dehydrated meals would ensure you are not totally reliant on outside help..So when it stops coming..no big deal.

Best of luck heading back
and watch out for Ike.. I think he's going to be a lot bigger than Gustav.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
1 star for you AT

The most important thing to have is spirit and willpower.
What Agent T said is very true.
Keep clear of people who will cling and sap your willpower, energy stealing is a very real thing. Most of it passive thankfully though.
An example would be telling people your plans and all of them mocking you / dismissing them. You'd feel drained and a bit disheartened, maybe even abandoning your plans. So steer clear of them where possible.

But one thing that really can work whether you are drained or not is music.
Yes, good music can have a profound affect on a persons psyche and . Everyone has their own preferences but for me the best is instrumental, uplifting music. Lyrical music is ok but nothing beats a piece of music your imagination can catch onto and ride.
In SitX power to your music player of choice may be lacking.
For getting in the mood to catche, prep and do stuff there is little better than a good tune groovin' to get the blood pumping!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Thanks you all for the good advice and words of encouragement. Agent T, you are right I could have easily become a positive influence on the whiners.
But they were sapping my spirit...

Now that the lines have died down a little, I'll go back a get a couple tarps/MREs/bags of ice for Ike or the repersussions of the Freddie/Fannie bailout
and do it all over again...this time...negativity will be checked at the door.
Thx again,

M

new topics

top topics

join