It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain speech discussion, before, during, and after

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
I just wish some of his handlers would explain to him that there is no R in Washington. He always pronounces it Warshington, which is irritating to me, and I'm not even from the USA.

New York has an R but sometimes it seems that New Yorkers skip the R altogether.

The U.S. is a big country. There are east coast accents, southern accents, western accents, country accents, west coast accents (yea i don't know how, but people in Australia can tell I am from L.A.) , ebonics, etc. If you live in the U.S. and traveled around , you will really notice the difference on how people can speak what is the same language.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well McCain spoke last night, and I'm a long time McCain fan. Unlike Obama and Palin, speaking with a teleprompter has never been one of McCain's strong points, but he always shines in the townhall forum. So I thought McCain did pretty darn good.

And the enthusiasm of the audience was so heartwarming. I was so happy for McCain.

I was also impressed with how he handled the protesters who disrupted his speech. I would not have been so kind - especially knowing that they had no right to be there. Ditto for the audience, who did have every right to be there. But as my husband said, in the end, the protesters just made McCain look better. Of course not everyone would agree, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that those people would never vote for McCain anyway, so it's a moot point.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
thank you to all the McCain supporters, who will no doubt make the same mistake as they did in 2000 and 04. Then you can all complain about how McCain is doing the same as bush 09 through 12. Thank you once again

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutone

Originally posted by sensfan
I just wish some of his handlers would explain to him that there is no R in Washington. He always pronounces it Warshington, which is irritating to me, and I'm not even from the USA.

I grew up in maryland very close to wirshington it is local dialect for example Baltimore is actually Ballmore ask anybody in Maryland.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well the republican stragegits have clearly ordered Palin to be the attacker of Obama and have suggested McCain should not attack him for strategic reasons. Probably because Obama went out and actually defended Palin against the media attacks on her family situatíon, they think there won't be any democrat answer from Palins flaming.

They chosed Palin because she is hard to attack, she's just an average pretty good looking hockey mom as she herself states. Look at her politics though, it's still George W Bush, right wing conservative.

I think the America people are smarter than falling from these tricks though. People want real change.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electricneo
reply to post by Bunch

According to those soldiers who were there with him-he didn't keep his
composure but gave up top secret info to the enemy. He is anything but
composed-he has a reputation for losing his temper and he lacks inner
peace. He has called his wife the c-word in front of reporters. He's in
a constant state of inner turmoil. Colonel David Hackworth who served
in Vietnam said (when McCain was running in 2000) that he is not a
hero to corageous soldiers that he is merely a "survivor".
That's a quote from a Colonel that saw constant combat.

McCain dropped napalm on Vietnamese
children and woman-that's not a hero that's a satanic demon.

===========================================
Mmmmm, Was wondering when someone was going to speak up on this topic.
My feelings are the same. McCain is no hero but a prisoner for five years. If you do some research in to this like I did you'll find out some facts

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by merky

composure but gave up top secret info to the enemy.

The arrogance and ignorance of that statement amazes me.

Anyone that knows ANYTHING about real torture knows that EVERYONE breaks eventually. Not a few, not some, not most, but ALL break given enough time and enough torture.

McCain even mentioned the shame he felt when he broke in his speech.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

McCain even mentioned the shame he felt when he broke in his speech.

EXACTLY!!!

And unless YOU have been a POW and have experienced it first hand, how DARE you sit in judgement of someone who suffered the way McCain and others did.

It is very disturbing and highly disheartening that some of you can make the comments that you make.

I am certain that at some point in your lives, you have 'broken' under FAR less pressure and much nicer conditions.

You should be ashamed of yourselves for passing judgement on anyone who has been through something that you will probably NEVER have to go through.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It was the right speech at the right time, masterfully delivered, and when it comes to leadership, being able to do the right thing at the right time in the right way is the most important aspect. This is what McCain has done every step of the way throughout this election cycle. Like a well timed machine, he annouced his surprising Veep just in time to completely steal Obama's thunder following his big moment acceptance speech. The GOP convention started out with another hurricane hitting New Orleans, just what they didn't need to remind the people about, which totally threw off their schedule. Still, they pulled it together. McCain's brilliant choice for Veep grabbed the spotlight like she was born for the moment, and just when it looked like she was going to overshadow McCain and steal the show, McCain delivered the speech of his life.

The DNC on the other hand stumbled through their convention. Constant gripes about the Clintions spoiled the whole event from the beginning. Bill Clinton should be the most respected politician in the DNC, being one of the most successful presidents in U.S. history, but these elitists got their noses too high in the air to pay attention to such details. Obama's Veep selection made a speech, I think, but no one paid any attention. Then came Obama's big moment, and he gave his speech in front of giant plactic columns, like some ancient greek god or something. Think maybe he might have a complex? Then Obama spent the first fifteen mintues attacking McCain like the rookie he is. The Presidential candidate is supposed to be presidential, gracious, not the attack dog, that is supposed to be the Veeps job. I guess McCain should have selected a running mate that someone will pay attention to.

Evey step of the way throughout this election cycle, McCain had done the right thing at the right time. He cleaned up in the primaries, when no one thought he had a chance. He picked maybe the only candidate in the GOP capable at this time to give him a chance to win this election, and he did it at the perfect time to steal Obama's thunder. His new running mate then delivered an awesome speech, re-invigorating the entire party. It looked like McCain's running mate was going to overshadow him, and then just at the right moment, he delivered the speech of his life.

McCain came off as modest, human, genuine, as a man of the people. I'll take this over soaring rhetoric from some greek philosopher wannabe anyday.

More than ever McCain reveals himself to be the leader that we need at this important junction in our nations history. I'm looking forward at watching McCain kick Obama's tail in the debates, where Obama has consistently fallen flat, and McCain tends to be at his best.

By the way, anyone wanting to know McCain's stance on the issues can always go to his web site and read them. The truth is the man is a moderate, and has great positions on the issues.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by merky

reply to post by Bunch

composure but gave up top secret info to the enemy. He is anything but
composed-he has a reputation for losing his temper and he lacks inner
peace. He has called his wife the c-word in front of reporters. He's in
a constant state of inner turmoil. Colonel David Hackworth who served
in Vietnam said (when McCain was running in 2000) that he is not a
hero to corageous soldiers that he is merely a "survivor".
That's a quote from a Colonel that saw constant combat.

McCain dropped napalm on Vietnamese
children and woman-that's not a hero that's a satanic demon.

Well I don't know how he gave away secrets anything he knew when he was captured was obsolete after 3 days codes change frequencies etc. And if you listened to his speech he mentioned after a beating he received he told them what they wanted to hear and another prisoner told him it was ok it happens continue to fight. They were not trying to get information from them they were trying to get them to believe there ideals. That is the reason torture doesn't work you break enough ribs they tell you what ever you want to hear He flew an a4 sky hawk no secrets there and to address this didn't drop napalm could have used either Zuni rockets of 500 pound bombs but that was to hit a target not ground personnel. Oh and am definitely not a republican but I just cant stand this trend of people thinking its kool to trash military there all baby killers etc. It is sad that the people that defend your rights to say these things have to be treated that way Being against war is fine hell I don’t think iraq should have occurred but anti war protesters are really taking things too far. ya know on second thought maybe I will have to vote for Mccain.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Very well said.

On drudge report there is a headline that the Republican convention was the most-watched convention EVER!!

No doubt, Obama is a tad nervous these days. (And as we can see here on ATS, so are many of his supporters!)

Jemison

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join