It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC4's Big bang night

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Tonight is big bang night on BBC4 and at 9pm GMT there is a program about the LHC....called "the big bang machine".
They go inside it and have a look so, check it out if you can.

If you can't watch tonight then you can catch in the next few days
HERE

[edit on 4/9/08 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Oh i do like my ufos and many alternative subjects, not an expert, not even close lol, just very interested and have been for a long time.
If you're serious though, i would say give Internos a shout, he really know his stuff and lays it down very well.
Although, there are probably enough sites out there....hmmmmm, i dunno...

Yeah, no customers, no mods.....how sad we are....

Did you watch it then?
Good eh.... i like how they said at the start that religion had created an elaborate theory for how everything had come into being and so had science.... but science is going to test it's theory.
Was good to actually hear something other than doom and gloom, although the guy basically said that they don't really know what will or could happen during the collisions.....this is truly experimental science, and i'm glad to be around at this time

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Also, i just worked out why we've had no hits/responses/comments!
It's because we didn't say that the world is gonna end.

The title should have beenBBC4 show tells how the world will end or...

Mad scientists threaten to blow the world up!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I myself doubt anything barely exciting will happen except we'll get to see how hot HP's Petabit routers get, as for the first doc and that guy from the 70's was going on and draw some crud graph about space and time and particle appearing at different stages of time. I've always thought that since time and space are connected that when you compress space into such a small point (like the big bang) time doesn't exist and so at the point that time did actually come into play, the universe already existed in a way.

oh well ramblings.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
To me the most concerning thing that i saw on the doco about the LHC was there mere fact the scientist explaining it all seemed far to happy with himself it was rather disconcerting, other than that it was a decent nights entertainment.
Also are they repeating it all next week or is next wedensday a different big bang schedule?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I know what you mean. Going by recent trends of cataclysmic events having less effect than a worm farting. Last week it was, Oh, Hurricane Gustav is gonna wipe new Orleans off the map. Certain people asking 'Is it time to wipe New Orleans of the map?'. But what happened? Some weak blustery ass wind the likes of which we have most days in the Uk. Though the idea is quite thought provoking. I have the sneaking suspicion that sod all will happen. Were just not that exciting. I wish we were

[edit on 9/4/2008 by Matt.Trakker]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I don't think much will come of it either..

And i know what you mean about the time thing, very paradoxical.
It hurts your head to think about the big bang or specifically before, what caused it..the spark?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

i know what you mean, he had a kind of twisted look when describing the unknowns of what may happen....
But was good to see it and see what the plans are and what they've been doing, i've read up on it but it was a well put together doc....very enjoyable.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Im just waiting for it to become available on the BBC iplayer, but yea, it sure is a good time to be alive to witness this amazing experiment. It could provide us with a lot of answers to current scientific theories and open up new technologies, or, if the people who think the sky is falling are to be believed, were all gonna die.... what a way to go though eh?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Exactly, it got up my nose a bit his smugness and in the same sentence saying about the unknowns, also the part about intsead of starting slowly like they planned they scrapped that idea for a more powerful start, still it was good and really i think it should have some form of positive effect, its quite amazing just what they plan to do and how immense its been to get there

[edit on 4-9-2008 by pazcat]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bramski

It(The big bang machine) is repeated saturday at 8:30pm gmt on bbc4 and the other one is an hour before i believe.
Should be on Iplayer tomorrow though.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

This is definitely a massive experiment and just looking at the effort,resources and time they put into it, it is mind boggling

The size of the place and the speeds these particles will be moving is staggering...this is the stuff of science fiction....i just hope it lives up to the hype
i don't think it can actually

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat

Exactly, it got up my nose a bit his smugness and in the same sentence saying about the unknowns, also the part about intsead of starting slowly like they planned they scrapped that idea for a more powerful start, still it was good and really i think it should have some form of positive effect, its quite amazing just what they plan to do and how immense its been to get there

Due to GF issues I was forced into watching Eastenders I will be watching the second documentary in a few mins although the narrator seems to be that arrogant little young scientist with the face you want to punch, he was on a few other documentaries and seems to be to type to be more concerned with building a fan base than investigating sound science, is that the guy you're on about?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

lol...unlucky, you should watch though.
It is the guy(i think?)..lol...he sounds like mark lawrenson from MOTD too....
Don't you love BBC4?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

That sounds exactly like the guy, also he had a dodgy haircut, but really he could of just been excited about it all a relatively young guy but its probably the same one.

And also i dont think it will live up to all the hype, at best it will give a few answers to a few equations and likely create more questions, nothing relevant to come out of it for us laye folk, not for quite a while anyway.

edit: Brian Cox it was i believe

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
A fitting surname me thinks

Anywho I'll go watch it, above the noise of moulin rouge...again.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
LHC wont create a black hole, it wont do anything other then find new particles, it wont find the Higgs and it'll just be another day on the 10th.

Stop panicking and live you life's as normal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join