It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jolie posters not 'Wanted' in UK, watchdog rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Jolie posters not 'Wanted' in UK, watchdog rules

au.news.yahoo.com

LONDON (Reuters) - Angelina Jolie might ooze Hollywood glamour, but if she's armed and looking dangerous, the actress is not welcome in Britain.

Britain's media watchdog, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), has banned two posters of Jolie promoting the film "Wanted" after upholding complaints that the images of the gun-toting actress glamorized the use of guns and violence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Dear lord when will the censorship end? I mean come on, it's easy to understand banning those types of images on TV before a certain time but this is taking things a little too far.

The ASA said it had received 17 complaints from people who thought the ads were irresponsible because they glorify and glamorize gun crime at a time when there is increasing public concern in Britain about it.

On the basis of 17 complaints!!!!

I can understand that people are worried about the growing knife violence in the UK but surely something as monumental as this censorship should be based off a little more than 17 complaints, out of a city of millions.

Not only that but they mention the 'glamorising of gun crime' when in fact it is knife violence that is worrying the citizens of the UK.

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
To b honest, this kind of thing would have angered me deeply a few years ago but now it just makes me think that Britain is officially lost to the morons that run it.

Maybe they should go ahead and ban images of guns altogether.

I look forward to the day when New-Labour is officially kicked out of No.10, although im not holding out much hope for the conservatives.....

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is just typical of Britain today, political correctness gone firkin mad.

I now go out of my way to be politically incorrect. Stuff them all I say.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Yes its great is it not, we cannot look at posters but we can look at gun toting fascist thugs patrolling the streets. When the people of a nation loose the right to defend themselves thats when you know your living in a dictatorship.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This is getting ridiculous. I'm curious about the poster. Wanna see!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
From what I can find is one of the images in question. The other one (apparently depicting her brandishing guns over the hood of a car) is proving a little harder to find.

[edit on 4/9/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Just for information purposes, people might want to read about who the ASA are, where their funding comes from and what their powers are, before jumping to conclusions

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well Hollywood is not wanted in many parts of the world where the totalitarian governments fear that Hollywood might inspire people to stand up to them.

Political correctness indeed. Can't have the people thinking they can own illegal weapons when the nanny's fought so hard to take them away.

I just looked up the ASA and I see that they are an independent self created group and seem to have no affiliation with government. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I noticed on this page it list the council who makes all the decisions and it tells when they were appointed. Just wondering who appointed them? How can a group like this have so much power when they seem to be a self appointed group?

Look at that list of wack jobs - I wouldn't want to have dinner with any of them. Let alone give them any power over me.

Couldn't people just say the hell with you and ignore them? As a form of protest people should just make copy's of the artwork and paste them everywhere.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Here in Canada, we're still wondering why so many countries freak out over nudity and swearing. Especially when we tune in on other countries TV stations.

Hey... forget you!

... lol.

Some countries need to get over their paranoia and ego problems, and let the skin be shown. There's always going to be people who look better unclothed than you, deal with it. If its the kids your worried about... I hope the hell you never let them out of their own clothes... cause that's full frontal too. lol.

Swearing is part of the language... your kids ARE going to hear it, AND use it.

I see no reason to censor these things... gore, ok, put a rating on it. But don't freak out over it. We're human, we're naturally violent. If you don't like blood and gore on top of the violence, that's understandable, just don't let your kids watch rated R movies.

But don't blame Media for the violence, when your kid is currently in your back yard playing cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, or soldiers, with plastic guns YOU bought them. lol.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Now that someone has actually looked at the ASA and the people on the boad, here's the problem as I see it.

These are people who all think they know better than anyone else, and who probably have little experience of real life and how TV etc REALLY affects people.

Most have led protected lives in the hallowed halls of academia, with a few oxbridge types in there for good measure.

They all like to think they know about life, when all they know is the THEORY of what affects people.

They can probably quote passages from dozens of reports which allege that watching violence causes violence, based on interviews with a few random nutters who were asked "did you watch violent films as a child" and on this they have based their universal theories that what affects one in this way affects everybody.

They had 17 complaints, probably from a few mary whitehouse types with nothing better to do than wander around looking for things to be outraged about.

They probaly have good intentions at heart, but they probably don't know a hell of a lot about the real world, yet they seek to protect us from ourselves and the big bad violent world in which we live, on the spurious grounds that violence ALWAYS begets violence.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but people with violent intent will always find an excuse for their own violent tendencies, and a few misguided academics have leapt on this and made a career out of it.

I really wish authorities and bodies like this would have a few people who live in the real world on the panel, just to bring them down to earth a little.

Sadly, in todays climate, where blame is the name of the game for those who seek to harm others, that's unlikely to happen.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Thanks Kryties. I don't see anything wrong with an actress brandishing a gun (or guns), posing for a poster to advertise a movie.
Or even using them in a movie. I like to be entertained when I watch a movie. Action and violence is up there on my list. If there isn't any, then it better be funny. Either that or a good documentary.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I view this with the same head shaking & disgusted bemusement I did when an ATS mod who shall remain nameless whined at me about my avatar portraying Rod Serling directing a toy raygun towards the viewer. I don't like or get people who hate firearms and I certainly don't get people who are somehow "threatened" over the mere fictional portrayal of someone using a firearm.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Is that what he's doing?

I thought he was holding up a sign. LOL

[edit on 4-9-2008 by TheComte]

[edit on 4-9-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Nah, I justed opted to slap a "censored" bar over the raygun as a form of protest. Hmmm... protest.... I am walking proof that you can still protest in America without being beaten, gassed, or otherwise molested by the Five!

(Edited because I'm a doum-asse who can't spell 'America' correctly.)

[edit on 4-9-2008 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Taking down the poster is what glamorises guns, it means you letting it take over our lives.

It's just a movie man.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Haven't heard anything lately on this.

Has England banned butter knives yet? I know they were discussing it.

Gotta love the Nanny State. But I guess that's what the Brits want.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
On topic about images of guns:

When I was young we played with toy guns that looked quite real. Some were even metal. I remember my parents bought my brother and I plastic M-16s that made an awesome machine gun sound when you pulled the trigger. Also we had western gun belts with a pair of metal cap guns. It was great.

Nowadays you can't buy a toy gun without a big red plastic tip or some weird colour on it. Nothing that looks realistic anyways. Too many kids getting killed by trigger happy cops. Society has changed a great deal.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Yeah, I always wondered why you did that to your ray gun.

Probably the same mod that deleted a couple of my posts and told it was because I defeated the auto censors. The reality of it was none of my words were on the censor list, but the mod had his own list made up in his head.

I protest by continuing to post and ignoring the dirty bastard.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

I had a BB gun in my childhood and it was broken and had the innards removed so it was just a metal barrel and stock.

To compensate for not being able to shoot BB's I got a hold of some fire crackers and I'd put them in the tip of the barrel and light them off and pretend I was shooting things.

Well, it was so loud that it got the attention of a couple cops at the Winchells donuts about a quarter mile away. When they came up on me and saw I was only about 10 they just asked me to see the gun, but didn't draw their guns. Then they confiscated my firecrackers cause the were illegal and gave me my gun back and asked that I didn't do that anymore.

They were obviously good cops and smart enough to figure it out without threatening me and just gave me a little lecture.

Today if that happened to a kid they'd probably be dragged through the court system along with their parents with fines fees and classes.

new topics

top topics

join